• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Extreme weight loss from prescription side effects. Advice please?

Ray86

Greenlighter
I'm not sure if bl is the right site for this but so far, I've received better feedback and advice from the beautiful people here than anywhere else so here goes.
I am a 30yr old F. I have multiple sclerosis and I suffer loads of pain from it. I also have depression, anxiety and daily panic attacks. I have been prescribed countless medications for all these things and about 2-3 years ago I started getting side effects to almost every prescription my doctor's have tried with me. Most of these perceptions have caused severe nausea. Due to the side effects my doctor will change my prescription and the cycle continues. Because of the repeated side effect of nausea, I've spent a lot of the past few years with fluctuating eating habits. Long before any of my problems started I was pretty healthy. I've always had a great metabolism which I used to love because I could eat more than anyone I knew, M or F, and never gain a pound. I was confident about my physical appearance. My golden number for weight was a solid 125lbs. I have lost so much weight since then that I've grown to hate looking in the mirror. Everytime I have a doctor's appointment, they check my weight and it's probably one of the most dreaded moments in my life. I'm not sure what I'm down to now because I try not to look at the number on the scale when they weigh me but I know it's probably down to 100 if not even lower now. I don't know if the 25lb difference sounds like a lot to you guys but it's very visibly noticable. It is so hard for me to put weight on and it's causing a dramatic increase in my depression and anxiety and I'm experiencing a level of insecurity like I never thought I would.
I could use any advice/ideas of food types or diet that can help me put on weight fast so that I can bounce back from these medication induced nausea and loss of appetite. I've never been too fond of sweets so binging out on cupcakes wouldn't be a feasible plan for me. Other than that I'm not picky with food at all. I hope this post is ok for bl. I figured it was caused by drugs so it's kinda relevant. Thanks again guys:)

I'm sorry to hear that. I've known a couple of people that for various medical reasons couldn't put weight on.

Something that may surprise you is that some of the highest calorie foods out there are not sweets. Things like nuts and dried fruits. Peanut butter. Even fatty, oily fish. Good luck! Have you considered consulting a nutritionist?

I wouldn't have guessed that dried fruits would be high in calories. Would salmon be considered a fatty oily fish?
I didn't think about consulting a nutritionist but I'll definitely find out where I can make an appointment with one. I'm going to call my clinic today to set an appointment with my PC but she's not always in the clinic since she's still a resident and taking exams and such so I'm looking for advice while I wait to see someone.
I had read that people with MS typically gain weight from lack of movement and overeating due to depression and boredom but I guess I'm not one of those.
Hopefully I can get this sorted out soon.
Thank you for the reply:)

Make milkshakes mixing ice cream with a drink like ensure or boost.

Mmp85, I really can't believe I hadn't thought of that. That's a really good idea. Especially in the summer. I don't know if one exists, but I'm going to Google to see if there are any fatty fruits I can add to that. Thanks! :)
Oh, and just an update, since I posted this question, my appetite has come up a little and I was able to eat more today than I have been in a while. It's still only about a cup of food at a time but it's more often and a pretty good increase from what my appetite has been for a while now. Power of the mind maybe?

I don't really have any suggestions that others haven't already given for food, but if you're still having the nausea side effect, have you and your doctor tried an anti-nausea meed such as zofran?

Red moon, I have a prescription for zofran. It wasn't doing anything for the nausea from the last prescription I tried but I stopped taking that one anyways. I'm not having nausea anymore (except in the mornings every once in a while). I do have an appointment tomorrow during which I'm sure I'll be put on something else so I'm trying to prepare for any possibilities. It's also hard to get my appetite back everytime this happens which is what I'm dealing with right now. I'm sure my stomach shrinks everytime this happens because I can only eat a baby size portion before feeling really full.

Update: I started the milkshake thing as you suggested mmp85. I asked my boyfriend to look for the brand of vanilla ice cream with the most fat in it and put some of that with whole milk, Carnation instant breakfast and half an avocado into a blender. I swear I could feel and taste the fat in the milkshake which was really exciting lol. It actually came out really good and not so sweet that I couldn't tolerate it. After drinking that, my appetite for the day was boosted and I was able to eat an actual full meal for dinner. I'm really excited to fill them jeans again. Thanks guys ?

I'm glad the milkshake worked for you. I put a small container of yogurt in mine and fruit. I have the opposite problem to you. My meds cause weight gain especially over the long haul. It makes sense why I've gained so much weight (plus junk food - my "other" addiction lol). I wish you luck as I've known people who struggled to gain weight and I know they struggled gaing weight as I did trying to lose weight. And I'm not making Christmas cookies any more! Lol

My mother had MS for years before it finally took her. I can tell you she struggled with a lack of appetite for years. Although she never took this script as she should have, she did have a script for a Marijuana concentrate in pill form (for some reason this thing won't let me type out the drug name. It starts with marin**). I kept asking her to take it to see if it would help and every time I'd visit, the bottle would still be sitting there. Just a thought.

My mother had MS for years before it finally took her. I can tell you she struggled with a lack of appetite for years. Although she never took this script as she should have, she did have a script for a Marijuana concentrate in pill form (for some reason this thing won't let me type out the drug name. It starts with marin**). I kept asking her to take it to see if it would help and every time I'd visit, the bottle would still be sitting there. Just a thought.

Very good thought. Especially if it is legal where you live and/or you have Cannibis stores. Get a strain that is known to really give the munchies!

Beachbum, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she went peacefully.
Unfortunately, it's not legal in my state and since I'm working with a pain clinic, I get random drug tests:/ but even if I didn't have that blocking me, I get paranoid as all hell on weed so it probably wouldn't be very helpful for me. I used to love it and I would eat until I couldn't move. I wish I could still handle it.
Kgeisel, I've helped a couple friends with diet plans. It was more about what foods to add to your diet than what foods to avoid. It's been years so I don't remember all of what I found on it but if you just Google"foods that boost your metabolism" you'll find a good list of things to help with weight loss. I do remember olive oil based salad dressings were supposed to be really good for that and if you can stand the taste, apple cider vinegar drinks are good for that too.

I'm sorry honey! Since you enjoyed the milkshakes you should try adding some flavorless protein powder. I've used whey isolate mostly with a mashed up banana, cocoa powder, nuts, milk, and really whatever else I've had available mixed together and put in the freezer for an hour or so.