Exercise 4 Health, Mental Health, and Addiction vs. I worked all that out

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I think I am doing a lot for a gym session. It's cool I feel awesome! I have been seeing great results as of late with a combination of diet and hot yoga.

I am doing the 30 day tricep challenge that was introduced to me by Perpetual Indulgence, an awesome workoutholic bluelighter (although I haven't seen her post for a long time on bl.) There are other sets of exercises usually 30 days that I follow although I am not sure what the next challenge is.

I have heard about insanity yeah my friend is doing the insanity right now but she said her diet is not helping hhaha which means she eats a lot of junk food.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the crunches exercise as I am seeing results.

I feal right as rain.. =D

a food and caloric journal is a great way to loose weight. It makes you accountable, shows you where we pick up all the extra calories, and allows us to create a 500 calorie a day deficit which will allow us to loose fat and not muscle.

^I know for sure that I am losing as I have been following a caloric deficit and I am a workoutholic (which seems obvious).

I am thinking of cancelling my hot yoga classes though for monthly payment, it's becoming costly and plus summer time I would want to be doing more outside activities. I am looking into kick boxing again and see if I could get a three-month deal, one of my friends who goes to kickboxing said that he might be able to get me a good deal if I signed up for three months.

If a 500 cal deficite is maintained then people loose about a .5 kg (1 lb) a week.. just keep at it.

I thought I would have lost ground when I lifted.. It felt like I was stronger than the last time.. a little rest might have been just the ticket.

^same here, it's good that I decided to just go home and rest ladt night. I did pretty amazing tonight too and I'm ready for another workout tomorrow. I think I should go to hot yoga tomorrow after my gym session as it always relaxes me after.

hahaha contrary to what I have said yesterday I didn't go today and just napped lol. Going tomorrow and see how it goes my friends

Abstract
Voluntary physical activity and exercise training can favorably influence brain plasticity by facilitating neurogenerative, neuroadaptive, and neuroprotective processes. At least some of the processes are mediated by neurotrophic factors. Motor skill training and regular exercise enhance executive functions of cognition and some types of learning, including motor learning in the spinal cord. These adaptations in the central nervous system have implications for the prevention and treatment of obesity, cancer, depression, the decline in cognition associated with aging, and neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's dementia, ischemic stroke, and head and spinal cord injury. Chronic voluntary physical activity also attenuates neural responses to stress in brain circuits responsible for regulating peripheral sympathetic activity, suggesting constraint on sympathetic responses to stress that could plausibly contribute to reductions in clinical disorders such as hypertension, heart failure, oxidative stress, and suppression of immunity. Mechanisms explaining these adaptations are not as yet known, but metabolic and neurochemical pathways among skeletal muscle, the spinal cord, and the brain offer plausible, testable mechanisms that might help explain effects of physical activity and exercise on the central nervous system.
source:Neurobiology of Exercise

Exercise and Brain Neurotransmission

Last edited:
^thanks for sharing that NSA

Went to the gym then hot yoga after! Anyone did something crazy with their workouts today?

Thank you, NSA, for this. I will have a look at that sometime.

Maya, if your routine is working then good on you n glad you're seeing results as you work hard n deserve them. As I said you're doing Russian twist which are cardio-base form of crunch so I can understand it working.

I think it's people who only do stomach crunches n nothing else, no cardio or strength training, that don 't see benefits. This is because you already have your desired abs (I'm using "you" plurally here) it's just the layer of fat the person has over it that needs burning off hense the cardio n strength training.

Take care n again, well done,

Evey

Last edited:
I didn't go to the gym all weekend (Friday to Sunday)... because instead I went camping all weekend. :) And I ended up getting a better workout than I have ever gotten at 3 days of the gym. First we had to hike a 3/4 mile trail that is steep downhill the way to the river and of course uphill the way back, we had to make 2 round trips because we had a lot of stuff including a bunch of water, total over 200 pounds. Except the second time up I realized at the top that I forgot my car key, so we hiked a total of 4.5 miles that day. Then the next day we spent ALL day (11am to 8pm) walking the river, in the water the whole time, balancing on rocks and constantly testing the next step. It was a whole body workout like I never imagined, especially my core. I even climbed up small waterfalls, standing sometimes knee-deep in powerful rushing water. It was the most fun I can recall having in many years, since I was a kid doing similar stuff. Then the last day we did that for a couple more hours and then hiked all of our stuff back UP the trail, 3 miles total this time since I remembered my keys. But the way up was of course harder work. However, this time it was much easier for me than going down two days before, and I even offered to carry extra because my friend was so tired from the weekend. I got in much better shape so quickly.

I'm SO SORE today, but it was more than worth it. Late on the 2nd day my sandals broke from a misstep so the 3rd day I walked a mile up and down the river with bare feet, which lets you use your feet to grip but is also much more strenuous because every step has to be taken gingerly and it puts a lot of pressure on your knees because you can't just step forward heedless of there being something sharp.

