• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Faith-based rehab centers

I read the suicide rates are high in the 12 step groups. Years ago i tried one,. I would leave the meeting to get drunk so didn't work. I don't buy the "you're weak / higher power bs". They just switch their addictions to coffee and cigarettes.
Very cult like, either you're 100% sober or a creatin

I went to an NA meeting once in my life. It came to my turn to talk, i was a kid, like 20 years old, and i mentioned oxycontin, and this woman interrupted me saying, "you can't mentioned the drug by name". That was the last time I went to one. She was actually smoking hot, but a bitch. Those fuckers did seem on edge, chain smoking sonofabitches

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The thing is religious dogma hurts us more than it helps us. the extremists only have power because they stand on the shoulders of the moderates. Im not saying remove religious freedom, no, people should have that freedom. but I whole heartedly believe wed be better off without all the supernatural stuff. That was all developed to give people answers who had no accces to real answers.

Now real answers are just one voice command to your smartphone. So lets use education and whatever tools we have to reduce their impact and their outdated supernatural nonsensicals that seem to teeming at brim these days.

Sorry if that didnt make much sense im pretty zanned out, but seriously religion is the scourge of modern humanity and that is my view. I believe in helping people in the best way possible and I dont believe religion is way to do that. People should have that free choice but we should use education and facts to gently and friendly guide them away, to secularism.

What OP is talking about is the exact opposite. her coworkers have become a part of a dangerous cult by being taken advantage of. Not acceptable. Use education or flattety or whatever you can to get these people on the right track without cultist, discriminatory behavior.

Sorry if that did not make sense im pretty barred right now. goodnight!
All of the anti-religous zeal in this thread forgets that religion is a pretty broad class of things. Many people get spiritual guidance from religion, that I think cannot be debated. Now, what can be debated is their methods:

Fundamentalists are a plague, who won't rest until the world burns or thinks like them; luckily they are not the totality of religion (I'm gonna fully disclose that I'm pro religion because my folks have bounced around chuches: progressive catholic, to shitty regressive Catholic (took 3 days for them to quit and my mom almost walked out mid mass because the priest was such an ass), to unitarian-universal church of christ, to plain unitarian. I went to unitarian Sunday school where we learned about other religions (in 3 week segments) and the third week would visit their place of worship. I am not religious at all (hardline agnostic with atheist preferences), but there are plenty of moderate religions out there (and not just the fairly to very progressive ones that I have personal experience with via my folks. I think there are plenty of sexts (I will use branches of Christianity just due to familiarity (tho this should be the same about any faith), that value not being pushy, and hold generally positive and non-culty (as in they don't prostelytize and allow for self determination) views. I know this seems like a big post defending those predatory rehabs you are complaining about (which are imo little better than getting enthralled into a sex cult to quit your habit of choices), but all the anti-religous posting in this thread just made me want to offer some counterpoint. Spirituality is hard and its a lot easier when all you have to do is show up once a week and buy into whatever is said (which at worst is a high pressure time share pitch on your soul and at best is an hour of community and philosophy).

Cheers and sorry bout the drones, sounds like a drag. I can definately empathize. At my work all my coworkers have dogs so all conversation revolves around that, but they have the decency to not tell me I'm going to hell for not being a dog owner/lover.

I went to an NA meeting once in my life. It came to my turn to talk, i was a kid, like 20 years old, and i mentioned oxycontin, and this woman interrupted me saying, "you can't mentioned the drug by name". That was the last time I went to one. She was actually smoking hot, but a bitch. Those fuckers did seem on edge, chain smoking sonofabitches
I would've left too.

My friend's brother is currently in one of these rehab centers and it is working well for him. He's off crack, cigs, and alcohol. He is becoming more responsible and hardworking also he's less aggressive and violent; which was a big problem even before he got on drugs. although he is a bit preachy now but I think that just his autism.
I know it wont work for everybody but imo we could all use a bit of faith and community in this modernity hellscape we live in.