• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Extreme low sodium and potassium when using meth

partingof

Bluelighter
For many years I was a heavy user, every day, all day. Now I've cut back to once a week, mostly because I have to job now.
Normally I suffer from low potassium, but when I use, my sodium use to get so low I'd end up in hospital nealy dead.
Havn't been to the hospital for over a year now, because I drink a shit load of soy sauce after I use. Seems to work.

Just wondering if anyone else has has similar experiences?

Should add that I also have seriously bad bulimia, but even when I'm puking all day I've never ended up in that state, and I've been doing this for a very long time.

Anyhow, let you know. T
Ty

For many years I was a heavy user, every day, all day. Now I've cut back to once a week, mostly because I have to job now.
Normally I suffer from low potassium, but when I use, my sodium use to get so low I'd end up in hospital nealy dead.
Havn't been to the hospital for over a year now, because I drink a shit load of soy sauce after I use. Seems to work.

Should add that I also have seriously bad bulimia, but even when I'm puking all day I've never ended up in that state, and I've been doing this for a very long time.

Anyhow, let you know. T
Ty

What makes you think your blood sodium and potassium levels are low? Have you had previous tests reflecting this? Just curious not trying to give you the third degree.

Low sodium levels can be caused by dehydration and also vomiting but also through drinking excessive water - all things that can happen on meth (and bulimia).

Meth depletes a range of things. However the biggies are thought to be magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins.

What makes you think your blood sodium and potassium levels are low? Have you had previous tests reflecting this? Just curious not trying to give you the third degree.
Oh yeah, I moniter them ever 2 weeks. My levels are chronically low even when I'm not using. Things were really bad 2 years ago. I ended up almost dead (according to the medical staff).

Low sodium levels can be caused by dehydration and also vomiting but also through drinking excessive water - all things that can happen on meth (and bulimia).

Meth depletes a range of things. However the biggies are thought to be magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins.
Yeah, I did know that, not doing myself any favors. lol. But yeah I've been trying the magnesium too

Anyhow, let you know. T
Ty
As a fellow ED sufferer, I know how serious it is to be hospitalised due to electrolyte issues.

Seriously though, stop with the soy sauce! That’s not wise.

Here’s some ED harm reduction. You need to ensure you’ve some electrolytes to replace those you’ve just purged. Coconut water is always something I keep in my house as well as Dioralyte. I also have those sos sachets I use whilst running.

There are loads of electrolyte replenishing powders now. Get something. Ensure you take it after you’ve purged (every time) and ensure you hydrate. Don’t overhydrate though as that’s just gonna flush out all those electrolyes you’ve taken. No more than 2.5/3L a day.

You do need some food, obviously, breaking the binge/purge cycle is hard, I get it. Do try to get something though, protein shakes and meal replacement shakes are good and not mad high calories.

As a fellow ED sufferer, I know how serious it is to be hospitalised due to electrolyte issues.

Seriously though, stop with the soy sauce! That’s not wise.

Here’s some ED harm reduction. You need to ensure you’ve some electrolytes to replace those you’ve just purged. Coconut water is always something I keep in my house as well as Dioralyte. I also have those sos sachets I use whilst running.

There are loads of electrolyte replenishing powders now. Get something. Ensure you take it after you’ve purged (every time) and ensure you hydrate. Don’t overhydrate though as that’s just gonna flush out all those electrolyes you’ve taken. No more than 2.5/3L a day.

You do need some food, obviously, breaking the binge/purge cycle is hard, I get it. Do try to get something though, protein shakes and meal replacement shakes are good and not mad high calories.
Thanks for replying, I appreciate it fromn someone who knows. I do take those electrolyte drinks/powders, but sometimes I don't feel like it's enough, and they cost more than soy sauce. I do take potassium suppliments tho, so usually it's just the low sodium that I have to worry about.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it fromn someone who knows. I do take those electrolyte drinks/powders, but sometimes I don't feel like it's enough, and they cost more than soy sauce. I do take potassium suppliments tho, so usually it's just the low sodium that I have to worry about.
Soy sauce is just soo... ughhh... like I don’t even know how you manage it! Also, it’s gonna swing you badly the other way. It’s just not a good way to manage it. Ya know?

The electrolyte powders can be expensive from high street stores etc but check out online what you can get. You’ll find large tubs much cheaper with a better potassium/sodium ratio.

Have you a dietician or anything? Probably not? They can usually prescribe something for free (UK) I’m sure in the US too they can but obviously you’d be paying.

Whole glasses. It must work tho, havn't ended up in hospital since I started.

wow - that's really salty - that can't be good

you usually have low sodium from your kidneys not really working right - drinking too much water or vomiting too

Soy sauce is just soo... ughhh... like I don’t even know how you manage it! Also, it’s gonna swing you badly the other way. It’s just not a good way to manage it. Ya know?

The electrolyte powders can be expensive from high street stores etc but check out online what you can get. You’ll find large tubs much cheaper with a better potassium/sodium ratio.

Have you a dietician or anything? Probably not? They can usually prescribe something for free (UK) I’m sure in the US too they can but obviously you’d be paying.
Yeah, it is gross, but you kind of get use to it. I just tried to find the saltiest thing in my house, and that was it. I do know that too much is really bad for you to, I guess I don't really worry about that because when I need to drink it, I know my levels are deadly low.

I did not know you could buy that online, for cheaper and in much bigger amounts. Thats awsome, I will check it out, thanks!

And no, I do not, wouldn't make a difference. I'm very honest with my psychiatrist, thats kind of what he deals with. He knows where its at. We just focus on harm reduction.

wow - that's really salty - that can't be good

you usually have low sodium from your kidneys not really working right - drinking too much water or vomiting too
Yeah, I throw up like hell, but somehow my sodium dosn't get really low from that. It's only when I pick up, and totally out of it for a few days.
Somehow my bodies adapted to my eating shit, guess it got use to it or something. lol

Yeah, I throw up like hell, but somehow my sodium dosn't get really low from that. It's only when I pick up, and totally out of it for a few days.
Somehow my bodies adapted to my eating shit, guess it got use to it or something. lol
But why soy sauce? Why not just sawlty water? maybe some anchovies? Olives are sawlty.. I love olives...have a salami sammach maybe a couple potato chips

No?

Oxidative stress in cells due to meth use makes them loose water that contains soluble minerals. Drinking water on meth isn't enough, you also need fats and minerals on a healthy diet. A Fried egg with lots of salt does wonders

But why soy sauce? Why not just sawlty water? maybe some anchovies? Olives are sawlty.. I love olives...have a salami sammach maybe a couple potato chips

No?
Yeah, olives are tasty. I use to drink salt water, then I asked someone on a health hot-line, and they said that might make me more dehydrated. She wasn't sure. So idk.
Oxidative stress in cells due to meth use makes them loose water that contains soluble minerals. Drinking water on meth isn't enough, you also need fats and minerals on a healthy diet. A Fried egg with lots of salt does wonders
Very interesting, I didn't know that. But I guess it does make sense. Ty