• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

F-Phenibut and α2δ subunit VDCC : Rationale for meaningful activity at this site?

LuxEtVeritas

Bluelighter
F-Phenibut and α2δ subunit VDCC : Rationale for meaningful activity at this site?

Looking for research supportive that F-Phenibut/FluoroPhenibut, a derivative wherein the Chloro group of Baclofen is subbed for a Fluoro, has a pharmacological action that produces a balanced activity at α2δ subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels and GABA-B. As well, it is claimed to have the propensity to develop less tolerance to GABA-B more similarly to Baclofen, which this would seem to be more of a logical deductive extrapolation perhaps.

Baclofen is known to have only very modest affinity α2δ subunit, certainly compared to its activation of GABA-B. Phenibut itself is now postulated via supportive research to produce a fairly balanced activity, though it is solely the R-isomer that entails this action (references below). I see no rationale why the Fluoro substitution would create such a shift in affinities at the two receptors, other than perhaps it is somewhat closer given that it appears to have less affinity/efficacy at GABA-B than baclofen itself, perhaps 10-20% of such seems a viable estimation. However, there is no correlative rationale for why the substitution would NOT diminish the activity seen with Phenibut at α2δ subunit that it would at this level of diminished GABA-B activation skew the receptor activity profiles to be 'balanced'.

Thus, more balanced perhaps, but perhaps not significantly so to be significantly therapeutically relevant, given that as I am aware baclofen is very weak at α2δ subunit. This is bearing that Baclofen is in the range of 100-fold more potent by weight as an agonist of the GABA-B receptor in comparison to Phenibut, and in accordance, is used at far lower relative dosages. As such, the actions of Baclofen on α2δ subunit-containing VDCCs are likely not clinically-relevant; thusly, by extrapolations to what is given with F-Phenibut, such is neither likely clinically-relevant at this subunit.

Zvejniece, Liga; Vavers, Edijs; Svalbe, Baiba; Veinberg, Grigory; Rizhanova, Kristina; Liepins, Vilnis; Kalvinsh, Ivars; Dambrova, Maija (2015). "R-phenibut binds to the α2–δ subunit of voltage-dependent calcium channels and exerts gabapentin-like anti-nociceptive effects". Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 137: 23–29. doi:10.1016/j.pbb.2015.07.014. ISSN 0091-3057. PMID 26234470.

Vavers, Edijs; Zvejniece, Liga; Svalbe, Baiba; Volska, Kristine; Makarova, Elina; Liepinsh, Edgars; Rizhanova, Kristina; Liepins, Vilnis; Dambrova, Maija (2015). "The neuroprotective effects of R-phenibut after focal cerebral ischemia". Pharmacological Research. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2015.11.013. ISSN 1043-6618.

On a related note, if anyway cares to give an informed rationale as to what dialkylation (and like conjugations) would create within such additions to the amine and hydroxyl of all these compounds please fire away.

Lastly, if anyone has reference to the intrinsic activity of common agents at both sites I'd be highly appreciative.

TIA

Last edited:
It seems hard to say until one understands better whether the impact of the para substituent on pharmacology is influenced more by steric issues or electronegativity for example. F is quite small but very electronegative.

Best thing I could personally say is that it seems more plausible that the para-chloro of baclofen and also same for fluoro analogue are too polar to make them much like the gabapentinoids, virtually all each quite non-polar in that area, than that it's simply because of a steric hindrance issue with the chloro that does not hold true for fluoro.

Wild guess, but first thing that comes to mind is, fluorine is an hydrogen bond acceptor and has a very small atomic radious. In pharmacology it usually replaces hydrogen as a way to delay metabolism, but it can interact with hydrogen donor aminoacids (tyrosine, glutamic/aspartic acid, lysine, threosine, etc) so it may use alternative sites, same way opioids do when you add a phenethyl group in the nitrogen. As for alkylation on the N or O, not much, the pharmacore would remain the same, but since it's a polar site, I think it would diminish activity. However, you could replace it altogether with a phosphoric or sulfonic acid residue. Also, think of GHB, it has an hydroxil group at the end, maybe the fluorine is able to partially suplant that oxygen when binding to GABA B.

