• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Favorite Comedy TV Shows?

Ton Croose

Bluelighter
What are your favorite comedy shows? I have a lot, but am always on the hunt for more.

Here are a few of mine:

North American:
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (still going but dropped off since season 13. Still the GOAT imo)
  • Arrested Development (very solid series, was great when they did a reunion season)
  • Workaholics (was great but they ended it at the right time as the last season dropped off)
  • Corporate (from a few years ago, sadly cancelled)
  • Nathan For You (very dry Canadian)
  • Review with Forrest MacNeil (most underrated show here)
  • The Office (variable but there are so many episodes it makes the list)
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm (some of the more recent seasons have been better than ever)
UK and Worldwide:
  • Fawlty Towers (70s sitcom with John Cleese from Monty Python)
  • Alan Partridge (awesome character from various series)
  • Brass Eye (and other Chris Morris stuff like Jam, The Day Today)
  • The Office (and other Gervais stuff)
  • Flight Of The Conchords (New Zealand meets the US)
  • What We Do In The Shadows (one of the minority still going, adapted from film of same name)
  • The Young Ones (classic early 80s from "alternative comics")
YouTube:
  • Kill Tony (weekly open mic)
  • Various standups (Bill Burr, Bill Hicks, Louis CK, Doug Stanhope, Stewart Lee etc...)
  • Kyle Dunnigan (much of it is meh, but there is loads of content and some diamonds in the rough e.g. Ben Shapiro as Joe Biden's butler)

Last edited:
Not in any particular order, but here are some I will always love:
  • The middle - typical working/middle class family sitcom, three kids and two parents, not quite outstanding in any way in my opinion, but something I like to sit down and watch after a longer day or listen to as I do other stuff.
  • Malcolm in the middle - working class family, three boys and two parents, we follow they day to day struggle whit money and family issues, the series was never shy to address more taboo topics, like doesn't loving your kid right after the birth or trying to climb the social ladder as someone with not the best background.
  • According to Jim - somewhere in the middle between Malcolm and The middle. Two parents and three kids, more on the middle class rather than working class, often more funny than serious but has many episodes tickling topics like vasectomy, infertility or father-son/daughter bonding.
  • 'allo, 'allo - WWII time comedy and I loved it so much as I kid - my mom still has the dvds, even as we don't have a dvd player for quite a while now. René owns a small restaurant what he runs with the help of his wife, he also has some kind of love affair with the two waitresses, (but this is also heavily on the funny side) and his wife also has a secret lover for her own. The main story is that they secretly help the British (an agent lady and a twin duo) while trying to not get killed by the Gestapo (also hilarious characters, and an italian fascist dictator also got some screen time next to them) Some funnier parts -
  • You Rang, M'Lord? - 1920', upper-working class sitcom, as we follow both the wealthy family and the servants of them. Funny stuff, our main character is a young housekeeper Ivy, really naive and really new for the job. The characters are a bit trope, but have enough personality on their own to make the show really charming.
  • Buddha of suburbia - We had to read the book for a class, and I loved it. I started watching the series not so long ago, but is also seem great - 70' England, Karim is a young boy seeking success and love as a "new breed of Englishman" (his father is form India, but he was born in England) Comments heavily on race and class, definitely something that will make you think.
  • Bob's burger - I think this is a quite well known animated sitcom.

i'm happy to see nathan for you and review get mentions. they're both absolutely amazing shows.

if you enjoy nathan for you you've likely already discovered the rehearsal. it's simply sublime. the 4th episode - the fielder method - was mind-blowing.

alasdair

some stuff i have enjoyed more recently:
  • after life
  • detectorists
  • episodes
  • mythic quest
  • the outlaws
  • toast of tinseltown
alasdair

some stuff i have enjoyed more recently:
  • after life
  • detectorists
  • episodes
  • mythic quest
  • the outlaws
  • toast of tinseltown
alasdair
Haven't heard of a single one of those. Guess it's time to start branching out.

The U.S. TV show Better Off Ted (2009-2010) is an excellent show that flew too far under the radar. It was prematurely canned, but it was much better than most shows on network television. We can add Pushing Daisies to that list, too.

The Office (UK & US)
Peep Show
IT Crowd
Ideal
Family Guy
American Dad
The Young Ones

There’s def more but can’t think at the min.

Seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm for us tv and peep show and monkey dust from the uk. The German version of the office (called Stromberg) was also very good but apart from that Germany is a comedy wasteland.

I usually watch older shows because they're SO much better than today's stuff.
  • The Thick of It
  • Fawlty Towers
  • Married with Children
  • South Park
  • Doc Martin
  • Monty Python's Flying Circus
  • The Hollowmen

Not a comedy show per se, but Six Feet Under had some delightful moments of (often dark) comedy. Also, it was just a damn good show in general and had one of the best final episodes ever of any genre.

PS-- In the category of true comedy shows, my favorites were:
Boston Legal
RENO 911!
The Office
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Parks and Recreation
Curb Your Enthusiasm
American Dad!
Futurama

Last edited:
Shameless (UK)

Magnificent. Rewatch after nearly, a decade & still is stupid- funny. Frank's Shakespearean sililoquoys & political/philosophical rants are sometimes relatable, unfortunately.

Last edited: