• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

False positive for meth?

Hurryupandwait

Greenlighter
What in the world? I've smoked zero meth. That is fhe truth but my drug test threw a positive. I do take allegara for allergies. Would this throw a false positive?
Please help. I can stop taking now as I've got some time before the drug test that counts.

I'm not sure if drug testing is allowed of this nature. However to calm your anxiety, this same exact thing has happen to me years ago.

Cheap cup drug tests have given me false positives for things I've never even taken. Their reliability is questionable. I got a false positive for amphetamines while taking trazodone and propranolol, apparently the metabolites of those two can cause a false positive. I wouldn't worry about it too much, worst case scenario request for it to be lab tested to ensure it was a false positive.

I do take allegara for allergies.

Do you take the "Allegra-D" version? If so, there's your answer: That one also contains pseudoephedrine (or "beta-hydroxy-methamphetamine", if you will), which differs from methamphetamine by just a single oxygen atom.

@Hodor was about to say the same. But yes betahydroxymethamphetime is basically meth with one less oxygen atom.
So allegra-d is pharmaceutical grade meth.. That will be the reason for your positive... But you shouldnt be in any trouble if you have a prescription... if not.. well depends on your situation.

@Hodor was about to say the same. But yes betahydroxymethamphetime is basically meth with one less oxygen atom.
So allegra-d is pharmaceutical grade meth...

No, Pseudoephedrine is Methamphetamine with an extra oxygen atom, not the other way round.

That is why Methamphetamine is sometimes called "Desoxyephedrine", and, conversely, Pseudoephedrine could be called "Hydroxymethamphetamine".

Pseudoephedrine is not "pharm grade meth", but structurally it is so close that it will cause a false positive on a piss test.

Years ago, I was at an adolescent rehab, and had gone on a home pass. Unfortunately, I was feeling under the weather and had taken an Allegra-D. When I went back to the rehab, I took my routine piss test (it went to the lab), and a week later I was being accused of doing amps/meth . Thank God my parents vouched for me and said they gave me the Allegra-D. This was back in 2003. So I don't know if the lab tests nowadays are more specific where hopefully no one goes through this issue.

I had fake regular allegara sure enough! So that's the answer. Crazy isn't it? I just take it over the counter, but my doctor is aware I take it. Guess it's good for anyone taking that to have it put on record. Thanks for your answers!!