• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News FDA confirms Adderall shortage as largest manufacturer warns of delays through end of the year

So what's the solution then for people on it, Dexedrine or Vyvanse? Idk much about Dexedrine, a friend told me before that it felt a lot cleaner and less speedy. Unless Vyvanse is also limited since it's just more extended Adderall afaik. My brother used to take Adderall and switched to Vyvanse. I really, really dislike amphetamine, except MDMA maybe. I take Ritalin for ADHD but I only take it when I feel like it to avoid tolerance issues. I would assume Ritalin would not treat withdrawal from amphetamine given it's not in that class, just a CNS.

"While DEA has observed a significant increase in demand among domestic manufacturers to bring generic ADHD-products to a relatively stable domestic market, it has also grown increasingly concerned over how these market forces may impact the misuse of prescription stimulants among young adults, which in turn coincides with an increase in demand for illicit stimulants ( i.e., methamphetamine and cocaine). It is notable that major increases in diagnosis and treatment of ADHD coincide with FDA approval of various stimulants: Concerta (long-acting methylphenidate) in 2000, Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) in 2002, Adderall (dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate) in 2002, and Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) in 2007. These medications are all placed in schedule II because of their high abuse liability and associated risk of addiction.
Stimulants prescribed to treat ADHD are some of the most diverted drugs among adolescents with risk for the development of abuse and dependence.[1 2] Increasing diagnoses of this disorder have led to increases in filled prescriptions and changes to the APQ to meet patients' medical needs. The diversion of ADHD medications for the purposes of recreational abuse or performance enhancement is common, with approximately 5-10 percent of high school students and 5-35 percent of college students, depending on the study, misusing and diverting stimulants prescribed for ADHD.[3] As a consequence, DEA is consulting with federal partners at HHS and closely monitoring trends in licit and illicit stimulant use and corresponding diversion and misuse.

For the factors listed in 21 CFR 1303.11(b)(3) and (4), DEA registered manufacturers of controlled substances in schedules I and II provided information by submitting their individual data to DEA database systems used for reporting inventory, and for distribution, manufacturing, and estimated quota requirements to meet sales forecasts, for each class of controlled substance. See 21 CFR 1303.12, 1303.22, and part 1304.
2"

Actual demand exceeded forcasts due to telehealth prescribers. The DEA has the power to "cool" the market with regard to controlled substances since the total (or rather, maximum) quantity of production of these substances is at the discretion of the DEA.

Last edited:
So what's the solution then for people on it, Dexedrine or Vyvanse? Idk much about Dexedrine, a friend told me before that it felt a lot cleaner and less speedy. Unless Vyvanse is also limited since it's just more extended Adderall afaik. My brother used to take Adderall and switched to Vyvanse. I really, really dislike amphetamine, except MDMA maybe. I take Ritalin for ADHD but I only take it when I feel like it to avoid tolerance issues. I would assume Ritalin would not treat withdrawal from amphetamine given it's not in that class, just a CNS.

Yeah its a good question, does the DEA have separate quotas for mixed salt amphetamine and dextroamphetamine, I don't know

UPDATE to my earlier post. YES There IS now a shortage of Ritalin/Concerta and ALL Ritalin generics, in the EU. You have to go to several pharmacies and in SOME towns, there is simply none left. AND you are now limited to a one-month supply IF you can get it. (Adderall has not been offered in the EU for at least 5 years, btw).

Ritalin/Concerta are reasonable alternatives. I'm NOT saying they're equal, but I know some folks who prefer Concerta to Adderall. I don't get heart palpitations with Concerta.
But there's a shortage now and it's an issue. Per some news sources, the DEA and FDA have DENIED the pharmaceutical requests to increase production of Adderall & Ritalin, and their generics, to meet increased demand (I didn't even know the government determined how much a company could make of a legal medication).
Allegedly this is because there's been an increase in the diagnoses of ADHD since the pandemic lockdowns. And that seems to bother the government! WOW. They imposed the lockdowns on young people even when the evidence for them was sketchy. Then suicides and mental illness claims went up, and so did diagnoses of ADHD. And now they decide if we can get treated for it...

FWIW, I was on ADHD meds before the lockdown/pandemic.

Last edited:
"While DEA has observed a significant increase in demand among domestic manufacturers to bring generic ADHD-products to a relatively stable domestic market, it has also grown increasingly concerned over how these market forces may impact the misuse of prescription stimulants among young adults, which in turn coincides with an increase in demand for illicit stimulants ( i.e., methamphetamine and cocaine). It is notable that major increases in diagnosis and treatment of ADHD coincide with FDA approval of various stimulants: Concerta (long-acting methylphenidate) in 2000, Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) in 2002, Adderall (dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate) in 2002, and Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) in 2007. These medications are all placed in schedule II because of their high abuse liability and associated risk of addiction.
Stimulants prescribed to treat ADHD are some of the most diverted drugs among adolescents with risk for the development of abuse and dependence.[1 2] Increasing diagnoses of this disorder have led to increases in filled prescriptions and changes to the APQ to meet patients' medical needs. The diversion of ADHD medications for the purposes of recreational abuse or performance enhancement is common, with approximately 5-10 percent of high school students and 5-35 percent of college students, depending on the study, misusing and diverting stimulants prescribed for ADHD.[3] As a consequence, DEA is consulting with federal partners at HHS and closely monitoring trends in licit and illicit stimulant use and corresponding diversion and misuse.

For the factors listed in 21 CFR 1303.11(b)(3) and (4), DEA registered manufacturers of controlled substances in schedules I and II provided information by submitting their individual data to DEA database systems used for reporting inventory, and for distribution, manufacturing, and estimated quota requirements to meet sales forecasts, for each class of controlled substance. See 21 CFR 1303.12, 1303.22, and part 1304.
2"

Actual demand exceeded forcasts due to telehealth prescribers. The DEA has the power to "cool" the market with regard to controlled substances since the total (or rather, maximum) quantity of production of these substances is at the discretion of the DEA.

So wait they think they can “cool”
a market by making medication shortages. I’m having trouble following the logic here? But It is the DEA.. and the DEA and positive results have never had to much of an alliance.

So wait they think they can “cool”
a market by making medication shortages. I’m having trouble following the logic here? But It is the DEA.. and the DEA and positive results have never had to much of an alliance.

Yes, essentially. The real cause of this is that the DEA hasn't proportionally increased their annual production quotas for CII raw materials for a few years, despite them being aware that telehealth prescription of these drugs (specifically of adderall) has increased consumption. So they're trying to hit the brakes on all of this in a sense.

Yes, essentially. The real cause of this is that the DEA hasn't proportionally increased their annual production quotas for CII raw materials for a few years, despite them being aware that telehealth prescription of these drugs (specifically of adderall) has increased consumption. So they're trying to hit the brakes on all of this in a sense.
Or they could have just planned poorly. I wasn't aware that you could get schedules without a face to face. And I now see that Covid changed that. I wonder what the medical super groups that invested all that money in real estate and offices for the big baby boom are going to end up doing with all that. Apartments.. storage units.. time will tell.

Or they could have just planned poorly. I wasn't aware that you could get schedules without a face to face. And I now see that Covid changed that. I wonder what the medical super groups that invested all that money in real estate and offices for the big baby boom are going to end up doing with all that. Apartments.. storage units.. time will tell.

The DEA seems to be well-aware. But, ultimately if they disagree with prescribing practices they can simply refuse to increase production production quotas. But in 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic they actually increased opioid narcotic production quotas.

The DEA is known to do this periodically:

The DEA and FDA have a contentious relationship. The FDA approves more controlled substances while the DEA groans and moans. You can hear that contention here, this is in the DEA's own words:

It is notable that major increases in diagnosis and treatment of ADHD coincide with FDA approval of various stimulants: Concerta (long-acting methylphenidate) in 2000, Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) in 2002, Adderall (dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate, dextroamphetamine sulfate, and amphetamine sulfate) in 2002, and Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) in 2007. These medications are all placed in schedule II because of their high abuse liability and associated risk of addiction.

For fuck's sake. It is one of yhe easiest to make, synthetically and resolve into optical isomers. Not as if it's some new synthetic drug that requires a multi stage synthesis, with piss poor yields.
Bet anyone looking will find it's all to do with money, not technical ability, or need.

its complete shit, next thing you know all of our other lisdexamfetamines, dextroamphetamines, and every thing in between is gone. they are just trying to throw people in jail.

See yall are right. There is a major Adderall crisis but most are college students who I'm being prejudice but I would say there trying to elevate there studying thus passing college.

It doesn't surprise me at all that meth did those weird pulling effects on me in the year of 03. Now to say meth is a source of getting stuff done but for the first time I could think and focus and wasn't all over the place in my head.
I get 40 MG of Adderall a month. I won't go take advantage of him ever.. I absolutely need it. Adderall and meth are two totally different beasts. The Pharmasist said that it's not only Adderall but other drugs as well. Living in a college it town young adults are not given what they think they need. Now many may have ADD but not the debilitating kind where you can't even read a book without your mind in so many places. My doctor said it seems suspicious since it's all going down but don't expect the powers at be to tell you anything.

My current doc is 79 yrs old. He's been a psychiatrist for 50 years. He doesn't do it for the money but because he enjoys helping those who need it. I will not take advantage of him ever. I didn't even know my ADD was as bad as it was. Meth it's weird. Like coincidence happen but every time I get it, it is like God is saying ill make sure you don't get it. He's not mad at me, I was 17 yrs sober and got T boned and wasn't given anything for pain. I was in the middle of a Lyrica withdrawal. Plenty of klonopin but it doesn't help Lyrica withdrawal. So I made one decision I regret. Got so high off one bowl but now if I mess with it a these what ppl would call psychosis start to happen. Plus I'll be homeless if a start that shit again. God was Sovereignly using all of everything like the dealer to time to roommates. It was as if He was controlling everything cuz He is but He was allowing me to see behind the curtain how dangerous it is. Why on earth is fent so prevalent. It's not even fun unless you get the lowest dose patch and put it on and let it do its job but ppl are suffering because of this abuse from ppl.

There surely is a underlying reason as to why ppl seek drugs, then once they taste it it only takes something supernatural for their eyes to be completely open. I think a lot of ppl on this forum thread maybe reading into the lines. It is however hard to come by but I don't think it'll last forever. Hey tho. If I have to stop Adderall so be it. I don't know what I'll do but I won't go to meth. I know when God is warning me. I will not go to jail because I'm on 3 MG of klonopin and 900 MG of Lyrica. That's just asking to die.

Until the person wants the help you can't force them. If I could take back my heavy drug using days I would. Cuz it has caused trauma that I live with everyday. Sometimes more painful then anything.

See yall are right. There is a major Adderall crisis but most are college students who I'm being prejudice but I would say there trying to elevate there studying thus passing college.

It doesn't surprise me at all that meth did those weird pulling effects on me in the year of 03. Now to say meth is a source of getting stuff done but for the first time I could think and focus and wasn't all over the place in my head.
I get 40 MG of Adderall a month. I won't go take advantage of him ever.. I absolutely need it. Adderall and meth are two totally different beasts. The Pharmasist said that it's not only Adderall but other drugs as well. Living in a college it town young adults are not given what they think they need. Now many may have ADD but not the debilitating kind where you can't even read a book without your mind in so many places. My doctor said it seems suspicious since it's all going down but don't expect the powers at be to tell you anything.

My current doc is 79 yrs old. He's been a psychiatrist for 50 years. He doesn't do it for the money but because he enjoys helping those who need it. I will not take advantage of him ever. I didn't even know my ADD was as bad as it was. Meth it's weird. Like coincidence happen but every time I get it, it is like God is saying ill make sure you don't get it. He's not mad at me, I was 17 yrs sober and got T boned and wasn't given anything for pain. I was in the middle of a Lyrica withdrawal. Plenty of klonopin but it doesn't help Lyrica withdrawal. So I made one decision I regret. Got so high off one bowl but now if I mess with it a these what ppl would call psychosis start to happen. Plus I'll be homeless if a start that shit again. God was Sovereignly using all of everything like the dealer to time to roommates. It was as if He was controlling everything cuz He is but He was allowing me to see behind the curtain how dangerous it is. Why on earth is fent so prevalent. It's not even fun unless you get the lowest dose patch and put it on and let it do its job but ppl are suffering because of this abuse from ppl.

There surely is a underlying reason as to why ppl seek drugs, then once they taste it it only takes something supernatural for their eyes to be completely open. I think a lot of ppl on this forum thread maybe reading into the lines. It is however hard to come by but I don't think it'll last forever. Hey tho. If I have to stop Adderall so be it. I don't know what I'll do but I won't go to meth. I know when God is warning me. I will not go to jail because I'm on 3 MG of klonopin and 900 MG of Lyrica. That's just asking to die.

