Extreme dose pregabalin cold turkey withdrawal hell

Napdmd

Bluelighter
I already been through an extreme high dose benzo withdrawal. Cold turkeyed from 20 mg of Xanax, and it was psychotic terror anxiety, delirious hell on earth. But I would dare to say that high dose pregabalin withdrawal is almost as bad. Here is my story I posted on Lyrica survivors facebook page (a support group for people withdrawing from Lyrica / pregabalin)

"Hi guys. I come here to tell you my pregabalin abuse story.

I was heavily addicted to pregabalin for around 7 months. I started using the Pfizer capsules. I started with a dose of 600mg a day. I immediately fell in love with the calm buzz and deep sleep it gave me. I suffer from anxiety and insomnia so this drug was helping me greatly.

Soon I needed more and more because I have a pretty big body and build up tolerance to any drug very quickly. Buying the capsules became a bit expansive, so I ordered a 1 kilo bag from a Chinese laboratory that just sent it at my doorstep in The Netherlands. My dosages soon reached 3000mg per day. On the last days of my use i was taking up to 10 grams. I know it sounds insane. I ordered another 1 kilo bag from China because I almost finished the whole 1 kilo bag after a couple of months of use. But the 1kg bag was seized by customs so I ran out of pregabalin. I did not have any money to buy the capsules, so I was forced to quit cold turkey last year. I thought I would get away with it. But I was wrong..... really wrong.

For a week without pregabalin I felt kind of strange, but nothing too serious. The only real negative so far was the fact I was not able to sleep at all for that whole week. At one day things started to get dark. I got an extreme feeling of impending doom and a massive panic attack. My heart was pounding so fast, I thought I was about to die. Derealization and massive anxiety kicked in and I was unable to move or talk to people. I started getting extremely scared and confused and I wanted to kill myself by jumping out of the window. Luckily my dad was watching over me and stopped me, or else I would have been dead right now.

My dad called 911 and they took me to the hospital where they gave me 2,5 lorazepam to calm me a bit down. I was feeling more calm but became delirious and started feeling an evil doomed depressed feeling that left me feeling severely suicidal again. They took to me a detox center where they gave me 7,5 mg lorazepam and a 2mg dose Haldol for psychosis. I was somewhat stable but was SEVERELY depressed. I never been so depressed in my whole life. I could barely move. I was also not able to sleep at all. Even with the high dose of lorazepam. And even if I slept, I had the worst dark hellish nightmares you could ever imaging. Every time I woke up in a confused state thinking I had a demonic power in me. Anyways after 2 weeks detox they tapered me of the lorazepam and Haldol and sent me home. I still felt massive derealization, had massive agoraphobia, social anxiety, psychomotor retardation, dark negative thoughts, severe fatigue, brain fog, zero appetite, racing thoughts, rumination, heart palpitations, severe insomnia etc.

But the worst was yet to come. Psychosis came back full force. I had the most intense delusions I was the like the evil Jesus and son of Satan. I thought the whole world was about to sacrifice me for the sins of the world. I saw 666 in everything and heard the devil talking to me, he was telling me I would be going to go to hell and all of my loved ones too. We would be sent to the deepest, darkest and most painful part of hell specially reserved for us. The rest of the world would be forgiven and sent to heaven and even Satan himself would be forgiven by God as long I was sacrificed to the world. I also heard a voice telling me I should torture and murder my father in order to come in a place in hell with a little less suffering. The voice told me that if I would murder my father, my suffering would be reduced in hell. I was lucky I did not kill my dad. I heard the devil talking to me how powerful he was. Very scary auditory hallucinations. My dad called the crisis service and they sent be to the psych ward and stayed there for 6 weeks. They put me on 20 mg olanzapine, 7,5 mg lorazepam and 100 mg nortryptyline .

The psych ward did not really help me mentally because I was surrounded by insane people that also suffered psychosis. I have seen the weirdest kind of people in the psych ward, I didn't even know people like that exist in real life. It was like I was the main character in a horror movie.

Anyways it took about 3 months for pregabalin withdrawal to slowly get better. The psychosis was gone after 3 months of withdrawal, the depression got better after 6 months and now 1 year later say I can say I am completely healed from a severe 10 grams a day pregabalin cold turkey withdrawal. All the symptoms are gone. I am also off every medication they gave me. I successfully tapered off 7,5 mg lorazepam, 30 mg olanzapine and 100 mg nortryptyline without any problems.

If a stupid pill popping junky can heal from this massive abuse, SO CAN ALL YOU GUYS! For some it just takes a little longer. I feel sorry for the people who only took low doses prescribed by a doctor and still suffer till this day. Just don’t give up. The brain can and will heal from this nasty drug"

I want to warn you! Try not to get addicted to this drug if you're a pill poppin junky like me. It will fuck you up. It was a traumatizing experience.