So much fun, I wish I could just live my life being in places like that and just surviving. I am going to do that kind of thing a lot more. Where I live there are literally THOUSANDS of hidden little spots like that everywhere, within 200 miles in most any direction. A good friend (a Bluelighter, as is the friend I went with :)) told us about the place we went and said it's one of his favorite places in the whole area, and he grew up here and is a big outdoors guy.

I just got back from working out (took yesterday off to recuperate from what I described above)... that camping trip made a HUGE difference! I am lifting pretty much 10 more pounds all around, and for the first time I have absolutely zero back pain afterwards... I have been working on my core a lot and the river walking was the best core workout I've ever had. And now it's paying off. I feel so strong, everything is easier than it used to be. Also, I did cardio for 5 minutes longer than usual and I didn't even sweat that much, even though my heart rate was where it should have been. In fact I didn't sweat through my shirt a single time on the machines, which is a first.

<3

Then the next day we spent ALL day (11am to 8pm) walking the river, in the water the whole time, balancing on rocks and constantly testing the next step. It was a whole body workout like I never imagined, especially my core. I even climbed up small waterfalls, standing sometimes knee-deep in powerful rushing water. It was the most fun I can recall having in many years, since I was a kid doing similar stuff.
I walked a mile up and down the river with bare feet, which lets you use your feet to grip but is also much more strenuous because every step has to be taken gingerly and it puts a lot of pressure on your knees because you can't just step forward heedless of there being something sharp.

So much fun, I wish I could just live my life being in places like that and just surviving.

Xor, that is exactly what I did for months in South America. It was the most healing thing I have ever done. Even though I live by the sea and cannot imagine ever not doing so, rivers have a certain healing quality that is unparallelled; mountain rivers even more so. Glad you had such a wonderful time and hope you get to do it lots more.<3

Thank you, and I will, I live in the heart of it. I have a great river for walking about 25 minutes from my house. :) <3 I have always walked rivers since I was a kid, when I have been at them, but this was next level, I spent probably 12 hours of the 3 days I was there actively doing it, taking the most difficult routes, sometimes bare feet, sometimes my sandals. It's truly a whole-body workout, because I found a river-walking stick and used my upper body a lot to balance and add lift. The place felt so magical, truly a special location (and virtually unknown to non-locals).

^I have only two places in my life where I experience true "flow"; by that I mean that magical state where you are no longer your thoughts but your body moves as if from some profoundly connected state with the environment it is in. The first is landscape painting and the second is river rock hopping. As I age balance becomes more and more difficult and I find that this ability of mine to fly across the backs of river rocks without forethought can no longer be counted on to just happen every time. While that brings me a certain amount of regret it also makes the times it happens even more delightful. Basically it is a fearless state and whatever I can do to be in that state is divine opportunity.

I forget, are you in North Carolina?

Yeah, Asheville, though the place I went to is closer to Boone.

I felt like my balance was utterly perfect. I was getting lost in a trance of muscle movement and exhilaration. I took several pretty intense risks but I was sure of myself and I never got hurt, other than a few bruises on my feet when I went barefoot. The walking stick was a huge help because I could use it to lean on when testing the next rock. This was my favorite river I've ever walked in, by far. Many waterfalls, but 5-10 foot ones. Large underwater rocks made entirely of rose and regular quartz, sparkling beautifully in the sunlight. Lots of green underwater moss to provide traction, so I could stand right at the edge of many waterfalls with the water rushing past me, pulling but not disrupting my balance. Or I could sit or lay down there and let the water gush over me. It ranged from knee deep to chest deep. The water was cold but invigorating, when I kept my whole body in there for a couple of minutes it felt perfectly comfortable. At one point I even floated on my front and walked the river with my hands, pulling myself up onto dry rocks and sliding back in and pulling against the current along the rocks on the bottom. I also made at least a dozen rock towers in improbable and beautiful places. I never needed to rest, I was, as you say, in the flow. I can't think of a single thing I'd rather have been doing, it was perfect in every way.

I finally got the nerve up to ask the attractive girl who works at my gym out to lunch. And ya, I'm eating lunch by myself right now. Sigh. :( Hopefully this won't make things awkward from now on. But I am trying to stop being such a coward with women. Oh well, life goes on.

Going to get to the gym sometime this afternoon. Do my best to lift and make incremental progress. Act like nothing happened.

coming up on third week of light activity.. shoulder has seemed to finally heal.. jumping back into the mix tomorrow.

i did nude yoga this morn, somewhat inspired by a ninae post

was pretty hard to concentrate at the start due to arousal bcus the video i was following had a nude girl as the model...

overall idk if it was superior to clothed yoga, but ill prbly keep doing it every morning for kicks anyway

I just had the same friend I went camping with over, and grilled some amazing burgers and sausages for us, and made plans to river walk in this beautiful river nearby on Saturday, 11 til maybe 4. I love where I live so much. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.