^ Thanks for that link - hard to search for the compound with no standardized name (or CAS#)

As this compound, para-fluorophenibut, is pharmacologically a good deal more similar than Baclofen, by all counts I would say, perhaps a best 'trivial' name would be Baflofen ;) - either that or we're left with Paflobut perhaps 8:)\=D

Seriously, though, it is a much more accurate name than using Phenibut as the 'parent/root', if one is to respect the relationship pharmacologically.

i have seen this F version of phenibut being sold around the web, i wonder if anyone tried it and can compare to the regular phenibut. i am interested but if its like plain phenibut, no thanks

There was a post on longecity forums that showed VERY negligible VGCC activity from F-phenibut, even less than Baclofen!

Looking for research supportive that F-Phenibut/FluoroPhenibut, a derivative wherein the Chloro group of Baclofen is subbed for a Fluoro, has a pharmacological action that produces a balanced activity at α2δ subunit-containing voltage-gated calcium channels and GABA-B. As well, it is claimed to have the propensity to develop less tolerance to GABA-B more similarly to Baclofen, which this would seem to be more of a logical deductive extrapolation perhaps.

Baclofen is known to have only very modest affinity α2δ subunit, certainly compared to its activation of GABA-B. Phenibut itself is now postulated via supportive research to produce a fairly balanced activity, though it is solely the R-isomer that entails this action (references below). I see no rationale why the Fluoro substitution would create such a shift in affinities at the two receptors, other than perhaps it is somewhat closer given that it appears to have less affinity/efficacy at GABA-B than baclofen itself, perhaps 10-20% of such seems a viable estimation. However, there is no correlative rationale for why the substitution would NOT diminish the activity seen with Phenibut at α2δ subunit that it would at this level of diminished GABA-B activation skew the receptor activity profiles to be 'balanced'.

Thus, more balanced perhaps, but perhaps not significantly so to be significantly therapeutically relevant, given that as I am aware baclofen is very weak at α2δ subunit. This is bearing that Baclofen is in the range of 100-fold more potent by weight as an agonist of the GABA-B receptor in comparison to Phenibut, and in accordance, is used at far lower relative dosages. As such, the actions of Baclofen on α2δ subunit-containing VDCCs are likely not clinically-relevant; thusly, by extrapolations to what is given with F-Phenibut, such is neither likely clinically-relevant at this subunit.

Zvejniece, Liga; Vavers, Edijs; Svalbe, Baiba; Veinberg, Grigory; Rizhanova, Kristina; Liepins, Vilnis; Kalvinsh, Ivars; Dambrova, Maija (2015). "R-phenibut binds to the α2–δ subunit of voltage-dependent calcium channels and exerts gabapentin-like anti-nociceptive effects". Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 137: 23–29. doi:10.1016/j.pbb.2015.07.014. ISSN 0091-3057. PMID 26234470.

Vavers, Edijs; Zvejniece, Liga; Svalbe, Baiba; Volska, Kristine; Makarova, Elina; Liepinsh, Edgars; Rizhanova, Kristina; Liepins, Vilnis; Dambrova, Maija (2015). "The neuroprotective effects of R-phenibut after focal cerebral ischemia". Pharmacological Research. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2015.11.013. ISSN 1043-6618.

On a related note, if anyway cares to give an informed rationale as to what dialkylation (and like conjugations) would create within such additions to the amine and hydroxyl of all these compounds please fire away.

Lastly, if anyone has reference to the intrinsic activity of common agents at both sites I'd be highly appreciative.

TIA

Found it! http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...gy-and-pharmicokinetics-what-you-should-know/

"A2o-Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca+ Channel Affinity :
Phenibut ( Ki: 18.03 nm )
Baclofen (Ki: 1496.28 nm)
Fluorophenibut (Ki: 2351.9 nm)

In this case the higher the number the lesser the affinity!

Last edited:
Found it! http://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...gy-and-pharmicokinetics-what-you-should-know/

"A2o-Subunit-Containing Voltage-Gated Ca+ Channel Affinity :
Phenibut ( Ki: 18.03 nm )
Baclofen (Ki: 1496.28 nm)
Fluorophenibut (Ki: 2351.9 nm)

In this case the higher the number the lesser the affinity!

I would be wary of any data that originates from the source you cited. John Gona's data is not peer reviewed and is inconsistent with literature values. For example, according to this paper the Ki values of baclofen and phenibut for GABA-B receptors are 6 μM and 177 μM, respectively.