Glad to hear you made it through all of that to share with the rest of us. That sounds pretty horrific, sounds almost worse than benzo withdrawal. That lingering psychosis had to of been terrible to deal with. Did you have any visual hallucinations? When I went cold turkey of high doses of alprazolam, lorazepam, and a bunch of opioids, I was seeing people walk through walls and having dream like hallucinations that seemed completely real to me. I couldn't tell that they weren't real until the psychosis started to fade.

Glad to hear you made it through all of that to share with the rest of us. That sounds pretty horrific, sounds almost worse than benzo withdrawal. That lingering psychosis had to of been terrible to deal with. Did you have any visual hallucinations? When I went cold turkey of high doses of alprazolam, lorazepam, and a bunch of opioids, I was seeing people walk through walls and having dream like hallucinations that seemed completely real to me. I couldn't tell that they weren't real until the psychosis started to fade.

I have not seen that kind of weird stuff. But mostly audiatory hallucinations like the devil talking to me and severe delusions and paranoia. I did see some visual hallucinations like when I watched TV, the news was calculating the number of the beast 666 and talking about the devil.

Yeah it was pretty stupid. Tolerance and addictions can fuck you up. You should know right? You were a heroin junky so you should know.

Yeah, we do not need that kind of judgment here!
We do not do that to each other here!
I am sorry you got that response @Napdmd
We usually do not have problems like that here.

Thank you for your story.
I went through something similar (not as severe) when I was being tried out on different medications for chronic pain.
I was recently put back on Gabapentin and I now realize it was quitting the Gabapentin cold Turkey that caused me to go psychotic.
I thought my boss was trying to kill me. I also heard the radio and the news talking about very strange things.
OMG! It got so embarrassing and public.
I ended Up with the paramedics coming to get me from a park where I started to freak out and hallucinate.
I was hospitalized for days.
Not a good experience. I was just using the prescribed dosage too!

I know Pregabalin is a lot stronger than Gabapentin.
I recently tapered down my Gabapentin dosage and it was then that I realized that Gabapentin has a worse withdrawal than Opiates and benzo withdrawal put together!
I cannot imagine and do not ever want to experience Pregabalin withdrawal.

I am glad you made it through that. I am so sorry that happened to you.
You are not alone in having that kind of experience.
I know how bad it freaked you out as I went through something similar.

Love and Light!
Be Well.

Yeah, we do not need that kind of judgment here!
We do not do that to each other here!
I am sorry you got that response @Napdmd
We usually do not have problems like that here.

Thank you for your story.
I went through something similar (not as severe) when I was being tried out on different medications for chronic pain.
I was recently put back on Gabapentin and I now realize it was quitting the Gabapentin cold Turkey that caused me to go psychotic.
I thought my boss was trying to kill me. I also heard the radio and the news talking about very strange things.
OMG! It got so embarrassing and public.
I ended Up with the paramedics coming to get me from a park where I started to freak out and hallucinate.
I was hospitalized for days.
Not a good experience. I was just using the prescribed dosage too!

I know Pregabalin is a lot stronger than Gabapentin.
I recently tapered down my Gabapentin dosage and it was then that I realized that Gabapentin has a worse withdrawal than Opiates and benzo withdrawal put together!
I cannot imagine and do not ever want to experience Pregabalin withdrawal.

I am glad you made it through that. I am so sorry that happened to you.
You are not alone in having that kind of experience.
I know how bad it freaked you out as I went through something similar.

Love and Light!
Be Well.

Wow thank you for the kind reply! Seems like you have a somewhat similar story indeed and it was not even your own fault. That's so messed up. I hope you're doing better now.

Yeah I was extremely confused, thought everyone was about to kill me, the news was talking about me. Totally bizarre what can happen when your brain chemicals get out of whack. My whole neightbourhood saw me walking around scared and confused through the streets. I once weighted 115kg worth of muscle and within 4 weeks was reduced to a 85kg psychotic zombie. I was litarally disabled. My dad had to take care of me. Poor man. My dad told me I smelled liked urine and sweat combined. Everybody was looking at me because I was just standing out vs the normal people. A pale skinny confused zombie in xxl clothing that almost did not fit me anymore. My hair was all fucked up. Other people looking at me made the delusions even stronger. Most embarrasing thing I ever been through in my life. I feel so much shame.

