View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Extreme depression on shrooms come-up

henlik

Greenlighter
Recently i tried 1.5g of Psilocybe semilanceata. The trip turned out fine but i wanted to share and possible find out why i had this challenging come-up.

Me and my buddy went into the woods with my guitar on a sunny, perfect day for the come-up. However for one hour i experienced extreme depression with mood swings. I can't tell the cause of why i felt this way, i simply started to feel horrible depression and the worst feeling of helplessness i've ever felt. We tried to change location, talk about stuff, nothing seemed to do anything for my mood. When we decided to head inside the depression passed and i've never felt more alive. I have read somewhere that these feelings of discomfort surface because the shrooms are healing the mind. Is this true?

Nausea and anxiety are not uncommon on the comeup. And of course set & setting has a large influence, usually it's better to at least start the trip in a comfortable environment (such as at home) and go outside later if you really want to, at least when you aren't very experienced with the substance.

And well, serotonin agonist do lots of things, which can include certain realizations due to the introspective nature of psychedelics that might lead to a happier life, but they don't "heal the mind" directly.

Can it be that you misinterpreted anxiety as depression? It no uncommon to become anxious on the comeup, both physically and psychologically. Physically more so (fidgeting and stuff), which then translates to mental anxiety. For instance, simply increased heartbeat makes your mind feel uneasy even when there is no deep psychological reason for it. Somatic aspect of the trip, also known a body load, is an important one imho, which can affect the trip substantially. Shrooms can be a bit rough on your body, which might secondary cause mental distress you experienced.

It's pretty common for shroom come ups to be that way. Last time I ate shrooms, I got extremely worried about my future, my career and such. As soon as the peak effects hit, I was in pure bliss. No pain no gain I guess.

Very common as others' have stated. My come ups are almost always mixed episodes. Lots of internalized thinking, pacing, mad anxiety. Lasts about an hour or two. Then I break through and all becomes so clear and beautiful. The bad thoughts fall away and I'm left awash in Serotonin goodness. Man, just talking about it gets me keyed up. Can't wait to shroom again!

Well its possible that when under a lot of pressure things look differently, OP.

Just try and go with it for awhile. None of its real in the moment, but after awhile it usually makes sense.

Yeah, i had some nausea which i often get. I didn't really directly feel anxious, i tried to reflect on why i could feel this way. My mind was dead quiet with just this terribly depressing feeling. I felt like i had completely lost all of my motivation and happiness. I think i felt true sadness.

The reason i am experimenting with psylocybin is to figure out my social anxiety and motivation issues.

When i came inside i went from feeling depressed to feeling more alive than I've ever felt. I became able to be more in touch with myself when i spoke my mind, which i usually struggle with. Speaking became more fluent and i felt comfortable with the way i expressed myself. The reason i have this problem is probably because of low self-asteem. This verbal flow was sadly gone the next day..
I guess i shouldn't give up yet, but i want to be careful with passing my dose of 1.5 g because of what happened, i've also felt the same kind of feelings on my previous "trips" although with lower dosage.