• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Extracting morphine from Poppy Seed Tea?

Halalporkshop

Greenlighter
I have this long shot idea for extracting the morphine from 8 pounds of unwashed poppy seed (Up to 4 grams of morphine from what I read). I read in the rules that synthesis is frowned upon but technically this is an extraction and hopefully permissible. If I have broken any rules, I apologize in advance.

My basic recipe is the heroin manufacture recipe on Erowid, which describes in detail the extraction of morphine from opium.
http://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/heroinmfg.html

This is the basic process I had in mind. Any feedback is very welcome.

1. Wash the seeds vigorously with a solution of water and lemon juice. Remove seeds.

2. Add calcium hydroxide to convert morphine to calcium morphenate (How high should the pH be for optimal conversion to calcium morphenate?)

3. Calcium morphenate should dissolve while the other alkaloids do not for the most part. Strain with t-shirt.

4. Add Ammonium chloride until pH reaches 9, freebase morphine precipitates and settles at bottom of container. Liquid is poured off, brownish morphine base powder is saved to dry.

Any input is appreciated.

im guessing this is against the rules as is basically just synth

i also highly doubt youd get anywhere near 4g of morphine from 8lbs seeds. unless you got them straight from the pod yourself, i doubt theyre unwashed

Yeah I believe this will qualify as a synthesis-related question.

Although seeds can potentially contain a substantial quantity of alkaloids, eight pounds will not contain anywhere near 4000mg of anhydrous morphine. And even supposing they did, this process would likely yield an appreciable amount, but it definitely wouldn't net a 1:1 yield of four grams of calcium morphenate.

When I tried something similar in college with chem majors and stolen equipment we got like 1g of usable morphine from my entire crop of about 25g's of unrefined opium from about 200+ poppies. The key word here is usable. I think overall we got about 4-5g's of morphine from the 25g's of opium. We tried the one batch of freebase "morphine" that tested as an opiate but also exhibited troubling signs of possible health risks. The one batch we deemed safe, but we split it 5 ways and none of us IV so it was a lot of work for night of nodding from about .2g each. The rest we decided to keep going and turned into heroin, supposedly. It tested positive for it with the most basic of tests, but nothing else seemed right. The final color, pH, look, smell, nothing looked or sounded like what were told to expect. I know one of the people I made it with gave away all the bunk stuff we made. I never really heard what happened to it though.

Conclusion: fun but pointless. Could have been smoking bomb ass homegrown opium for a month instead of wasting my precious crop. Rhodium, in general, tends to make synths sound way, way easier than they actually are.

Thanks for the input, y'all. Would my best bet be to just make opium from the seeds? Tea kind of sketches me out because the potency can vary so much but with opium I can easily control the dose.

Last edited:
If the seeds are unwashed there will be opium residue on the outside of them that can be washed and concentrated.

I'm sure this in the megathread somewhere, but you can always evaporate a very potent (more potent=more worthwhile pseudo-opium) pod tea down to a low water content, filter it really well (more filtered=less harsh), and then thoroughly defat the solution using a non-polar solvent like naptha or toluene. If you do this extraction properly with careful attention, you'll yield a version of opium which can be vaporized/smoked or eaten. With this pseudo-opium it would be easier to titrate dose size.

Thanks for the reply. My question now is how can I be sure the good stuff is dissolved so I don't lose it when I filter?

This isn't worth it unless you're really sensitive to Thebaine. PST feels extremely euphoric because of all the alkaloids in it along with Morphine. IME, Morphine alone is a snoozefest in comparison to PST.

This is not synthesis, but basic extraction methods. It is on par with extracting DMT, which has been discussed.

Maybe soak the seeds in an acid added to a non polar solvent ( naphtha and HCl), filter, neutralize with NaCO3 and let the naphtha evaporate? I have no idea if this would work, but most other alkaloid extractions are extracted in pretty much this way.

From what I read when investigating this a while back, the only way to get a relatively pure alkaloid extract from poppy straw (I wouldn't bother with seeds unless there were like kilograms of them) was by using some stuff called "strong ion exchange resin." I never found any particularly solid info about that process so I didn't get 'round to trying it out but I believe it serves as the basis for making "polish herion" (a.k.a. "kompot".) It didn't sound like it should be a particularly difficult task, at least not for someone with some prior experience using ion exchange as a means of extraction though, that not being the case, I'd definitely like to experimenting with it to extract a few other random things like caffeine and nicotine before risking the loss of precious poppy straw.

I would honestly use a NPS to pull the freebase morphine from the last step to reduce the likelihood of ammonia or any other stuff leftover in your end product. I find it interesting there is a morphine salt that is created at a high PH. Shows me how little I know about chemistry.

I wouldn't bother unless you are a genius at science. As soon as you try to do anything with the tea it just renders it inert. This is one of those things where if you have to ask you are never going to find out.

noone1 that is a very poor perspective. The OP taught me something and blew my mind about chemistry by mentioning that morphine converts into a salt form with calcium hydroxide, which has a PH of 12 and is what I used in my DMT extract process that I did without knowing much of chemistry and learning so much with my experiences. I honestly think this extraction sounds ok and is something I would definitely be interested in trying it out. I would only change the last step and add one by using sodium carbonate in hopes that it is a strong enough freebasing agent so toxic ammonia or sodium hydroxide (lye) does not have to be used. To avoid a toxic end product I would use a NPS that separates from water that will dissolve morphine freebase that would be mixed with the morphine freebase after as much of the water is removed as possible, separated from the water once two layers form, freebase morphine saturated NPS filtered, and allowed to evaporate in a dark cool space with airflow. If the alcohol container is set up in another container with lukewarm water that is replaced with water heated elsewhere (really hot tap is fine) as a hot water bath to promote the evaporation of the alcohol that should not be much of a problem while a fan is highly recommended.

I might be wrong on this as some freebase morphine is soluble in water, but not an extreme amount. If I am not mistaken one could mix more of the NPS in the collected water to pull the freebase morphine that is trapped in the water unless if it is unable to escape the water if it can still hold the morphine. The water could be evaporated and the residue washed and filtered with a NPS as well. There should be other opiates in there to collect like codeine and what. I bet separating them is as easy as one crashes out of water at a lower PH than another. It would take research and experimenting, but I wouldn't know. Just a lot of educated guessing and hypothesizing here.