• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

experiences with Smart Recovery?

jasperkent

Bluelighter
I'm curious about anybody's experiences (good, bad, indifferent) with the Smart Recovery program. Here, I know of one meeting a week that is across town. I don't have a car or a license, so it is a big deal for me to try to get there.

I'm very familiar with 12-Step programs and have mixed feelings about them. Looking for something different.

Suggestions?

Peace&Love,
jasper

I went to a Smart Meeting once, and tbh, I was not all that impressed, but I think it was due to the "facilitator." I think that is a huge factor with Smart. He just seemed so concerned with steering everyone's contribution to "what Smart tools did you use or could have used." And this was when the person sharing clearly wanted to vent and get real feedback from actual fellow addicts. The facilitator seemed more like a therapy student than an addict, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

But, just my one-time experience... so, grain of salt etc

isn't 12 steps for alcoholism?

12 steps meeting run from Alcoholism anonymous, narcotic anonymous, pills anonymous, methadone anonymous, crystal meth anonymous, cocaine anonymous, overeaters anonymous, gamblers anonymous, sex addicts anonymous, etc.... ;)

i've only been to one SMART meeting, but i liked it.

i won't say too much more because there is only so much you can reflect on a single meeting, but i need to find out if anyone else is doing them in my general area.
the only reason i didn't go back to a second meeting is because that particular group stopped running them.

they're also not strictly for people addicted to drugs or alcohol - it's any compulsive behaviour, so it's not like you're sitting around telling drinking stories or fixating on your cravings.

it's definitely worth trying i reckon. might not be for you, but you've got nothing to lose, and you might get lucky and find a person or group of people organising the meetings that you click with straight away.
i can never see myself in an NA meeting - not knocking it; they do some great work - but it's just not my scene. it's not something that

but in my limited experience, the vibe i got from SMART was much more appealing for me. as always - YMMV :)

I wanted to go to one SMART meeting, I know where it is and was kind of looking forward to have a new type of program structure. Unfortunately I never got to go.
How is it different than a 12 step meeting?

I was planning on going, but never did make one. Still want to, currently 56 days clean and sober without any kind of program and feeling great.

I wanted to go to one SMART meeting, I know where it is and was kind of looking forward to have a new type of program structure. Unfortunately I never got to go.
How is it different than a 12 step meeting?
Never been to one, but from what I read it's more of a round table discussion where crosstalk is allowed(or it's supposed to be), and the program is different. Apparently it's a "four point program" the points being:point 1: Building and Maintaining Motivation

Point 2: Coping with Urges

Point 3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors

Point 4: Living a Balanced Life. https://www.smartrecovery.org/intro/

I don’t like sexistic oneliners but as I am not a moderator on this particular sub-forum I can’t do anything about it expect to wait that someone else reacts into it.

In the mean time you might want to consider rephrasing your oneliner :)

I won’t report it so you got more time to do that.

Yeah, this thread really isn't the place for that kind of nonsense.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not knocking 12 Step programs. They've done a lot of good for a lot of people. I've benefited greatly from AA and NA in the past; had clean/sober time ranging from one month to 3 years. I take full responsibility for my relapses.

I was just curious about other people's experiences in Smart Recovery (or any other programs, for that matter). I'm always eager to learn something new.

Peace&Love,
jasper

The problem here in the U.S. is finding meetings. When my son was looking there were multiple AA/NA meetings everyday all over town. There was exactly one SMART meeting and it was hard to get to. I have often wished more disgruntled AA people would re-channel their energy into getting certified as a SMART recovery group leader. It's a bit of a time committment and you pay $75 for the materials and bureaucracy but it would benefit so many people and help to break the stranglehold AA has on the court mandated attendance at meetings for people in the legal system.

I went to a Smart Meeting once, and tbh, I was not all that impressed, but I think it was due to the "facilitator." I think that is a huge factor with Smart. He just seemed so concerned with steering everyone's contribution to "what Smart tools did you use or could have used." And this was when the person sharing clearly wanted to vent and get real feedback from actual fellow addicts. The facilitator seemed more like a therapy student than an addict, which kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

But, just my one-time experience... so, grain of salt etc
That would be a deal breaker for me man.

Shame to see.

Might still check one out as I see a new location which is decent feng shui wise from an architectural perspective not so much energy wise as it is an outpatient rehab and they tend to be less than gold juju in my eyes. But then it is ok because it is like people are trying to get clean it ain't gotta be the Taj Mahal of meeting locations hahahhaa but it ain't like people are smackin' bundles of junk inside the joint.

Only problem is this new location is in the middle of a weekday and I might be working. Will certainly go if I have the availability. Certainly hope to not see shit like this being pulled.

Let me rethink that actually. Say it was an actual therapy student or even professional leading it. I think I might it be kind of helpful if they weren't acting like an addict whatever that means and were encouraging applying the program to issues lol.

Last edited: