• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

FDA Approves Candy-Flavored Amphetamines for Kids

[Dr. Carl Hart] has obviously no clue about chemistry

He's a tenured Professor of Neuropsychopharmacology at Columbia University who has been intimately involved with studying the pharmacology and pharmacokinetics of Methylamphetamine as well as Crack Cocaine in numerous animal and human trials for over a decade now.

His work has been published in several reputable medical journals over the years - something which has ticked off (financially-inconvenienced) special interest groups (Big Alcohol, Big Tobacco, Big Pharma) as well as the DEA in general (because it has consistently and categorically undermined their propaganda and "expert" opinion).

While the molecular structure of D- and L-Amphetamine obviously do not include the Methyl group in D- and L-Methamphetamine (something which he's explained during TV interviews by the mainstream media + various seminars on closely-related topics), I'd confidently say he knows more than most what he's talking about.

I'll always be too concerned/chickenshit about the health of what remains of my brain cells to get high on meth, but I greatly admire the time and effort Dr. Hart has put in to try and notify the public (with unbiased facts) about the acute and long term implications of consuming a highly-stigmatized drug such as Methylamphetamine and/or freebase Benzoylmethylecgonine (Crack Cocaine).

Edit: I will say though, that no matter how much explicit knowledge one may have regarding a family of drugs such as Substituted Phenethylamines (which includes Dextro-/Levo-Methylamphetamine and Dextro-/Levo-Amphetamine), it shall never substitute for tacit knowledge, as the latter cannot be communicated via a medium, but rather, only experienced first-hand.

And in my opinion, having some tacit knowledge on top of your explicit knowledge about the mind altering substances you're studying in a professional setting can mean the difference between declaring war on (certain/some) drugs (thus, handing the keys to a ~$350,000,000,000 USD annual business to organized crime to endlessly exploit), and choosing to adopt a harm reduction-based drug policy where education and medical attention is combined with the legalization, taxing and regulation of the lower risk psychotropic substances.

Last edited: