• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals Experiencing a parallel universe on Salvia, fact or fiction?

ErgotFiend

Bluelighter
Ari Shaffir describes living a lifetime in world of mermaids obliviously only to swim to the surface of the water to discover a shocking plot-twist. He was on Salvia and was not a mermaid after all.

I have heard another comic describe living an entire life and picking up ukulele as a hobby only to discover after months that he's just on salvia.

A trip report on Erowid or a rare salvinorin derivative describes going back in time to the 1960's and eating in a restaurant.

However, upon finally getting into this stuff myself, and having a very high dose about a year in, I find this incredibly hard to believe still. The vast majority of trip reports I've read seem to match my experiences closely. At high doses you can have ego-death sure, but living an alternate life in a coherent, realistic alternate (mundane or fantastical) universe for months, obliviously sounds far fetched. People seem to pretty consistently go to a wacky, cartoonish, sally space. It get's all consuming, but very random. Sorry if I'm just not as experienced as I think.

Is living an alternate life (like how tik-tok kids describe shifting) just by smoking a ton of salvia possible, or is this just an urban legend?

I’ve done in while dreaming once, lived 40 years. It felt so real that when I woke up I missed my friends in that life, and I also wasn’t me in the dream at all… was someone else’s life entirely. Also gone to other dimensions and planets. Not drug induced, I don’t know why or how this happened. Living an alternate life or creating the illusion or feeling you have is possible, I think at this point shifting is essentially reaching into the territory past maladaptive daydreaming and into dissociating. So, I guess at this point you’d want to look into unlocking your capacity for dissociating, whether that be through dissociative drugs or, whatever.

I’ve looked a little into, trying to understand the neuropsychology behind dissociating, NDE’s, and lucid dreaming.

But yeah, surely if it’s possible for me to just accidentally slip into another life for 40 years or go to alternate realities simply from falling asleep, it’s likely possible to experience that via unlocking that with a drug. I just don’t know if everyone has the capacity.

By no means an expert on anything here, but yeah. Interesting conversation material, haha.

I'm curious to interview some people who have experienced this.
If you are interested in being interviewed, please shoot me a DM @blxnc

A trip report on Erowid or a rare salvinorin derivative describes going back in time to the 1960's and eating in a restaurant.
Tbh, I think that TR is bullshit. The red flags to me are how he picks up a newspaper or something and sees the date, plus the basically unknown salvinorin analogue.

That said, my own salvia experiences were absolutely bizarre and as real as anything I could imagine. I didn't live a whole life but was transported to a desert plain under a glowing sunset with a shrivelled elfman and the great Salvia Wheel and it was absolutely horrifyingly real. I had no memory of my real life in the slightest and was stunned when I came of it. Another trip I can only remember in bits and pieces but at one point I found myself being wheeled on a stretcher through a sort of futuristic aircraft hangar by two white robed green skinned aliens. I certainly don't think these things "really" happened, but damn the human brain is a masterful organ at generating realities. Look around you, its doing it right now.

Ime, salvia is just the strangest substance on earth but basically impossible to manage. And yet, I can imagine that I will try it at least one more time.

I've heard of people doing this on PCP. It was generally people who already had mental issues or got heavily into PCP (and developed mental issues).
I always figured that you just had to go pretty far out there on it. So, I've wondered if it is common on Ketamine (which I've never had).
Going far enough out to see shit on PCP is uncomfortable to most.

OP has clearly not been on the mermaid worl. Years pass like hours there and you can deffo breath underwater just using your gills. 10/10 real

Oukay, maybe not... In my most savage salvia trip, I was a stray dog running. There were malevolous childs throwing stones at me and I was just running for my life. It happenend in a flash, by any means I spent 40 years inside that dog, but deffo I connected and entered into that conscience by some miliseconds and the experience felt 100% subjetively real

It´s a pity that there´s no more salvia analogues. There´s probably a whole multiverse there waiting to be explored, but yea, salvia is a hell of random and can be quite brutal

the episodes of mermism and time travel are most likely embellished takeaways from experiences on salvia.
I have had many of them personally.

on the one hand, one's dream like mental contents can be as spectacular as being a merman among mermaids, with one or two amazing scenes that continue to resolve or unfold like a smile dawning and becoming more and more compelling. (or frightening...)

and on the other hand the sense of time passing is totally confounded by frame stacking, and the direction of time can be forward, backward, and stopped. With this effect, one could easily spend months trapped in an infinity of possible dreamscapes, and emerge 6 or 10 minutes later in a sweat!

the episodes of mermism and time travel are most likely embellished takeaways from experiences on salvia.
I have had many of them personally.
Bingo. That is my opinion too. Never had time travel nor did I ever become an object on Salvia. Maybe because it is used in dark and silence. While I never had time travel I have had the feeling Saliva was very glad to see me after some time.

