Experimental/Chillout/Ambient/Downtempo/Trip hop MEGATHREAD

two artists that seem to be stricktly ambient are Robert Rich and a fellow named Lustmord. Lustmord is really dark ambient, a trip to listen to. sounds like the things nightmares are made of.

Last edited:
^Lustmord is the pinnacle of dark ambient to me- pure drones and unearthly dungeon doors opening into factories of little DMT elves creating more DMT elves who create more DMT elves and....etc. Its hard music to listen to, but good for reading or drawing to, if that makes sense. If you like him check out his Tool remixes, and also an artist called Inade....

There is a growing field of dark/black ambient, employing the blasting techniques of black metal to create noise/soundscapes. An interesting group is Darkspace- extremely low fi, basically distorted guitars, pounding drums and distant shrieking with the intent of creating an effect as opposed to songs.....The tunes are called Dark 1.0, Dark 1.1, Dark 1,2 etc. and I believe the lead "singer" of the band claims to sing in a language even unknown to them. Riiiiiiiight :D Its intriguing at least, but almost unlisteanble for long periods- kinda like Burzum.

For what its worth, this is black ambient http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIyIrte6Y04&feature=PlayList&p=B836A9FC2D78B80D&playnext=1&index=27

yup, thats how i first heard of Lustmord, i frequnted Tools website and learned of him there. any friend of Maynard and the gang is a friend of mine.

i get what ur saying about reading and drawing to Lustmord, i think i might do that later on tonight.

^Its quite odd; I live with a heap of factories behind me, and since listening to artists like Lustmord, I have come to appreciate the metallic droning and grinding that emerges at random intervals from said factories :D Many a time do I skip back on a track to hear that cool scrapy distant metal-teeth noise only to discover it was just some joe shutting a big door down the street....

^Its quite odd; I live with a heap of factories behind me, and since listening to artists like Lustmord, I have come to appreciate the metallic droning and grinding that emerges at random intervals from said factories :D Many a time do I skip back on a track to hear that cool scrapy distant metal-teeth noise only to discover it was just some joe shutting a big door down the street....

nice. that's pretty cool

harold budd and brian eno- the pearl
harold budd and the cocteau twins- the moon and melodies
slowdive- pygmalion

i have to add pretty lights to the list of essential chillout - an artist i discovered right here in this forum :)

I have been listening to Aphex twins 85-92 and selected ambient work II for almost a decade now on and off and it never gets old.

Stuff I like thats not necessarily electronic but very ambient and chill are the groups Mogwai and Explosions In the Sky.

This is probably my favourite album ever, it's sort of on a downtempo/ambient vibe but it's very atmospheric, beautiful, ethereal music with these fucking powerful broken beats. This is a seriously good album, I'm sure people won't be disappointed.

L.S.G. - Into Deep

For those who don't know L.S.G is Oliver Lieb (one of the best Trance producers who probably ever lived).

It's pretty hard to come by these days, so so I thought, but I found the full album on Juno for 99 pence (192kbps) or 129 to have it in 320 which is a fucking bargain considering how good these sounds are.

Seriously, check it. Never heard anything else like this before or since.

The preview on Juno is consequently one of the best tracks on the album and that I have personally ever heard. I am not existing:

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF1205326-02-01-01.mp3

Download here:
http://www.junodownload.com/ppps/products/1205326-02.htm

don't have them for download, but all my music at the current time is all done with instruments at the time the song was created all by me....

i take a lot of pride in not using computers,
even though abelton is about to join the "group"/my table

and wow...i posted that comment without the link. lol

good thing there's the edit button!

www.myspace.com/psychoticclit

all of this recorded with sound recorder on my computer...
i didn't know you could record whatever through your mic jack with an audio cable....
if you didn't know you can do this, you'll have to split the signal to go both to your computer and an amp, so you can hear what is being recorded...unless youre that bad ass and dont even need to hear it.

Last edited:
Ambient/ Experimental/ Chillout/ Downtempo

I am interested in what you guys listen to in terms of ambient/ experimental stuff

Some of my favorite groups/ albums are

Bombay Dub Orchestra
Carbon Based Lifeforms
Enigma
Helios
Hibernation
Kaya Project
Kilowatts
Pitch Black
Solar Fields
Chronos
Colourform
Vibrasphere
Biosphere

Please share your suggestions :)

heard a few on that list. helios is coo. for a min i was listening to steve roach frequently specifically a track called "sleep chamber" id put it on repeat and just lay down n' zone out

I'm glad to see Carbon Based Lifeforms in your list, probably one of my favorite artists, phenomenal music.

I dont have too many ambient artists, i've only recently started moving more towards ambient/experimental music after a long hall of of darkpsy,breaks, and glitch genre's.

Only two favorites at the moment are:

Carbon Based Lifeforms
Vibrasphere

And a few tracks by Younger Brother (Psychic Gibbon, Happy Pills, Crumblenaut) Although, after checking out some of the artists you posted, im sure i'll be adding a few more to that list. :)

Im going to check out Monolake now, I think I have heard someone else bring them up before

The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
Mount Fuji Doom Jazz Corporation (Both Bong Ra Dark ambient Jazz Side Projects)

Monolake, as mentioned above, is one of the greatest producers alive.

Richard Devine
AZ-Rotator
Hecq

those 3 are beat driven IDM/Breacore but I definately consider their work to be highly "ambient"

Lustmord
Robert Rich
Steve Roach
Pete Namlook and Richie Hawtin's work together is classic acid ambient

Elve / Ishq / Ishvara / Indigo Egg vs Alien Mutation etc etc, all incredible soundscapes by Matt Hillier, somewhat "newagey" but totally tuned in to incredible crisp beautiful production

I could go on and on...

Ishq is good

I am going to be tripping on some 2c-i later this evening and I am looking forward to listening to all these new artists I have downloaded over the past week

Keep the suggestions coming...

Sora
Ryan Francesconi
Lullatone
Miho Folio
Mitchell Akiyama
The "Root of Sine" compilations (a collection of artists making music purely from a sine wave)
The soundtrack from the film "Sunshine" is ace :) Underworld in collab with John Murphy.

That's all I can think of for now ;)

Nice first list there, all things I would have recommended to you. Also check out:

Kettel
Múm
Secede
Clark

These are more on the IDM side of things (except Múm), but with definite ambiance. Think you'd enjoy them.