• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fatigue - what physical activity (exercise) did help you?

lecroute

Bluelighter
This is partly a curiosity question, partly because I'm finally in a condition to restart excersing. I'm a little limited by where I live (no exotic MA or fencing classes here) and what I can do (like jogging/running). But I'm sure you guys can give me some inspiration.

Help in what way? For mild withdrawals from codeine or kratom or low dose opioids, if you can get out of bed anything that'll get endorphins pumping (push-ups, planking, running, lifting, exercise in general is good) helps stimulate your receptors endogenously, which will help with withdrawals and to get your mind off them. Your question is rather vague. Sorry if I misunderstood. If you're looking to improve on a certain part of yourself, focus on an exercise that strains that part (ie: legs; squats). Hope this helps.

Jogging is life. Invest in a good pair of running shoes. It's my favorite activity outside of drugs and has tremendous benefits.

Help in what way? For mild withdrawals from codeine or kratom or low dose opioids, if you can get out of bed anything that'll get endorphins pumping (push-ups, planking, running, lifting, exercise in general is good) helps stimulate your receptors endogenously, which will help with withdrawals and to get your mind off them. Your question is rather vague. Sorry if I misunderstood. If you're looking to improve on a certain part of yourself, focus on an exercise that strains that part (ie: legs; squats). Hope this helps.
You are right. My question is very vague. It's the result of writing half a novel and deciding nobody wants or needs to know all the boring detail.
I'm not in WD of anything, not that I'm aware of, anyway. But your answer is easily translated to my specific problem. Which is probably withdrawal from physical activity and non-drug induced dopamine secretion (couldn't do rewarding things).
Jogging is life. Invest in a good pair of running shoes. It's my favorite activity outside of drugs and has tremendous benefits.
I know jogging works for a lot of people, and it's great because you can do it almost everywhere at cero cost. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. There's some kind of blockage I have there, I don't know, but I try and after ten meters or so I stop, asking myself what the fuck I'm doing.
Same goes for biking.
Absolutely no fun for me whatsoever.
always riding a mountain bike or cycling. (core cardio endurance strength)

breathing.
Breathing is definitely a thing I have to work on as I tend to hyperventilate. This is bad even when not doing cardio, and one of the reasons I wasn't able to wear a facemask during the COVID years (after fainting for the fifth time in public, I never went anywhere where you had to wear a mask. Which was almost everywhere where I live until mid-2022)

Last edited:
I know jogging works for a lot of people, and it's great because you can do it almost everywhere at cero cost. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. There's some kind of blockage I have there, I don't know, but I try and after ten meters or so I stop, asking myself what the fuck I'm doing.
Same goes for biking.
Absolutely no fun for me whatsoever.
I'm the same way with other exercises. I don't get any fun out of it, it's boring.

But running is something I quite literally enjoy doing. It's almost like a drug to me, it's meditative. I get very depressed when I can't run.

Maybe try biking? Similar benefits to jogging but intrinsically less boring.

I'm the same way with other exercises. I don't get any fun out of it, it's boring.

But running is something I quite literally enjoy doing. It's almost like a drug to me, it's meditative. I get very depressed when I can't run.

Biking is the same as jogging.
I used to walk a lot. That was my thing. I walked everywhere, even if it took me an hour to get from A to B. While walking I can think, it definitely increases my creativity. But I can also observe what's going on around me. Which is stimulating, and in turn in readers creativity.
I stopped doing it because of COVID, after the lockdown when people were everywhere I used to walk (the beach) and everyone had to wear face masks. Like I said in the previous post, I had very bad experiences with it. When people were allowed to be outside without wearing a mask, I was in a bad living situation that didn't invite for long walks.
Now I moved to a (new) town and house, and days aren't so hot anymore and I decided to make some other life changes like not depending on other people's schedules. So I think I will just start walking again!

Mm... This turned out to be more of an inner dialogue

biking for me. i also like MA but, failing that just calisthenics/freeweights and a heavy punching bag would be amazing.

