• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

falling short at being an adult

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i can't quite find the right thread for this. please merge if it already exists.

today i had my bike and a shopping bag, so i punched in my tenant number on the intercom. it goes to your phone and you can press 9 and it buzzes people in through both the lobby and main doors. easier than unlocking both doors carrying a bike with your hands full. my phone didn't ring, it went straight to voicemail, and said my voicemail was full (it's not).

when a number i don't know calls a bunch of time but doesn't leave a voicemail, i figure it's spam and block it. i've blocked my building intercom. now i gotta ask my building manager what number our intercom calls from. i already know he's gonna say something like, "why? you can't call it. it's a machine." in a way that's so serious sounding i'll never know if he's joking or not. bilingual people can do that.

There are definitely some trials and tribulations associated with being a tenant in some of these places lol. The heat doesn't work so great where I live and it's been falling into the -10 to -15 degree range regularly. A few days ago a bad solder popped on one of the pipes connected to the heat system here and my bedroom flooded with water.

Deep breaths, deep breaths ;)

oh man, did it ruin anything? you got tenant insurance?

i used to but didn't renew because i couldn't figure out my password to the billing portal (they set it and it isn't what they say they set it to) and there is no reset button or even a number you can call in.

i told my insurance broker i'm done with somewhere that doesn't even have a number, so she got me a quote from somewhere else that covers like 100 times more value than i own but has a $1k deductible. i'm trying to think of something i own that's even worth $1k. my computer. if that gets stolen, i don't care about the fiscal value of the computer stuff; i would want my hard drive of photography projects back, which insurance can't make happen. and my bike, but i gotta check with my broker to see if tenant insurance even covers your bike if it's stolen outside of your apartment. without those two items, i'm not sure the total fiscal value of all i possess equals that deductible.

alright! got my intercom unblocked. figured out what number it is by going to my "blocked messages." which is apparently a category in iphones. the number with a bunch of voicemails with people asking me to buzz them in was the one to unblock.

i've said this before, but i'm definitely not getting an apple again. why is it saving messages from numbers i've blocked.

couldn't you hang the shopping bag on the handlebar to free up a hand for the doohickey that people commonly use to unlock doors with?

sure, but you gotta unlock the door and then pull it open while the key is twisted. if you're carrying a bike and a shopping bag up stairs, wouldn't you rather the door be unlocked?

it's not a time trial bike you can lift with your pinky. it's my commuter with fenders and a u-bolt attached that weighs much as a small anchor. all the while it's single digits fahrenheit out and i'm in two pairs of gloves messing with a keyring that has two bike keys, a mailroom key, two front door keys, two apartment keys (deadbolt and that handle lock), gym card, library card, and who knows what else in the mix.

pressing 9 on my cell would have been preferable. yes, i still got in using hands and keys.

if i wouldn't have tried the intercom way, i'd still have no idea why people thought it didn't work. people had told me. i'd brushed them off thinking they probably don't even know the password to their own computer, let alone how to use by building's intercom system.

Last edited:
fire code probably. like everything that's a pain with doors.

even if i don't have a shopping bag, i don't like having to make sure i pull my bike or whatever else completely through the doorframe before the door closes on it. very few things were designed to be slammed in a door.

oh well if you don't want your stuff damaged by angry doors you have to master the art of door footsy. THEN you will be a certified adult!

trained in both arts at the same academy?

if i want to go to the grocery store, i have 51 minutes until i need to be checked out. i don't really need to. depends how cold it is outside.

it's 18 degrees fahrenheit. i might not. though i've got some great boots and jacket. designed for this scenario.

same temps here, and there was a snowstorm all over EST yesterday. you bike in this weather? that's some dedication...

same temps here, and there was a snowstorm all over EST yesterday. you bike in this weather? that's some dedication...
FUCK.THE.SNOW. i opened my window earlier to get some fresh air in the house, nothing like opening the window a tiiiiiny bit and having snow billow into your place

^i got my windows open a crack. when it gets cold, whoever is in charge of the boiler in my building overcompensates.

yes i bike in this weather. when i got on my bike this morning, it was 2 degrees fahrenheit . when i got back home, which was 4 or 5 hours later, it had risen to 9 degrees fahrenheit. it's picking up out there now -- 19 degrees fahrenheit. we'll be at 20 degrees before the night is over. 22 degrees by tomorrow morning.

it was snowing here yesterday. or the day before. whichever day it was, it wasn't that cold. when you looked out the window there were gusts of snow so thick it looked perilous. yet it was about 28 degrees out. if you had pockets or long sleeves, you didn't even need gloves.

i went to the grocery store. wore the right boots but the wrong jacket. the one i wore was insulating, but not stylish for produce shopping.

Is this adult thing like mandatory where you live?

I decided a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago that adult sounded like to much hard work and nowhere near as much fun as staying a kid.

I imagine if there's an afterlife, hopefully I will be rich enough to wake up with no power.