• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Factory-like mills feed ravenous NYC heroin market

villian

Bluelighter
In many ways, the reputed drug dealers on Grandview Place were good neighbors.

Their two-story, red-brick home in the New York City suburb of Fort Lee, New Jersey, looked perfectly ordinary with its white trim, gable porch and manicured shrubbery. Neither noise nor sketchy visitors were an issue, authorities say.

The only sign that something was amiss was the rented van that would disappear into a lower-level garage each day. The driver's job: To deliver immigrant workers from the inner city to package heroin in thousands-upon-thousands of glassine envelopes stamped with catchy logos like "LeBron James" and "Roger Dat."

The Fort Lee operation represented the new, more serene face of the ever-thriving heroin trade in the New York City area, the drug's national epicenter, according to the Manhattan-based narcotics investigators who shut it down.

"It can still be a violent, dirty business, but it's changed," said Bill Cook, a veteran investigator with the Office of the Special Narcotics Prosecutor for New York City.

Absent are scenes out of films like "American Gangster," with kingpins flaunting their wealth, settling turf wars with brazen gunplay and serving a clientele of strung-out junkies queuing up to buy low-grade product.

full @ http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44399001/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TmYYVpGBbtg

Nothing new here.

I'll save you guys the trouble and post the most interesting part:
The DEA has seized about 205 pounds (93 kilograms) of heroin in New York City and the rest of the state so far this year, a pace that would eclipse the 278 pounds (126 kilograms) total last year and the 169 pounds (77 kilograms) in 2009. The seizures this year have accounted for a quarter of those for the entire nation.

The heroin flooding the region — sold in kilograms — carries an average wholesale price of about $60,000 per kilo. The retailers who package it can cut a kilo to a 50-percent purity level using powdered vitamin B or other nontoxic substances. That provides enough drugs to fill 30,000 single-dose glassine envelopes that would be sold for $5 each to street-level dealers, who in turn charge customers $10 to $15. In the end, after subtracting the cost of the kilo, wages and other expenses, the mill operator would turn a $70,000 profit per kilo.

50% purity?
i distinctly remember seeing news articles with quotes from DEA agents and higher ups saying they seize 90% purity heroin sometimes in major cities in the northeast from relatively low level dealers/traffickers
i doubt all the heroin in NYC is 50% pure at best, no WAY
and i've never done dope or anything, but dont bags of dope cost like 5 to 10 dolla, 10 tops not 10 to 15 dolla?

50%purity on a street sample is high as shit. I love when people are like "no way dude, my man gets his shit off the kilo, he's a chemist and knows the purity is 90%+" If there was 90% pure dope going around on the street, ppl would be dropping left and right.

Yeah, I also doubt the 90% purity bit. Sure, it's possible and has happened, but it doesn't make sense financially... I mean, think about the average size of a bag and its strength, you really think that's 90% pure dope? Compare it to pure morphine or oxycodone... You're telling me a 100mg bag of 90% pure heroin is only equal to about 50-80 mg's of oxycodone, which is what an average bag equals to? (All ime, of course.)

I'd compare a bag of good heroin to roughly 240 mg of oral oxycodone.

The retailers who package it can cut a kilo to a 50-percent purity level using powdered vitamin B or other nontoxic substances.

It says they can do that, it doesn't mean they do.

Buying heroin in NYC seems like so much more of an interesting experience to buying it ANYWHERE in the UK.
Over here, your treated like a prick and it's just "Whaddya want?", "3 dark", "5mins", *dealer arrives*, "got the cash", "yeh", *dealer passes the brown (possibly out of his mouth, if your in the south or pocket in Manchester)*, "cheers mate", *both user and dealer leave*.

Over there people shout... "got the Charlie Sheen, shit hot yo! good price" so much more fun BUT the end result is the same...

I'd compare a bag of good heroin to roughly 240 mg of oral oxycodone.
Wow. I never got into oral oxycodone, but I've never heard of any compare a snorted bag of dope to more than 80, give or take a bit, of snorted oxy.

You're talking about a 100mg bag, right. ;)

^whoops, not snorted. I meant IV heroin vs. oral oxycodone. I was thinking purity of >80%, so an 80 mg dose of heroin (80% of 100 mg).

Heroin of course has the added bonus of entering the CNS, like, immediately so it's hard to compare the two.

Here's a case study that sort of agrees:

NSFW:
1. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999 Jul;18(1):53-5.

The relative potency between high dose oral oxycodone and intravenous morphine: a
case illustration.

Zhukovsky DS, Walsh D, Doona M.

Department of Medical Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA.

Comment in
J Pain Symptom Manage. 2000 May;19(5):326-7.

Oxycodone is an effective opioid analgesic for cancer pain. In the United States,
it is available exclusively as an oral formulation, predominantly in fixed dose
combination with acetaminophen or aspirin. The latter limits its use in cancer
pain due to the potential toxicity of the nonopioid component. Oxycodone is now
available as a single agent, controlled release formulation. The following case
report of an opioid tolerant cancer patient taking repeated high doses of oral
oxycodone supports the use of a 1:1 milligram conversion ratio for oral morphine
and oral oxycodone. This patient's clinical course indicates that oral oxycodone
can be used safely and to good effect at high dose, that the milligram relative
potency ratio for oral oxycodone to parenteral morphine during repeated dosing is
3:1
, and suggests that availability of multiple formulations of oxycodone may
benefit cancer patients.

PMID: 10439573 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I really have nothing to back this up with, but i would be shocked if most of the street level dope in the U.S. is over 50%-60%. I really don't think anyone can say for sure, besides the DEA ovbisouly. just my 2cents, from the dope I've done in the past 3 years.

todays dope is trash these days.. 8-10 years ago is a diff. story.. i guess recessions hit everyone though, even the dope dealerpress

High purity heroin makes oxycodone feel like codeine in comparison, imo.

Last edited:
it aint like that at all man. Its all indoors and phone/delivery conects nothin like what u probly think. if ur thinking its like the show the wire then u couldnt be more wrong about the nyc dope scene. very very underground these days

Here in NJ people stand on corners shouting dope dope dope and also the stamp name. There is some good stuff. Usually yeah 50% purity is pushing it. It is usually cut with something to make it more of an opiate, like perks of even Fetanyl. So no matter what you feel it high.

Yea here in Jersey, especially the Newark area, the dope is a higher quality then probably all other areas of the country. I've noticed (an perhaps its just me) that whenever you get dope in colored bags, i.e. other then white that the quality is always very very good! Only thing I dislike is the large amounts of baby laxatives being used to cut the batch.