Until the person wants the help you can't force them. If I could take back my heavy drug using days I would. Cuz it has caused trauma that I live with everyday. Sometimes more painful then anything.

If i read that correctly, my recommendation in such a situation would be to go get some bronkaid from your pharmacy (it is held behind the pharmacy counter). It certainly isn't the same as adderall, but it will help if you can't obtain your script and are tempted to get some street meth.

Why? I don't want meth. I'm sorry maybe I said that wrong. My Pharmacy gives me 20 MG Adderall IR. It's the real stuff. If they ever gave me meth that would be the end of the entire sphere of and pharmaceutical company. Are you saying they infiltrated where something is up cuz I highly doubt that. At least with the Adderall I get it puts me into a much better focus where I can at least think. I can get an eight ball right now but that's just wreckless as hell.

I'm sorry. I reread what I wrote. It is all over the place. I've been having a real tough time in the house I'm living in. Someone who thinks everyone should bow before Him is always saying and talking shit. I'm not one to fight. But I was so pissed that a couple months ago I got meth. I said to myself if I'm going toe to toe w this nut then he's leaving in a body bag. Yet he continues on and on. I don't have the patience yet God has it taken care of. I just can't stand that he thinks of himself as so hard that no one can touch him.

I can call down 12 legions of Angels and they would make sure justice is served. I don't want to be all preachy so don't get it twisted. My faith in what God can do is like King David's tho most here are atheist, not bashing. When you know the 1 who holds the whole Universe in His hands its impossible to shake me. This dumbass stressed me out so much that I relapsed on meth after 17 yrs. That and getting into a car accident where they don't see how I survived. I'm here tho.

So, I’m curious to know your alls opinions on this. Is meth and adderral all that different?

I was thinking back to the days when I did ice a handful of times and it definitely seemed like ice was much more potent. I used it intranasally. And yet, we have multiple people like Hamilton Morris stating that their effects are nearly identical and the only reason that they make it so difficult to get legally is that they want us to buy their Big Pharma drugs.

Now, I am anti-prohibition and very much so against the war on drugs, so their definitely could be some credit to what he is saying, but it just seemed to me that meth is much stronger. Perhaps they are near identical if you use therapeutic not recreational dosages for each?

So, I’m curious to know your alls opinions on this. Is meth and adderral all that different?

I was thinking back to the days when I did ice a handful of times and it definitely seemed like ice was much more potent. I used it intranasally. And yet, we have multiple people like Hamilton Morris stating that their effects are nearly identical and the only reason that they make it so difficult to get legally is that they want us to buy their Big Pharma drugs.

Now, I am anti-prohibition and very much so against the war on drugs, so their definitely could be some credit to what he is saying, but it just seemed to me that meth is much stronger. Perhaps they are near identical if you use therapeutic not recreational dosages for each?
I don't have a ton of experience with meth but I would say at low doses they indistinguishable. IV I feel like amphetamine has a better rush than meth.

Where they differ seems to be a ceiling effect that I hit with amp....where with meth you can just go farther and farther into a psychosis and "high"

I definitely feel a difference. Meth is twice the potency, longer duration and a bit more serotonergic.

-GC

People in my area are paying for the name brand instead of going without. Just talked with a pharmacy tech at Wallmart about this. If Wallmart is out?? Also a Wallgreens was already out due to people already waiting Monday and next delivery was Friday. This was last week. Generic 5$ name/brand 200+ for some people.

This is because the fda license a specific number of a controlled substance to be produced. And if that number is lower than the genuine need then the fda just "shrugs". Id bet a bollock that the manufacturers still over produce extra and have it fall of the back of trucks. As the illicit market is worth more than the legal one. I don't believe for one second the war on drugs is based on some moral high ground but the economic benefits of an illegal drug trade. It has even more benefits when you consider prison contracts etc.

Had the counterfeit addys with meth it was like 40-50 mg addy meth had a harder come down and put me psychosis on day 4 but woke me right the fuck up every time I get to certain point on addy I feel pretty slumped everything starts getting weird but that probably at like 160-200mg total over 10-12 hrs I lose track idk how much it really was could be exaustion too it been a long week