Although I'm healed from the withdrawal I still crave drugs now and then. I have days were I suffer from social anxiety and depression. Also severe insomnia. GABAergics were always my DOC. pregabalin, gabapentin, benzos, baclofen, phenibut. Even tried ludes and pentobarbital. Weird thing I never liked alcohol or GHB that much.

Also forgot to mention I suffered from severe abdominal cramps after the pregabalin left my bloodstream.

Last edited:
To make things worse for me and my poor mom, dad and sister, was that my mother was suffering from severe psychotic depression (no drug related) Illness and was in treated in a clinic at the precise the same time. This made me thought God was really trying to destroy my family. I thought about the book of Job, wer god let satan ruin his life.

So many things happened in my mind, the hospital, the clinics, the ambulance rides. Good lord I could write a book about what happened to me all at once. I'm not even religious yet I started believing in the god of the bible, Jesus and satan.

I know my friend.
I thought I was the devil for awhile.
I dressed all in Red. Cancelled work (thank god)
but they ended up finding out anyway as my dad was also having health problems and the hospital was trying to reach my parents to come and get me and called my employer. UGH!

I will forever be embarrassed about what happened.
My daughter saw some of it. She was horrified and so pissed off and mean to me.
Try dealing with a hormonal teenage girl in that state!
She has never looked at me the same since that!

I just want to forget about it.

I am SO scared of this gabapentin now!
(as well as other medications)

It seriously has been a nightmare trying to find the right medication for my condition.
I just recently tried Botox injections for severe migraine headaches and those had horrific side effects also.
I am just finishing up that huge mistake!

Don‘t worry about it my friend.
I know it traumatized you.
It did me!

It is kind of a relief to know that this happened to other people too.
At the same time, I wish you nor anyone else had to go through that!

Let’s just leave it behind and carry on.
Sending you much Love.
🌹

Wow that's also an extreme story. So sad you had to go through that. These are scary drugs. It's good to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this kind of stuff (not to mean that it's good what happened to us) But that we are not alone. I always wonder why psychotic episodes have some religious tone to it. Being the devil, demons, gods, antichrist.

If you want to quit taper very slowly and you can find support on that lyrica support group on facebook I went to. I also told my story there btw. You don't have to suffer from any symptoms if you taper slowly.

I hope you find the right medication for you condition! Stay strong and thanks again for the kind replies! Much love back to you!

Last edited:
Wow that's also an extreme story. So sad you had to go through that. These are scary drugs. It's good to know I'm not the only one that has gone through this kind of stuff (not to mean that it's good what happened to us) But that we are not alone. I always wonder why psychotic episosed have some religious tone to it. Being the devil, demons, gods, antichrist.

If you want to quit taper very slowly and you can find support on that lyrica support group on facebook I went to. I also told my story there btw. You don't have to suffer from any symptoms if you taper slowly.

I hope you find the right medication for you condition! Stay strong and thanks again for the kind replies! Much love back to you!

Thank you. ❤️
It helped me that you shared your story and were so open about it.
I have not talked about it.
I was afraid for awhile that I was somehow damaged during that.

As to “I wonder why psychotic episodes always have some religious tone to them. Being the devil, demons, gods, “
I had a Near Death Experience shortly after the above experience.
It blew my mind.

I think we get stripped down to our true nature which is God/ Devil.
We are powerful beings as human beings.
We are creators.
So when our mind goes haywire- whew! Major things can happen.
I am looking at it as a learning experience.
The Near Death Experience actually taught me a lot.
It made me understand how that happened.
I do not need a support group for it now.

I hope you are alright.
Let me know if you need to talk.
I added you to my friends list so you can P.M me.
It is okay that happened.
You can heal yourself from that.

Keep yourself balanced.
It is a balancing act with the chronic pain / injury that I am dealing with.
I have found a way to keep it balanced as best I can now.

Tell me this ain't one of them threads where someone gets paranoid about doing these types of substances (or any for that matter). Got me paranoid and I already know not to get too f-ed up for too long. Just the nightmarish type posts that could be useful to someone looking to get off of these substances or maybe some will avoid it entirely (kinda like scared straight).
Definitely a taper plan (hindsight for me... as I usually learn) can help one avoid the straight-jacket/padded room. It is in fact some spooky shit jumping off that gaba-train at full speed. The price of admission and all....
Still getting gabapentin and pregabalin but dosed phenibut at 1.5g this morning before work and have no need of anything else for now. Damn. Almost overwhelming. Kinda leads me to believe that pregabalin, gabapentin and phenibut are not in fact cross tolerant. In fact... I ingested some gabapentin after not taking it since pregabalin Rx (bout 3 weeks) and got blew away on 900mg gabapentin last night... could not keep my eyes open. Been banging away at gaba receptors for decades and still ain't burnt?
Sorry not trying to hyjack.
Thanks for posting your experience. Similar to my previous experiences with benzos. Brought back some memories of troubled times (to put it mildly).
Keep arms and legs inside the car until it comes to a complete stop... or at least slow enough to keep from bumping ones head.
:rolleyes:
Peace

yes, these types of medications can NOT just be stopped suddenly.

My doctor did not tell me that!
I had only taken gabapentin for one month and I did not notice it doing much.
I was in severe chronic pain and I could not even notice the effects from it until I got the pain managed with MS Contin.
so I just thought “well, this one didn’t work.”and threw away the bottle.

Much to my amaze, I went fucking psycho!
I had no idea what was happening!

I was pissed off at my doctor after I got out of the hospital!
He claims He did not know it would do that!
I told him that was HIS job to know and to tell me and others!!

Moral to the story here is NEVER, EVER stop taking medications suddenly.
Medications must be tapered down slowly!

My doctor did not tell me that!
Thinking this is the norm... like oxycontin not being as addictive: Compared to freakin what, for gods sake?
I think they should let one know up front that if meds are titrated up it is necessary to use the same strategy to get off. How easy is that? But maybe there is a kick-back still for prescribing certain drugs; it's a business. Maybe they abridge their info to omit some important bullet points of possible reactions and sh**.
Oh, well...: I'm about to dose a bit of kratom, eat half a bar and smoke a fatty.
I'm feeling a bit adventurous tonight and wonder what I will get into.
One

Edit:
Oh, I HEARD ON THE NEWS THAT 3 IN 4 HEROIN USERS STARTED ON OPIOD PAIN KILLERS. sorry for yelling it was an accident.
I was like, what? Heroin was around way before pharma started pressing and it just seemed to me that these statistics were askew or intentionally misleasding.
3 in 4?
maybe 1 or 2 in 4

I posted this on anothr thread but this is my Gab experience.

I previously abused Xanax for about 5 weeks and had pretty bad withdrawals from just that, but I'm a pretty hardcore opiate addict mainly. I don't mess with benzos at all and my last benzo use was 1.5 years ago when using clonazepam to try to kick opiates which ended up in disaster.
I'd previously used gabapentin to kick opiates and it went well but I relapsed. I tried to kick a long acting opiate with it and was using 3000mg a day maybe more. After 30 days I stopped the gabapentin and still felt like I was in opiate withdrawals.
So I went back on the dope. Tried another detox with gabapentin, using 3000mg a day - the detox went well for the 4 days, the gaba helped amazingly. I slept, ate, felt pretty great. However when I ran out of the gabs on day 5 - I went into Horiffic withdrawals that was like opiate withdrawal, but with these horrible flashes/shocks running up my body, I felt incredibly frightened of people, and I was Freezing cold. It was horrible. I also could not sleep (worse than opiate insomnia, opiate insomnia is due to RLS and chills whereas this was hardcore real insomnia, wide awake. When I did fall asleep I had HORIFFIC nightmares.) It went away after 3 or 4 days luckily.

I don't know how long the WD from gabapentin will last for you, hopefully it is a short duration but I've read on Reddit that some people had this WD for 2 weeks. I was so frightened reading that, if I had 2 weeks of it I'd have ended my life. I went back on the opiates to deal with the gab WD.
I did another detox and tried gabapentin again, this time the gabapentin didn't even touch my withdrawals, it did nothing at all. But when I ran out of gabs that time, I never had any gab withdrawals at all. I tried using it now for my current detox and it is not doing anything at all.
Gabapentin is such a wierd strange drug. It's not like opiates where you can correlate each dose exactly to its effects.

Once that tolerance builds for gabapentin then its on to pregabalin: Probably worse WDs if there was a sudden cessation (IDK) as the dosages cited here are high (IMO) and WDs could/should be expected.
... and tried gabapentin again, this time the gabapentin didn't even touch my withdrawals, it did nothing at all.
Tolerance builds fast and is long lasting to gabaergics; maybe your system was used to the baba-p and there really is no use to prescribe 3000mg a day. They shoulda tried something more bioavailable.
Just throwing this out there but maybe give phenibut a try if there is a next time. Its (supposedly) a long lasting gabpentinoid-ish substance. Same but different from gabapentin or pregabalin. Guessing they are all analogs of something but do not know as facts can be checked and are they reliable (teh *facts)? They all have different "properties or means-of-action that - in my experience - make the three unique.
The psych ward did not really help me mentally because I was surrounded by insane people that also suffered psychosis.
Know this first-hand.
MFs in ya head and the stress of being in a strange atmosphere will abate as one assimilates.
Wn5kGEz.jpg