Mental Health Father cold turkeyed benzos worried

I would ask the pharmacist if the lisinopril would help with the benzo withdrawal. It's an ace-inhibitor, which I am not familiar with. The Indural is a beta blocker, so I'm guessing they have different modes of action and one may work better than the other. Medically, your father has a lot going on and I am not comfortable making specific recommendations, though I do know keeping blood pressure down during the withdrawal does help. Call the pharmacy and let them know what's going on, and let them know all the medications he's currently taking. They would know if there are any potentially dangerous interactions, and also of an ace inhibitor would be effective in this situation.

How's your Dad doing right now?

I just got back from the pharmacy to give him the lisinopril. He seemed more coherent when i got back and said as long as he can see one of us while hes talking he can keep himself straight but if he doesnt see someone it screws with him. Hes alot calmer just laying on his bed watching tv. I gave him some yogurt since his blood sugar went down to 65

Can't do this with him anymore he refuses to go to his appointment now its the first time in my life I've been so angry. Im mentally exhausted and cant do this anymore with him.

I know it's hard. Try to force him to go to the appointment. See if there's a way to get him into rehab - that's the best place for him going through benzo withdrawal. Try not to take it personally - your father is not himself and is feeling horrible.

these doctors keep trying to say he cant still be going through benzo withdrawal after a few weeks... he was on 6mg for 12 years

these doctors keep trying to say he cant still be going through benzo withdrawal after a few weeks... he was on 6mg for 12 years

He absolutely can go through withdrawal. When he first quits he will go through acute withdrawal, and then after a while he will transition into Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS), which lasts significantly longer. You need to find new doctors, as the ones you're seeing are very ignorant when it comes to benzodiazepines. I didn't feel like utter death until 30 days after my last benzo, and it just got worse until about 6 months after my last benzo, and then it slowly (very very slowly), started to get better. I struggled for a year and a half, and my story is not unusual for long term benzo users.

He absolutely can go through withdrawal. When he first quits he will go through acute withdrawal, and then after a while he will transition into Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS), which lasts significantly longer. You need to find new doctors, as the ones you're seeing are very ignorant when it comes to benzodiazepines. I didn't feel like utter death until 30 days after my last benzo, and it just got worse until about 6 months after my last benzo, and then it slowly (very very slowly), started to get better. I struggled for a year and a half, and my story is not unusual for long term benzo users.

these were the doctors at the hospital atleast the next hospital i took him to took it more seriously. they couldnt commit him psychiatricly because he doesnt have a history of mental health and this is obviously medication caused. They are trying to hold him on medical hold so they can treat him

the doctors were geting him adavan 1mg every 4 hours and then switched him to 1mg clonopin till the morning when i bring in his medicine bottle because the er doctor didnt document it properly >< he seemed more coherent when i visited him last night ill be heading over there soon

Great news! Will they be able to give him a script should they discharge him?

he was still having issues throughout the night between crazy and normal. I'm not sure if it was because of the dose being so low but they're taking him in for a catscan the doctor wants to rule out dementia.

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say as its outside of my scope of experience to stop benzos and then start them again. This may be normal or it may be a symptom of something else going on - from the medication you listed he has a couple of serious other conditions, or maybe something entirely unrelated. It would be nice to have someone else respond who has had multiple attempts at stopping longterm benzo use, as I would be interested to hear as well. Fortunately your father is in the hospital where they can monitor him 24/7. Out of curiosity, how old is your father?

I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know what to say as its outside of my scope of experience to stop benzos and then start them again. This may be normal or it may be a symptom of something else going on - from the medication you listed he has a couple of serious other conditions, or maybe something entirely unrelated. It would be nice to have someone else respond who has had multiple attempts at stopping longterm benzo use, as I would be interested to hear as well. Fortunately your father is in the hospital where they can monitor him 24/7. Out of curiosity, how old is your father?

hes 50 years old the ct said that they saw some atrophy of the brain which I was reading a study that said long term high use of benzos can contribute to it. They had to restrain him early this morning since he attacked a nurse with a cane. Me and my brother got there and he was angry and then 5 min later hees normal then another 10 min hes back to angry and confused.

he ended up getting moved to the psych floor for observation hes still just as bad they're puting him on haldol now

Thx for the update. So sorry he is going through that, I hope he gets better.

Thx for the update. So sorry he is going through that, I hope he gets better.

I do too they were giving him 2mg klonopin and it didn't seem to help him at all. Hes just as paranoid as before the psychatrist said its probably a dilerium from the high benzo use and withdrawal

suppobly the haldol they put him on is working well I'll know more tomorrow or the day after if it holds

This thread makes me so very sad. You should contact a lawyer. The doctor that cut him off cold turkey needs to lose his license.

This thread makes me so very sad. You should contact a lawyer. The doctor that cut him off cold turkey needs to lose his license.

I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if we had a case or not. He was put on klonopin after a back injury for years and was at a 6mg dose which even the doctor at the hospital said was super high. When we went in to discuss wheening off the medication thats when he hit us with the "ill help you for 6 weeks then we have to stop" thing. He made no reference to the dangers of coming off the klonopin at all just wrote his scripts took our money and sent us on our way.

I was thinking about that but wasn't sure if we had a case or not. He was put on klonopin after a back injury for years and was at a 6mg dose which even the doctor at the hospital said was super high. When we went in to discuss wheening off the medication thats when he hit us with the "ill help you for 6 weeks then we have to stop" thing. He made no reference to the dangers of coming off the klonopin at all just wrote his scripts took our money and sent us on our way.
I honestly don't know if you have a legal case but a complaint to the medical board is free and easy. Talk to a lawyer.