• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Extremely strong marijuana cravings - trying to stay sober help

Above&Beyond

Greenlighter
I am ex marijuana addict from California who had to quit because 1) I have nobody to get it from since graduating high school and I have no friends 2) I am not allowed to smoke while living with my parents and I respect that 3) I am 18. 4) I am starting college and made the choice to get sober. I watch YouTube videos of people blazing because it satisfies some of my urges, but I don't know how much I can take anymore it is driving me fucking crazy. If I get weed I will violently smoke it so I can get as high as possible. But I can't how can I deal with these INTENSE drug cravings I crave bud all day everyday . do I need psychiatric medication or rehab? How do I deal with this shit I don't know how much I can take

Perhaps you need something else to focus on. Instead of watching videos of people smoking weed, which by the way, probably reinforces your cravings, try learning about something new, exercise or anything that will fill the time until the cravings go away. I've given up cannabis for 15 months after smoking daily for about 7 years, the cravings were definitely quite noticeable to begin with, but I focussed on reading and other things, by the end of the first week I wasn't thinking about weed whatsoever.

^^ Yeah what Libertin said.

It took me to move away from all my friends and contacts to give up daily weed use, and I am so glad I did. I still use weed now days, but not daily and I dont stress at all if I dont have any. I often go months and months without it. I know it will always be around again one day and it will hit me hard because of no tolerance. It's great to have large breaks of any and all drugs I believe.

I found sleeping really hard for a few months when I first moved away and gave it up because of not knowing anyone to score off.

Ugh, I feel your pain A&B! It's been about 2 months clean time for me... and I am really wanting to smoke this old piece of hashish that I have layin around... but what's keeping me from doing so is the fact that the longest I remember staying actually clean is 2 months! I want to beat that record, I'll be feeling like a total loser if I snap now and smoke.

And what ^ said, it will ALWAYS be around. The fact of the matter is, why smoke it? What's it gonna cause? A little pleasure for a few hours? What are you gonna do when high, something really productive or just be a couch potato?

I am having a very difficult time thinking about this too man, I don't wanna smoke yet, but I do, and honestly, I am a little bit afraid of not being able to control my urges if I snap now. I do NOT wanna go back to daily smoking, or even few times a week. I want to control it like I once used to long ago, only on weekends at best. I want to meditate or work on something when I smoke it, not just lay around watch TV. It's like I don't trust myself. You're honestly doing well man, watching the videos though hahah, that's not helping I'll tell you right now :p

Let's hang in there?

above&beyond i'm not sober but I don't smoke ridiculous amounts all day anymore, which for me is a marked improvement. I know I still have a long way to go and didn't come here to preach but I hope I have a little insight that can help.

A big thing for me is having my day planned out, having goals set, and staying focused for as long as I can on reaching those goals. Sometimes my goal is as simple as dont smoke until I'm off work and being as productive as possible. As soon as I don't have anything to do I will smoke pretty much guaranteed. For me, I have to remind myself on a daily basis as to why it is I want to quit/cut back on smoking and to try and turn my focus away from cannabis/staying sober towards whatever task is at hand/finding new ways to reach my goals. Focusing on health and fitness is a really big part of the change for me as well.

just hang in there no matter what. not everyone stumbles but if you do, you must get up.

Thank you everyone. I have stopped watching videos and for the most part I have stopped most of my cravings. Funny thing is, I was walking the dog and out of nowhere the smell of burning dank hit me. It was coming from a house I used to smoke at and I was like fuck that. I don't need that in my life anymore. Re-reading my original post, I can see a fiend craving a high. But now I feel sober and I actually feel good enough to say no.

Good for you A&B. I had to quit smoking weed for college, and I'm realizing now that my kratom use is interfering with my memory and must quit that too. Have you been experiencing burn out, or any sort of "dumb" feelings after quitting? I noticed I've had that problem as well.

Thank you everyone. I have stopped watching videos and for the most part I have stopped most of my cravings. Funny thing is, I was walking the dog and out of nowhere the smell of burning dank hit me. It was coming from a house I used to smoke at and I was like fuck that. I don't need that in my life anymore. Re-reading my original post, I can see a fiend craving a high. But now I feel sober and I actually feel good enough to say no.

Great job dude, it's nice to hear this.
I hate that, sometimes I don't realize it til hours later if not the next day... Still fighting this shit in my head. But the thought of keeping my clean streak for longer than I ever have, is keeping me strong too. And also the reminder that I'm not a made man yet, too much to fuckin accomplish right now instead of having fun smoking which can come at anytime later :!

OP, start lifting weights this instant. Do intense weightlifting, such as Olympic weightlifting or powerlifting, where being high really isn't an option during training. Light, easy bodybuilding routines and jogging won't cut it, because those can just as easily be done while blazed out on herb.

In general, get yourself invested in a hobby that makes progress, but that absolutely precludes being high during (like weightlifting, where you make "Personal Bests" to quantify your progress, like "leveling up" in a video game except it's for real). 18 is a ripe age to begin such training, and you'll be glad you did when you're 25 and the rest of your friends are already starting to look like shit and wondering why you keep looking, feeling, and doing better and better as you age.

Establish this for 5 years and you will never go back. Then, you might even be able to return to cannabis and make it a more or less healthy part of your life. Having the training will always prevent you from getting high, because you know you need to train that day and you can't do it while stoned.

Exercise.

And stop watching videos of people getting stoned.
That's like a heroin addict watching someone use heroin, of course it's going to make you want to use.

Should become much easier after a month of exercise and putting your attention and focus else where.

I'll be honest, the only times I feel like smoking, after I've stopped smoking, is when I'm bored.
When I want to feel good, and have something to do.