I went to the dentist years ago on acid for 3 root canals. I sat in a chair with nitrous for 3 hours with headphones on. When the gas took off I felt like I died and saw there is no death. But I would never consider that an NDE. In fact it always annoys me when I see acid trips or ketamine trips as NDE's.

Things do get embellished. And let's face it more entertaining when we embrellish. But very important to keep that in perspective. Genuine objective Time travel is tough to prove.

I’ve heard or read on Erowid of someone taking way too much moxie experiencing like 1000 lifetimes this is news to me about salvia however

i used to like to go to the record stores when i was smoking salvia in like 2004. it was a big part of my life... so one of my first salvia trips it was like i was a cd being made, this is what i thought, it was really just a bunch of random colors and shapes. i had totally forgetten about my existance as a human. so i traveled through space as a cd case or something and ended up on a shelf of cds kind of like the shelf at the store i used to go to in reality but it was a lot more psychedelic and animated. i recognized it as the shelf at the store though and woke up.

a lot of my smoking salvia was like classic movies of what you'd expect black holes to look like, how in movies they are always colorful and psychedelic. it would really feel like my body shot through a black hole, maybe it was like traveling through tubes of colorful light at high speeds. my first few salvia trips i went really far out.

This is Ari Shaffir's actual salvia trip report, which he posted on Reddit after having the experience filmed live.

This is all on film on a Naughty Show podcast from the old Deathsquad studio at Redban's apartment. It's on Deathsquad.tv.

What happened was, I took a hit of salvia but I didn't quite take a big enough hit or I didn't hold it long enough. So it took me right to the edge of disappearing into my mind, but didn't quite get me through the barrier. So I took another hit. This time, the hit was as big as I could physically muster. It was massive. And I held it for a really long time. That hit alone would have been enough to make me obliterate my consciousness. But that hit, coupled with the one from before that got me ALMOST there put me in another place.

I was in a lake in the backyard of my childhood home. But I wasn't me swimming there. I was a new being, who lived under the water. It took me a little bit of time to learn how to breath water but then I learned. And I was there for a while. I mean, like, months. At least. I estimate I was there anywhere from 4 months to 2 years. I made friends. I had a life. All underwater.

At some point in my new life, I saw Sam Tripoli at the shore of the lake so I swam up to him to investigate (he was just sitting in the chair across from me in reality). That's when they started pulling me back into this existence. But what they didn't know was that I couldn't breath air any more. I had forgotten how after breathing underwater for so long.

I had to relearn the experience of breathing.

Man, that was a good trip. It looked hellish if you watch the video but what's important to understand is that the hellish part was me not wanting to leave my friends, family and life in the lake. It was just adjusting back to this reality that hurt. But the months or years I was living there were some of the most beautiful and peaceful of my life.

It's kind of like that Star Trek movie where Kirk is still alive and he had been in some dimension where all your dreams come true for all moments of every day and you live outside time. And then Picard came and got him out of there and he couldn't stand to live in the world for a while. But it wasn't that bad for me.

It sounds like a believable salvia trip to me. I've certainly read crazier ones, and the expected elements are there. A return to childhood, complete immersion in the other reality, a rug pull as reality starts setting back in. It's all pretty consistent with things I've come to expect out of salvia, not every trip, but commonly appearing in trips.

Notice the complete lack of clarity on the actual amount of time experienced in the trip. "I estimate I was there anywhere from 4 months to 2 years." is what he said.

I've taken a lot of different hallucinogenic drugs. Psychedelics, dissociatives, deliriants, amanitas, gaboxadol, synthetic cannabinoid overdoses, stimulant overdoses, zolpidem, gabapentin, DiPT.... Salvia is easily the craziest of all of them. If there's a drug that can fuck you up this much, I think salvia could be that drug. It's a bonkers drug with bonkers effects. That's just how it goes in my experience with it (and with observing others using it or administering it to them myself) so far.

I finally got to use salvia again at long last, nine years after my last experience when it had just become illegal in the place I used to live. Just about a week and a half ago I smoked a big bowl of plain leaf out of a nice new bong that I bought and got way further with it than than amount or strength would have ever gotten me before, obviously I've come along way with my reverse tolerance in those nine years. As I watched reality transform in the way it usually does, I was approaching a peak point where I felt a distinct fear that as I reached that peak, I would be plunged into an experience that would last for an infinite amount of time. However, when I actually let go into the idea of experiencing it, it was over in an instant, and I popped out on the other side in absolute bliss. From that moment I was coming down for maybe an hour, hour and a half with nothing but pure positivity, an amazing body high, and lingering smooth, brightly colored, opaque geometric visuals occasionally flitting by in my mind's eye. In the week and a half since then, despite the peak passing instantaneously, I've gotten occasional streams of visions that are highly crisp, directed, and feel as though they are behaving sort of like flashbacks or maybe more like callbacks to the infinite amount of time that I spent riding around the wheel of eternity in the instant that had passed at the peak of that salvia trip, sort of like even though I didn't actually get to live any of it, an infinite amount of salvia experience had been downloaded into my brain like the way they learn new skills without having to actually do anything in The Matrix. These flashes of vision have contained apparent lessons on the nature of my mind and the interaction it has with salvinorin A, and what that might mean for my consciousness and consciousness in general, although I think they may be starting to lessen in intensity now? Or maybe I've just seen all that they have to show me so far.