I use to be the same way when I was a kid; about going on long rides on my GT BMX bike( yes I grew up in the 80's and 90's) and also the same with relatively long skateboard rides.
But middle age, and abusing your body( alcohol, tobacco, ect) just kills that. I used to love weight lifting and because both my parents had been athletic, when I was younger, I was the same way. But it seems that when you have spent over 2 decades, using hugh amounts of booze, and then are put on downers: there is no hope. I was athletic, but on my own terms. But I truly believe, that you reach a certain age, and been sedentary for so long. Well, other than long walks to a bar or two, that it just dies. I had some video games and stuff, but during the times when it was above freezing out, I loved long bike rides, usually to some destination to a different town, alone or better with like minded people. I still remember being like 13 or 14 and and my buddy and 2 other friends, coming over and saying, ( I forget her name) get your swim shorts and a towel, we gotta a chick who said she can have some guys over for a pool party and riding 15 miles up and down hills( I lived outside Pittsburgh at the time and those hills were a bitch with only one gear. But even so the ride was great, but brutal( the gear ratio, on my GT Mach 1 was not ideal for hills, but it didn't matter, I enjoyed the brutal ride and a nice cool swimming pool, chicks in bathing suits and food waiting at the destination. Then plotting the way home and stopping off at places and enjoying the summer.
Even though I moved a lot between the ages of 12-16, I loved long bike rides. I didn't realize anything about endorphins or whatever, but even alone it was so peaceful and I enjoyed the exercise and going around the various suburbs I lived in and visiting other ones. Meeting girls, going to new places; exercise was fun.
Especially when you had a destination, like a chick who has a pool, going over to a girls house you met at the mall(it was the late 80's and early 90's) or even to a friend's house that was miles away.
But, when you get older, things change.
When you stop exercising for so long, it is nearly impossible to get motivated. When I outgrew, my bike, I would drive to the gym and I actually liked weight lifting, and saw results.
Then college, other than walking places, not much exercise. And most of the fun when in college, is well, mostly indoors stuff. Lol
I don't know how, I could ever start working out and exercising again. I think I dove head first into, the sedentary lifestyle and When that has defined your entire adult life, it seems impossible to start working out, even though there are several nice gyms nearby and ads for cheap memberships.

Last edited:
biking for me. i also like MA but, failing that just calisthenics/freeweights and a heavy punching bag would be amazing.
Callisthenics is what I have in mind, but I would have to incorporate some stretching.
Then start walking. I'm training my dogs to walk on a leash (they grew up in the middle of nowhere) because I notice they want to go out with me. But then, I don't want them to "know" other streets with more traffic, so they won't go there when I let them run free. So I think it's going to be just me walking for a while, which is fine. I could start with walking to the greengrocer'swhixh is about four blocks and then add more distance. Yeah I discovered a gym that's affordable.
I think what's keeping me stuck in the house is my job. So that's also something I have to change (not the job itself, but how I work).

Last edited:
Just walking to the store for me really, I find that if I spend a little bit of money on something to motivate me to walk it works GREAT! Like every time.

- Baphomet
:vampire::vampire::vampire:

Just walking to the store for me really, I find that if I spend a little bit of money on something to motivate me to walk it works GREAT! Like every time.

- Baphomet
:vampire::vampire::vampire:
I don't necessarily have to buy something, but having a goal in mind or something specific to do at some place motivates me, too.

I'll second the biking for stimulating the endorphins. You can achieve such an incredible biker high that works incredibly well for opiate withdrawal (the PAWS part; I wouldn't advise it in the acute stage nor would I expect one to have the ability).

I used to do hip-hop dance and I know that once I started I could go forever (I actually did both classes, which was almost120 minutes) and that was after waiting tables during peak time. Then back home to shower and change and walk to wherever I was meeting up with my friends. There was definitely a lot of neurotransmitter activity in my brain at that time (only on nicotine and alcohol because hey, meeting friends in a bar)

I just lay out in the sun 🌞. Take a dog for a walk. Generally seeing how much fun the dog is having just sniffing around helps take my mind off of whatever woes I have going on.