• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Faith-based rehab centers

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
I landed a job at a factory that doesn't discriminate against current and recovering addicts--so as long as you're not high while on the clock. I'm very grateful for this job. I can't complain despite the lack of AC, given the decent pay, great hours/schedule, weekends and holidays off, etc. Also, they pay you $100 cash for every month that you aren't tardy or a no-show and pay you $100 for every employee that you recruit. They actually tend to employ mostly newly naturalized citizens, parolees, and recovering addicts. I've noticed a pattern/red flags about the employees from faith-based rehab centers that struck me as odd (who are either there willingly or court-ordered and they don't receive pay). I've learned some things. Practically all of them are VERY religious, physically fit, are only allowed to listen to Christian music, and they all want to speak with you about their Lord and savior. I'm glad they are bettering their lives, but I couldn't help but notice that they seem somewhat cult/hive-minded--as if part of the program is insistent that you convert to Christianity if you aren't already "saved". They seem to believe that recovery is impossible without the acknowledgment of a higher power--which I respectfully disagree with. I have nothing against Christianity. I believe in Jesus and the existence of a God/higher power, just not in the traditional sense that is taught in the bible. I guess what I'm wondering is if this is typical of faith-based in-patient rehab programs. Most of them are recovering from meth addiction, except for maybe 1 or 2 who are ex-alcoholics or opiate addicts. Even most of our supervisors are former members of that particular program. I've always told myself that when I decide I'm ready to seek help for my painkiller addiction, I'd rather go with an out-patient methadone maintenance program. Meeting these folks reinforced that notion despite most of them being very kind-hearted and understanding. I just can't get behind the whole hyper-focus on religion. Is this normal or cult-like? Maybe I'm just reading too much into it.

Last edited:
My opinion; religion has no place in a work environment. It's personal stuff, bringing it in to work is unprofessional. I'm not sure what circumstances led you there but you've every right to tell them you're not interested, you don't want to hear it and you never have to feel excluded because you don't share their beliefs.

Well done on landing a job though, I hope it goes well and the whole faith thing is something you can work around.

My opinion; religion has no place in a work environment. It's personal stuff, bringing it in to work is unprofessional. I'm not sure what circumstances led you there but you've every right to tell them you're not interested, you don't want to hear it and you never have to feel excluded because you don't share their beliefs.
I'm glad you agree. I just took the job because I'm broke, saw "Now Hiring" signs outside the business, it's less than 5 minutes from where I live, and found that the pros greatly outweigh the cons. The fact that they aren't biased against drug-users was just pure luck or an awesome coincidence on my behalf. I didn't want to come off as a jerk or anything, but I just never understood the relevance between religion and drug addiction. They're all really kind. 1 even bought me a pack of smokes (which I didn't ask for). So far none of them have tried to forcefully convert me, but most of them have brought up religion to me in some way or another--in which I say few words, given they wouldn't understand my unorthodox take on God and Jesus.

Last edited:
I have nothing against people having their beliefs and I really don't mean to project. I've just been around religious groups who seemed nice on the surface but would then tell me with a smile "hey man, if you want to smoke pot and make god angry and spend eternity in a pit of fire with the gays and Nirvana fans, that's up to you - no judgement 😇".

I'm like "Uhh.. what? 😲"..

Religion preys on the weak and vulnerable, they are the easiest to convert. Its fucking disgusting.
I mean, I don't knock religious folks, but it is kinda creepy. Weak-mindedness crossed my mind, but in that same breath, one might say being weak-minded enough to fall prey to addiction is what landed them there in the first place. I have no room to talk in that department. I just can't follow religious scripture that I don't fully agree with. I have my own beliefs regarding God and consider myself "a believer"--just not how they believe. The Bible seems like an elaborate fairy tale that has been highly misinterpreted in my opinion. All the "miracles" and shit that supposedly happened can only be explained by science or possible extraterrestrial intervention, but that's just my take. It's the only way I can make sense of it. It's easier for me to believe in aliens than angels and demons. Millions and possibly billions of people have claimed to have had close encounters with ET's, but I have not heard of a single person who has seen an actual angel or demon (and if they claim that they have, they're far more cooky than those who believe in ET's-- such as myself). I'm sure they'd think I'm nuts if I explained my beliefs, so I don't even bother. In fact, I'm sure I'm setting myself up for ridicule by just stating my own beliefs on here.

Last edited:
See how it goes anyway, they might actually understand you have your own thing going and respect that.

I think it's normal to have uncertainties about new jobs and new people in any case.

I have nothing against people having their beliefs and I really don't mean to project. I've just been around religious groups who seemed nice on the surface but would then tell me with a smile "hey man, if you want to smoke pot and make god angry and spend eternity in a pit of fire with the gays and Nirvana fans, that's up to you - no judgement 😇".

I'm like "Uhh.. what? 😲"..
I love Nirvana. They'd lose my respect instantly if they criticized my taste in music. So far none have. We're allowed to listen to music while working. It's just a shame they're forced to listen to such crappy music (in my opinion). I do hate the holier-than-thou types though. I've met at least 1 who acts like her shit doesn't stink anymore and she's the only one who seems kinda fake so far. She's a very preachy chick, but I think she picked up on my lack of interest that I don't feel the need to be redeemed or converted.

I mean, the higher power/12 step stuff is a tried and true method to get sober. If you actually commit to it and do the work, you will get sober and process all of your character flaws. So it's no wonder there are religious people around it. But it's a spiritual, not religious program. Has nothing to do with Jesus or any other deity, it's the personal higher power you want to talk to. Most people brush it off as cultish/hyperreligious and don't commit because they just don't get it. But people that push the religious angle are definitely overbearing.

Now, that isn't to say it's the only way to get sober.

Also, I'm not sure this post is fit for Other Drugs, and I'm wondering where it could be sent. There are a lot of potential options.

Good, thoughtful and interesting post. Congrats on the job as well.

I mean, I don't knock religious folks, but it is kinda creepy. Weak-mindedness crossed my mind, but in that same breath, one might say being weak-minded enough to fall prey to addiction is what landed them there in the first place. I have no room to talk in that department. I just can't follow religious scripture that I don't fully agree with. I have my own beliefs regarding God and consider myself "a believer"--just not how they believe. The Bible seems like an elaborate fairy tale that has been highly misinterpreted in my opinion. All the "miracles" and shit that supposedly happened can only be explained by science or possible extraterrestrial intervention, but that's just my take. It's the only way I can make sense of it. It's easier for me to believe in aliens than angels and demons. Millions and possibly billions of people have claimed to have had close encounters with ET's, but I have not heard of a single person who has seen an actual angel or demon (and if they claim that they have, they're far more cooky than those who believe in ET's-- such as myself). I'm sure they'd think I'm nuts if I explained my beliefs, so I don't even bother. In fact, I'm sure I'm setting myself up for ridicule by just stating my own beliefs on here.
I dont blame the addicts either, infact I dont really blame the perps here either because they probably started as victims too, probably either from birth or from a vulnerable time in their lives. These are also the kind of people the alt right or any other cult would target.

I think the root of the problem is dangerous ideologies with no focus. The bible is so long winded and contradictory you can use it to justify just about anything. Maybe it served us in the past, maybe it didnt but we have certainly outgrown it now. Its really the only thing we still cling to from the iron age, and its time for it to GO. (EDIT: For clarification, I don't mean eradicate religious people, I mean give people freedom of religion while also educating them about more constructive views on the universe. Discrimination has no place in a better tomorrow)

Many other types of treatment are just as effective if not more.

Last edited:
I dont blame the addicts either, infact I dont really blame the perps here either because they probably started as victims too, probably either from birth or from a vulnerable time in their lives. These are also the kind of people the alt right or any other cult would target.

I think the root of the problem is dangerous ideaologies with no focus. The bible is so long winded and contradictory you can use it to justify just about anything. Maybe it served us in the past, maybe it didnt but we have certainly outgrown it now. Its really the only thing we still cling to from the iron age, and its time for it to GO.

Many other types of treatment are just as effective if not more.
Lol, people use religion to push plenty of ignorant shit, but that doesn't make the faith obsolete. Plenty of people have faith that aren't dogmatic, and religious texts help people understand the world and gain faith. In such a shit show hellscape world, faith can help people find comfort.

I mean, the higher power/12 step stuff is a tried and true method to get sober. If you actually commit to it and do the work, you will get sober and process all of your character flaws. So it's no wonder there are religious people around it. But it's a spiritual, not religious program. Has nothing to do with Jesus or any other deity, it's the personal higher power you want to talk to. Most people brush it off as cultish/hyperreligious and don't commit because they just don't get it. But people that push the religious angle are definitely overbearing.

Now, that isn't to say it's the only way to get sober.

Also, I'm not sure this post is fit for Other Drugs, and I'm wondering where it could be sent. There are a lot of potential options.

Good, thoughtful and interesting post. Congrats on the job as well.
Yeah, they're specifically a Christian-based rehab center. I guess that's common here in the southern US. Sorry if I posted in the wrong place. I wasn't sure where this topic would fit.

I guess to the founders of religious rehabs it all boils down to "if it's helping you get clean, that's all that matters". I just dislike the persistence from such programs. Even Jews, Buddhists, Muslims, Satanists, and Atheists need help with recovery. What are they gonna do? Turn them down if they refuse to recognize Jesus as their Lord and savior? If they do, then that's when programs such as theirs would lose my respect. That's where help ends and bias begins.

Lol, people use religion to push plenty of ignorant shit, but that doesn't make the faith obsolete. Plenty of people have faith that aren't dogmatic, and religious texts help people understand the world and gain faith. In such a shit show hellscape world, faith can help people find comfort.
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The thing is religious dogma hurts us more than it helps us. the extremists only have power because they stand on the shoulders of the moderates. Im not saying remove religious freedom, no, people should have that freedom. but I whole heartedly believe wed be better off without all the supernatural stuff. That was all developed to give people answers who had no accces to real answers.

Now real answers are just one voice command to your smartphone. So lets use education and whatever tools we have to reduce their impact and their outdated supernatural nonsensicals that seem to teeming at brim these days.

Sorry if that didnt make much sense im pretty zanned out, but seriously religion is the scourge of modern humanity and that is my view. I believe in helping people in the best way possible and I dont believe religion is way to do that. People should have that free choice but we should use education and facts to gently and friendly guide them away, to secularism.

What OP is talking about is the exact opposite. her coworkers have become a part of a dangerous cult by being taken advantage of. Not acceptable. Use education or flattety or whatever you can to get these people on the right track without cultist, discriminatory behavior.

Sorry if that did not make sense im pretty barred right now. goodnight!

Last edited:
Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The thing is religious dogma hurts us more than it helps us. the extremists only have power because they stand on the shoulders of the moderates. Im not saying remove religious freedom, no, people should have that freedom. but I whole heartedly believe wed be better off without all the supernatural stuff. That was all developed to give people answers who had no accces to real answers.

Now real answers are just one voice command to your smartphone. So lets use education and whatever tools we have to reduce their impact and their outdated supernatural nonsensicals that seem to teeming at brim these days.

Sorry if that didnt make much sense im pretty zanned out, but seriously religion is the scourge of modern humanity and that is my view. I believe in helping people in the best way possible and I dont believe religion is way to do that. People should have that free choice but we should use education and facts to gently and friendly guide them to a better and more fulfilling life

What OP is talking about is the exact opposite. her coworkers have become a part of a dangerous cult by being taken advantage of. Not acceptable. Use education or flattety or whatever you can to get these people on the right track without cultist, discriminatory behavior.

Sorry if that did not make sense im pretty barred right now. goodnight!
The irony being that your belief in science relies on just as much dogma and "faith". You don't truly understand how electricity works. You don't truly understand why you have an electronic encyclopedia in your hand. You just have it. Science can attempt to explain how these things work, but even that is just a theory. Science is a still just a product of the flawed human mind.

You can not say with absolute certainty that God doesn't exist, just like you can't say that God exists either. It's typical human hubris to claim that you have absolute knowledge on any of these subjects. The universe is humongous and we are small travelers on a flying sphere. Reality could be ANYthing. A simulation. An alien game. The product of the big bang. Or the creation of a higher power.

Science and religion both require faith.

Claiming absolute knowledge is simply a human attempt to play God.

@FunctionalJnkieGrl Good job on landing that job! I think you're doing the right/smart thing; being rational, weighing the pros and the cons and going from there. Share your convictions if you like, ..or not. I wouldn't mind getting "ridiculed" by "religious folks"; that's kind of a funny thought in itself I find. If the recruiting thing becomes too agressive, I would have zero scruple to tell them to fuck right off. Regarding music: I think this is a matter of respect on the one hand (who am I to assume that othes want to hear my/or whatever kind of music), on the other hand, if the job requires actual thinking, music can be a no-go..

Ad normal vs. cult-like: It depends I guess, this preaching thing can/could be institutionalized. Sadly I have witnessed this closely myself and I have to agree with @Pickledlemons, targeting people in a vulnerable situation, e.g. drug rehab, is absolutely disgusting/disgraceful. The other thing I noticed is, people often start to overtly/overly display their faith when they, deep down, have serious doubts about it. If faith-based recovery is a reasonable means to an end, I'm not sure. You're off the heroin, but now your life is mentally confined to this Jesus-prison, for example, ..hmm. :unsure:

Science and religion both require faith.
Maybe, but these are pretty different in nature. Statements like that are popular among religious folks, sort of to "upgrade" their faith or make it sound on par with scientific reasoning (..or make it appear less ridiculous, depending what it exactly is). Anyway..

Maybe, but these are pretty different in nature. Statements like that are popular among religious folks, sort of to "upgrade" their faith or make it sound on par with scientific reasoning (..or make it appear less ridiculous, depending what it exactly is). Anyway..
Scientific method is obvs more provable and realistic. I'm just pushing back on plemons belief that religion shouldn't exist. That's just as extreme and dogmatic as the people that are in this "cult".

You're off the heroin, but now your life is mentally confined to this Jesus-prison, for example
Seeing as how chronic, relapsing opioid use disorder mostly lands people either in the morgue or in prison, I'd think it'd be preferable to have joined a religion.

I'm not part of any religion honestly, it just bothers me when people consider religion a "scourge". It's just painting everything with too broad of a brush.

In their mind, converting you is to save your soul, so I hardly think people are being "taken advantage of" and "preyed on". If people are happy that they've found religion or spirituality, why the insistence that it's some terrible, awful thing? Yeah, people can be preachy, and people can be bigoted, but a little faith based rehab is hardly akin to the scourge of humanity.