Salvia can do wonky things with the perception of time, and this experience I had just from smoking the plain leaf. I'm looking forward to experimenting with it further again now that I actually have the capacity to again finally at long last, so I'll be sure to report back if I have anything wild to say about my future experiences with respect to any of these crazy time-warping shenanigans. It has been an interest of mine for quite a long time as well, although I try to go into every experience without expectations.

I’ve heard or read on Erowid of someone taking way too much moxie experiencing like 1000 lifetimes this is news to me about salvia however

That's a great trip report. 5-methoxytryptamines are wonderful substances for exploring the mind too.

Last edited:
I often feel like salvia divinorum is the fountain of youth.
after using it I feel very vitalized for days

I've taken a lot of different hallucinogenic drugs. Psychedelics, dissociatives, deliriants, amanitas, gaboxadol, synthetic cannabinoid overdoses, stimulant overdoses, zolpidem, gabapentin, DiPT.... Salvia is easily the craziest of all of them. If there's a drug that can fuck you up this much, I think salvia could be that drug. It's a bonkers drug with bonkers effects. That's just how it goes in my experience with it (and with observing others using it or administering it to them myself) so far.
I've repeated this here a few times. I've always said Salvia is where a drug meets science fiction. So you are right, if anything is possible it is possible with Salvia. lol But it needs a skeptical base.

Good to see people talking about Salvia. The afterglow is very mentally organizing.

When i was on salvia i thought i was scalling up the wall in my room like a mountain climber. It was insane but i loved it. I don't doubt stories of different lives at all.Wish it was still legal. Fuck harper

have to say my body feels terrible when i come down from salvia... i actually stopped caring to use it after a couple months of daily use. the trips weren't really as intense and the body high wasn't feeling good when i'd get back to reality.

a couple years ago i started using it again after not using it for fifteen years. i was worried about full blown tripping because of nerve damage in my back, so i'd just inhale small amounts of extract burnt right off of my fingers, it would warp my vision like i was in a fun house with those mirrors... i tried smoking a full bowl at the end of an acid trip one time, but all it did was make a strobe light effect in reality and i didn't really break through. maybe it was weaker salvia than i was used to or it had something to do with the tolerance from acid affecting the salvia. i should've tried it while i was peaking. i'm hearing salvia is supposed to be a disassociative so i don't know why it would have a cross tolerance with a psychedelic, but that's kind of the way it seemed... i've also thought maybe my mind and body just didn't want to let the salvia work because of my back injury. i've heard salvia just doesn't work for some for whatever reason... i don't know i'm going to try salvia again in a few years. my back seems to be slowly healing, maybe it will work.

^ Salvia is actually a kappa opioid so it wouldnt have any cross tolerance with acid. I quite enjoyed the comedown actually

I've repeated this here a few times. I've always said Salvia is where a drug meets science fiction. So you are right, if anything is possible it is possible with Salvia. lol But it needs a skeptical base.

Good to see people talking about Salvia. The afterglow is very mentally organizing.

This is true, but it’s not like I’m just taking a gamble on the intensity and power of salvia here. This phenomenon of living alternate lives for extended periods of time on salvia has been independently reported by a number of people. At what point do you begin to ask yourself if there might actually be some truth to it?

Personally, I don’t think these kinds of effects are outside the realm of plausibility nor feasibility for the human brain. The salvia trips I’ve heard being described this way all sound fundamentally very simple, tending to involve a small set of often rather mundane activities repeated in extended loops. Is it not possible that the human brain is simply running a high magnitude of loop iterations without requiring much processing power (compared to perceiving and interacting with the external world, like what would be happening if you were truly for real living in an alternate reality and not just tripping) and imbuing consciousness with the sensation of time having passed normally throughout the simulation rather than at a rapid rate? After all, the sensation of time passing and the estimation of such are still just processes mediated and handled by the brain, and you’ll describe it consciously however your brain calculates it to be.

Incidentally, I’ve actually seen someone have one of these trips in person, having been administered by myself, although it was from smoked DMT, and the person tripping had psychotic issues. She was completely out of her mind for about five minutes straight, and when she came down one of the first things she said was “I was held captive for twenty-two days and fifteen minutes!” (Hilarious, by the way.) She described how she had been taken prisoner by a group of hyperspace gnomes who kept showing her precious gifts as if they were giving them to her and then yanking them away when she tried to take and/or see them, and that she just wanted to go home but they wouldn’t let her and just kept teaching her the secrets of the universe instead. The actual first thing she said when she came out of it was “I know everything there is to know!”

The mind is a wacky thing sometimes.