Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Fargo

Wasnt the best one, so I guess only 1 left? Hrm...

not the best, but set up nicely for the ending. i don't know, i'm so into this show that even the "plot centered" episodes get me fired up. finale is going to be 90 minutes. gonna be lots of death. i hope that shitbag lester wins.

Yeah, the finale wasn't as "explosive" as you'd expect, but then after all the shit that's happened, it closed things out well enough.

But an amazing fucking show overall. BBT of course was great, but Martin Freeman just fucking suprised me till the end. He was superb.

He really should get nominated. And best episode? I can't recall the name, but Glenn Howerton's epic death, and the fucking snow shoot-out. Just great television, IMO.

Man, I fuckin' hated Lester by the time I started watching the finale.

NSFW:
The way he did that Asian woman was just fuuucked up.

Dude, Lester was straight up G!

I mean he was a fucking prick, but I kinda wished he had gotten away...

I felt the same way right up until the second-to-last episode of the season.

By the time I got around to the finale I was okay with everybody dying. Didn't really see the role Gus was going to have in it until it became super obvious, though.

Whatever happened to Lester's brother?

After Lester fucked him over he basically disappeared from the storyline and into the prison system, BUT.... my favorite deputy determined that he definitely didn't commit the crime they thought he had, but we still never heard of him or saw the guy after we saw him screaming at Lester while he was in hold-up somewhere around the midway mark of the season.

So, I was entirely convinced that this was actually a true story. I tried looking into the real case to see what next season might look like, but I guess the story is complete fiction.

Oh, Coens.

Seemed too hard to believe they were the exact events like it said. Too many fuck ups and people and cops being thick as shit to be believed.

I don't ever believe that shit when I see it, not since Blair Witch, man.

Seemed too hard to believe they were the exact events like it said. Too many fuck ups and people and cops being thick as shit to be believed.

Yeah. Like they don't have murder poh-leece in Minnesota. Sure it's a small town but when a Sherrif or whatever the hell he was gets blown away I'm pretty sure the big city coppers would take over the investigation pretty quick smart.

I don't ever believe that shit when I see it, not since Blair Witch, man.

=D

The true story thing was just a plot device used by the cohens. Noah Hawley repeated it for the series.

Come on people, you haven't seen the movie?

Why is okay for the Coen's to use "the true story thing" as a "device"?

How are they different from the Blair Witch Project people?

(The movie was absurdly over-rated, much of the hype revolving around the word "ya".)

Why is okay for the Coen's to use "the true story thing" as a "device"?

How are they different from the Blair Witch Project people?

(The movie was absurdly over-rated, much of the hype revolving around the word "ya".)

... Fargo predates Blair Witch.

And that fucking movie(BWP) was overrated, not Fargo.

I'm aware that Fargo predates Blair Witch Project. Not sure what your point is, regardless. As for which one is over-rated... Blair Witch Project received the critical response it deserved, more or less: it was a shit film, that was received badly But, I'm not sure why they can't both be over-rated, anyway. Their relative receptions - whether positive or negative - are not mutually exclusive, are they?

The reason I mentioned Blair Witch Project is because it used the same gimmicky, manipulative marketing tool that Fargo used. They lead audiences to believe that it was a true story, for financial gain. The funny thing is, I remember people being pissed off when Blair Witch did it. And, now, the same people are more than willing to excuse the same behavior.

Why?

I think it's because Joel and Ethan Coen have so concretely established themselves as respectable and talented film-makers, that their work (and/or any work associated with them) is automatically elevated to a high-art standard that it doesn't necessarily deserve. They are, as far as most fanboys/critics are concerned, infallible.

There are countless others.

If Nebraska was Alexander Payne's first film, for example, it wouldn't have been nominated for 6 academy awards. Payne's work decreases in quality, significantly, as his critical acclaim rises. Generally there is an inversely proportional relationship between the media's induction of the artist as a celebrity, and the quality of their work.

Fargo, like Nebraska, would not have received the same level of critical acclaim if the Coens hadn't already established themselves as worthy suitors with their other (far superior, but less award-generating) films like Barton Fink and The Hudsucker Proxy. It was a novelty film, owing a good portion of it's appeal to the a particular branch of the previously untapped quirkiness that is small-town middle-America.

Steve Buscemi & Peter Stormare's characters were entertaining. The rest of Fargo (the film) was cute/quirky filler. I remember a lot of people finding the way the locals talked really amusing. Personally, I found Frances McDormand's repetition of the word "ya" more than a little grinding. (I should point out that I've never been particularly impressed with her wide-eyed over-acting. If she wasn't married to Ethan, she wouldn't be in all their films. She's like Helena B. Carter in Tim Burton films.)

But fuck all that. Let's say Fargo was a really good film. The question, which no-one has even attempted to address, remains. Why adapt it into a TV show that has absolutely nothing to do with the film, aside from the title? What am I missing? Why does this project exist? And if there's no reason for it to exist, aside from branding/name-recognition, then doesn't it set a terrible precedent?

Robert Rodriquez's TV adaptation of "From Dusk Till Dawn", which was a horrible sell-out, makes more sense than this.

^ But the 'ya' thing is actually how they talk... you can find it grating but it's not a 'gimmick'.

I do see your points in asking 'why'? And yes, maybe it was a good way to get more people to watch. That said, I enjoyed it and I don't really feel the need to question 'why' I liked it when I just, well, do.

It's hard for me to think that you're not justifying hating the show because you didn't like the movie in the first place.

I did like the movie. I just don't think it warranted the reception it received. As for the 'ya' thing, it was Frances McDormand's over-acting that made it a little grating (for me). They may say 'ya' in Minnesota, but McDormand was playing it up for laughs. And, personally, I find accent-related humor to be one of the lowest forms of throw-away gag. Like Julianne Moore's Boston accent on '30 Rock'. At the time, people said to me: "but, that's how people from Boston talk!" ... Well, no. It isn't. It's overdone for humorous affect, which is fine for a disposable sitcom episode or two. But, it's not the making of a great film.

1. Exlcuding the (arguably grinding) caricature of Minnesota, what makes Fargo a great film?

2. Why is it more acceptable for the Coen Brothers to breach film-making ethics, than it is for the producers of the Blair Witch Project?

I get it, by the way. You enjoyed Fargo TV and you aren't motivated to question that, but you aren't asking the questions. I am. All you have to do is respond, assuming there is a response. It will take you as long to answer the question, than it will to say "I don't want to answer them." So, since you've already joined the discussion, why not humor me? I've had this conversation with many people, including people in the industry. So far, no one has provided me with a satisfactory answer to either question.