• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Extractions Methods

Before I begin is this topic kosher? If not Ill delete
Canada recently legalized cannabis and while solvent extractions are not permitted, making edibles w/o solvents is.

I know Coconut oil extractions are typically ___ hrs in length but I dont think they need to be.
Chemistry dictates more smaller washes with fresh "solvent" (coconut oil) are more effective at pulling out the thc than 1 longer pull.

Thoughts?
There are websites that go into detail about extract methods and processes, forums specifically for those subjects basically. Since it is legal, I don't believe discussing methods of extraction is illegal, as one doesn't need a brewer's license to discuss the process of brewing beer. In fact, there are many TV shows that discuss the process and facilities that you can take tours through. However, discussing much beyond the theory is where the line grays.

In terms of legality, in my opinion with no education in law, it would depend on how the actual law is written itself- as in terms of chemistry, water can be a solvent, as it has the ability to dissolve solids like sugar(the solute in this case). So, even making edibles using fat/oil(solvent) to absorb the THC(solute) is technically a form of solvent extraction.

Using cold water and agitation to cause the trichomes to fall off, then filtering out the trichs and drying the off is typically called "solventless" because in this case, the water isn't acting as a solvent.

Using supercritical CO2 is also called solventless, but in reality the liquid form of CO2 functions as a solvent and trichs the solute. Lots of high pressure and machinery involved though, so I'd guess this would be under the not without a license as it can be dangerous to operators and neighbors.

I'd guess most ban on home extractions is to prevent novice(or even experienced) BHO makes from blowing themselves/the neighborhood up, while also potentially releasing hazardous gas(suffocation/explosions).'

TLDR: I'd look closely at the wording of the laws. Does it specify what type of solvents can't be used(hydrocarbon extractions), or does it ban all extractions except for making edibles? I'd guess it's probably something along the liens of banning hydrocarbon, as it leaves tons of legal grey area if allowing for edibles(unless you are literally putting a nug in the oven then eating the whole thing)….

there's also mechanical methods like dry sifting that just uses screens and agitation after breaking down the bud, and then there are rosin presses that use a micron filter, heat, and pressure to extract the thc. These are fairly simple and would be difficult to make it nearly as dangerous and open blasting butane

Last edited:
Y
Id agree but freezer cold quick pulls of <3 min are still ok imo. Winterization could be an option too for further removal of fats/chloro but the Cannabis Act prohibits such activities as ethanol as seen as an organic solvent and thus prohibited to use for extractions, unless licensed (lol I can guess why - ppl blowing themselves up.. I mean making beer and wine is legal but ethanol distilation isnt - same boat i guess. But still... fuckers ha)

Not sure Ive had the privilege of knowing what the other exts were made with. And Im not entirely against solvents but propane-butane just doesnt sound like something i might want to consume ... super critical co2 is food safe but impractical for diy'ers as well ... wonder if itd be permissible? lol

Which brings us back to coconut oil unfortunately... butter is gross imo but apparently ghee works well too
Yes ghee should resemble coconut oil, except it has a much lower saturated fat content vs coconut oil and and I think maybe the saturated fats are better for this purpose at least that was wonderful idea ear I had many decades ago before I knew anything (or should I say before I knew nothing, aka my current mortal true knowledge base lol).

I studied a ayurveda a bit many years back I am a vata body type and ghee in particular is especially beneficial for me and is said to be the best form of fat for the body as in in bodies in general but particularly vata body types.

The ancient Indians absolutely swore by the healing and medicinal properties of ghee, with an insistence that ghee has the potential to transport the healing properties of herbs and spices deep into the tissues of the body.

I use to make my own ghee from organic butter and it was absolutely heavenly gorgeous and Incredibly good for me, in particular it stimulates the digestive system or "agni" , digestive fire.

I had to stop eating either because I can't tolerate dairy in any form, no butter and the ghee still was exacerbating my excessive mucus production.

My Mum made a batch of cannabutter with ghee a while ago and she really didn't like the taste I had a tiny little bit and it wasn't very nice. It really brought out the rancidity of the ghee. Usually our home made ghee is like sweet toffee.