• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Favorite Prison Movie

WBROCKSTAR

Bluelighter
What is your favorite prison movie whether old or new???I liked The Shawshank Redemption the most for its actor choices plus its plot....I prefer when todays actors are used,but when the movie is set way back in the old days....Escape from alcatraz-Clint Eastwood and Green Mile- Tom Hanks were good ones too

I really enjoyed "Bronson," as rather than being about how prison breaks people it's about a man who literally makes fighting the system and never being defeated by it part of his identity. If you're in the right mood Takashi Miike's "Big Bang Love, Juvenile A" makes for a wild ride.

Related: Favorite Mental Hospital movie: Lunacy

Last edited:
Aside from all of the above mentioned, I'll add Midnight Express, Birdman of Alcartaz, One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest, Animal Factory, In the Name of the Father, Alien 3, Jon Voight was good in Runaway Train....old school. Face Off wasn't bad.

Does The Rock count as a "Prison Movie"? How about American History X

• cool hand luke
  • the great escape
  • midnight express
  • dead man walking
  • stir crazy
alasdair

^ Second Stir Crazy. One of the funniest films I've ever seen.

stircrazyt081310.jpg

Can't believe no-one's mentioned 'Scum' with a young Ray Winstone, one of the most brutal films I've ever seen, even to this day... "Where's ya tool..."

nice mentions, aussie. i remember thinking quite a bit of Animal Factory--as solid critique of the system and good story. not of the same echelon as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest nor American History X, but neither of those are what came to mind when i read "Favorite Prison Movie." i was too young everytime i've seen The Shawshank Redemption to have a real opinion.

I think Shawshank had one of the best cast of almost any prison movie....Somebody told me that a popular movie was filmed at the old prison where I live( Nashville TN) Does anyone know which movie that might be???

I think Shawshank had one of the best cast of almost any prison movie....Somebody told me that a popular movie was filmed at the old prison where I live( Nashville TN) Does anyone know which movie that might be???

Look at my first post in this thread.

Somebody told me that a popular movie was filmed at the old prison where I live( Nashville TN) Does anyone know which movie that might be???

There have been quite a few movies filmed in Tennessee State Prison. Nashville, Marie: A True Story, Ernest Goes to Jail, The Green Mile, The Last Castle, and Against the Wall are the ones listed on the TSP wikipedia page.

I think it was Green Mile

theses arent exclusively prison movies but there is alot of prison action in it

I Love You Philip Morris
Chopper

theses arent exclusively prison movies but there is alot of prison action in it

I Love You Philip Morris

I was pretty disappointed with that movie. Of course going into it I thought it was something to do with the tobacco companies. I thought it would be a movie between The Insider and Thank You for Smoking. Instead it was Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor in a love story.

I was also disappointed with Dead Man Walking. Maybe disappointed is the wrong word, but I didn't find it to be as an amazing story as it was built up to be. Also the music really bugged me, and it bugged me even more when I found out that it was nominated for an Oscar for best music. I think Tropic Thunder ruined the vocalization that seems to take place a lot in dramatic sequences of movies. A similar song was used in The Insider as well and it just seemed corny.

I forget what it was called, maybe someone can help me

movie I caught on turner classic movies

it was about this guy locked up, in solitary, and they let him start collecting birds in his cell, he became the bird master....but eventually got strict on amount of birds he can have/books to read