those were my favorite when i was around 7

they were mini books each one about a different character
and a story related to the adjective related to the mister

images

images

images

images

images

anyway there was a bunch of them, i guess it was like pokemon, gotta catch (read) em all

monsieur maladroit sounds so much better than mr. clumsy.

:)

alasdair

^this is getting creepy, i was going to post that book as my next post in this thread!

there are some complex concepts in these books, but they were also written with a certain innocence..but yeah, still very thought-provoking....it may have seemed kind of dense when you first tried to read it. :)

I assure you A Wrinkle In Time wasn't "dense" to me when I first read

while most of my peers were interested Goosebumps, I was halfway through the entire Redwall series (which is also one of my most favorite books as a kid, I recommend):

redwall_20th.jpg

A Wrinkle In Time stars off "it was a dark and stormy night." are you effing serious? gimme a break. I do remember the stuff about the space-and-time continuum to be interesting, but if I remember correctly the guides of the children were angels

angels? again, gimme a break

Some great books mentioned here, a lot are certainly taking me back! :D

FrankHerbert_Dune_1st.jpg

I think Dune was my introduction to Sci-Fi, definitely a favourite.

Guilty pleasures:

Tintin_and_Snowy.png
Asterix1.png

axl blaze said:

while most of my peers were interested Goosebumps, I was halfway through the entire Redwall series (which is also one of my most favorite books as a kid, I recommend):

A Wrinkle In Time stars off "it was a dark and stormy night." are you effing serious? gimme a break. I do remember the stuff about the space-and-time continuum to be interesting, but if I remember correctly the guides of the children were angels

It wasn't an accusation, just a guess:) Since I didn't know how old you were when you "first read it", I presumed you might have been very young and that would be understandable. :)

the book is science-fiction fantasy with religious allusions as metaphors and foreshadowing. seemed fine to me. :)

My next selection is THE EYES OF THE DRAGON by Stephen King

eyescover.jpg

Relatively unknown among his library of literature, and stylistically separate from his other work as well.

Once upon a time, in the Kingdom of Delain, King Roland is murdered and his son and heir, Peter, is framed for the crime. Peter and his loyal friends must battle an evil wizard and Peter's usurper brother, Thomas, for the throne. Imprisoned in a tower, Peter conceives an escape plan that will take him years to execute before taking on Flagg, the powerful sorcerer who has masterminded this coup.

redwall_20th.jpg

This reminds of The Secret of NIMH for some reason.

2010: Odyssey Two, by Arthur C. Clarke.

2010ui6.jpg

*A decade after the fateful events that resulted in the loss of David Bowman and Hal, Heywood Floyd, the former official responsible for sending the Discovery to Jupiter returns with a Soviet-American team to find out what went wrong, and to plumb the mystery of the Monolith...

This was a hard choice, but I picked this one because it is the first adult novel that really blew me away, as well as the book that unequivocally sparked my interest in writing; I imitated Clarke's style for years.

P.S.--I'm pleased as punch that someone mentioned Replay, one of the very best books I've ever read.

Last edited:
P.S.--I'm pleased as punch that someone mentioned Replay, one of the very best books I've ever read.

:) Yes, it is quite nice to finally meet someone else that has shared the experience of this book. It is also one of my favorites reads ever. :D

My next selection:

A WIND IN THE DOOR by Madeliene L'Engle

n16546.jpg

Second in the Time Quartet(or, Quintet) after A WRINKLE IN TIME

"There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden," announces six-year-old Charles Wallace Murry in the opening sentence of The Wind in the Door. His older sister, Meg, doubts it. She figures he's seen something strange, but dragons—a "dollop of dragons," a "drove of dragons," even a "drive of dragons"—seem highly unlikely. As it turns out, Charles Wallace is right about the dragons—though the sea of eyes (merry eyes, wise eyes, ferocious eyes, kitten eyes, dragon eyes, opening and closing) and wings (in constant motion) is actually a benevolent cherubim (of a singularly plural sort) named Proginoskes who has come to help save Charles Wallace from a serious illness."

Sophie's World

sophiesworld.jpg

This book provides a plot which uncovers the history of philosophy in the style of a mystery novel. It opened my mind to many new philosophical concepts I never knew of before. It basically is a Introduction to Philosophy Course +1 with the author's view of each philosophy in an accessibly written language that one can read as a young teenager. I also highly recommend it to adults, because it is written for adults that aren't awash in academia. Even if you have advanced critical thinking capabilities and a capacity to have been exposed to all of the important fields of philosophy, I still recommend it for idle entertainment.

Also, props to axl blaze for plugging Redwall. :)

Half Days and Patched Pants
Very interesting and engrossing book, have read it lots of times and always found it hard to put down
it covers the experiances of a boy and his friends during the Australian Great Depression but you dont need to be familiar with the historical events to enjoy the book :p
half%20days.gif

Full Days and Pressed Pants

Sequel to the other book and its just as good :)
full%20days.gif

Let me also plug Louis Sachar's Sideways Stories from Wayside School and Wayside School is Falling Down, which none have mentioned yet.

9780380731480.jpg

waysideschoolisfallingdown.jpg

The surreal comedy of these books--they're books that literally read as strangely as the back matter says--kept me entertained on many an evening. :) Even today, when I lose a sock I sometimes get the idle thought that it might be in the fridge. ;)

And to close out my contribution to the thread, I can't forget these:

the-cave-of-time.jpg

I have 36 books in this series, and they remain my proudest childhood book collection to the present, the more so for being very hard to find these days. :)