• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Facebook: Hate it or Love it?

MissNervosa

Bluelighter
Are you addicted to facebook? Shun it because of the terms of service? Just think it's plain retarded? Only use occasionally to keep in touch with friends?

-does friend count matter?
-how tight are your privacy settings?
-do you only friend ppl you know IRL or happily accept randoms?
-love it as a stalking tool?
-use it for networking?
-why do you love it/hate it?

Aaaand go! :D

I think Facebook has its purpose which is connecting with people you might not have seen in a while. Other than that I think its kind of pointless as it is basically twitter to most people. I dont use any social networking sites

I have a love/hate relationship with facebook.On one hand it's a great time waster,way to make new friends and (in my case anyway) really handy for networking.I've gotten quite a few modelling jobs just from connecting with the right people on fb.
The hate bit is my own fault really.I set my modelling albums to public view (for networking purposes) and the amount of sleazy dickheads and borderline stalkers I end up attracting makes me ragey :X Oh and also people that bullied me and hated me in high school sending me friend requests,wtf is with that?! You were a douchebag then,and most likely a douchbag now,so fuck off,not interested.

I actually really hate twitter.I tried for ages to get into it,but for a start,I'm more of a visual person,so just putting links to pics isn't enough for me.Neither are the 140 characters.I'm quite verbose,and end up talking entirely in text speak just to fit everything in.
I can see how it might be handy if you have a business,but as a purely social tool,I feel like I'm taking to myself.There isn't nearly enough interaction for my liking.

Twitter is the best for my needs, I barely check my FB anymore. I did enjoy FB the first few months I used it, but I found better elsewhere I guess.

I use my real name on my FB profile but my FB privacy settings are as tight as can be (nothing I've posted is public, only friends of friends can send me friend requests, I never upload my personal pictures, etc.). I'm also very careful about what I post there.

I like to use social networks to share links to interesting stuff that I read on the web, so Twitter rules IMO. Plus, as I don't use my actual name on Twitter, I feel that I have more freedom to post links that reveal my political opinions or my personal interests without getting in an argument over it with a family member.

Why's that ChickenScratch?

when myspace first came out i had a buddy set one up for me. i told him i wanted nothing to do with it, but if he wanted to set it up, to be my guest. within minutes of the account getting created i was getting messages from people that i'd prefer not to get messages from...it creeped me out and i immediately deleted it.

now, that was years ago. i see facebook as something that can be useful. i get it. i do. but i personally can't stand it, and feel that it makes people lazy as far as real personal relationships go. i like to pick up the phone and call old friends. it seems like the only way people keep in touch anymore is via facebook. i guess i'm old fashioned like that. it just annoys me. social media in general annoys me....of course, the exception is drug boards. i like those. i like them a lot.

i'm sure facebook is entertaining, but i'd rather not be involved with it.

The most recent time I deleted my FB acct it was because I set all the apps I had to not post as me or post about my activities and they continued to do so anyways.

FB is about data mining and marketing above all else. Its value to users and to the corporate overlords is that its kind of where most everyone is at. I think at some point millions maybe billions of people will drop it like a bad habit-more a wish than a prediction.

Funnily enough my job requires me to have a facebook account, and work is by far the main reason I'm on there. I just find facebook really boring, and I find it a chore to use. It often takes me far too long to reply to messages or comments because of this, which sometimes makes people think I don't care.

I'm pretty indifferent to it really. I definitely think it has its uses, it can help forge connections with people you wouldn't have a reason to text/call otherwise, and in that way I think it has the potential to forge and strengthen relationships. It's a good way to organise events as well.

I suppose I tend to feel a bit disdainful about people who are addicted to it and feel the need to post statuses multiple times a day, though it's a touch hypocritical given I spend way too much time on BL :)

I suppose I tend to feel a bit disdainful about people who are addicted to it and feel the need to post statuses multiple times a day, though it's a touch hypocritical given I spend way too much time on BL :)

Haha, BL has totally replaced FB in my heart too! :)

yeh, BL and local forums are like my FB because people post stuff that's either genuinely entertaining or thought-provoking unlike FB where people just repost viral garbage like that Kony vid I never did watch. I don't even know how to use FB, seems like it's constantly changing like some kind of twisted convenience store where the clerks reorganize the shelves daily to make it as inconvenient as possible.

the worst is when people have conversations in real life about conversations they had on facebook. that shit makes me want to kill kittens and eat batteries.

you mean you guys dont care if that girl you did an English report with in 10th grade likes "The top ten signs of a 90's kid"?

^ you got that right :)
But if you've managed to place all your supposed 'friends' in carefully curated lists, you won't be bothered by that kind of information popping up on your news feed....

Still, Twitter and Tumblr rule!

I've gone through the motions with Facebook, from enjoying it to absolutely hating it which resulted in me deleting it for 3 months.

I've learnt that its only a problem for me if I'm not actively involved in other aspects of life, then it can turn into me nitpicking at all the crap that is so often posted on there.. otherwise it's merely an interface for me to share my experiences with friends and family.

It's been a great medium for sharing details of my travelling.

Facebook status update: "I just ate a cheese sandwhich"
(true, posted today from a friend, should I say virtual friend as on FB I have 155 friends, in real life maybe 2)

Funnily enough my job requires me to have a facebook account, and work is by far the main reason I'm on there. I just find facebook really boring, and I find it a chore to use. It often takes me far too long to reply to messages or comments because of this, which sometimes makes people think I don't care.

I'm pretty indifferent to it really. I definitely think it has its uses, it can help forge connections with people you wouldn't have a reason to text/call otherwise, and in that way I think it has the potential to forge and strengthen relationships. It's a good way to organise events as well.

Lol the funny thing is I deactivated my fb account a few weeks ago,as I was spending too much time on there just replying to msgs and stuff,and needed a break as I have a lot of shit to do,and couldn't afford the distraction.But I joined BL around the time I got off fb,and now I'm addicted to this bloody site :p

Meanwhile,I didn't tell anyone that I was deactivating,I just did it,and I had a lot of ppl asking my boyfriend,or asking other ppl that know me if I was alright (most ppl know I suffer depression and anxiety),and have since emailed me to check up on me,which I was really touched by <3

So yeah,I'll no doubt reactivate soon,but after the first couple of days,I haven't missed it at all.

I don't have a facebook account.

You can reach me at home, on the phone, text me, or, if you live far away, you can easily e-mail me or send me an IM. Why is it necessary to reach me in more ways than that?