• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Excess Serotonin Induce Neuronal Apoptosis(Kills Brain Cells)

Bravoncius Roxford

Bluelighter
I suffer from depression, and over the years I have taken serotonergic medications like paroxetine, imipramine and moclobemide. However, I am not concerned with the possibility of permanent brain damage, as there is evidence that high levels of serotonin trigger apoptosis in human nerve cells. The best paper is this one https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...ptosis&usg=AFQjCNFQU1pqVC5AjX93dNEv0ag6TUMP0g The article is highly, highly technical, and I wish someone with a strong scientific background could interpret it for me. From what I understood, stimulation of the 5-HT2A receptor, in particular, triggers apoptosis(programmed cell death). If high levels of serotonin is brain-destroying, then why are SSRIs pproved drugs. Can anyone please interpret this highly technical data for me. Thanks.

If high levels of serotonin is brain-destroying, then why are SSRIs pproved drugs..

Drinking more than 10 liters of water in one go can be lethal, so according to your logic: "why is the deadly toxin water legal?"

Even when SSRIs occupy all SERTs, they still only increase serotonin levels to ~2-5x, which isn't even nearly enough to cause 5-ht2a apoptosis.

Drinking more than 10 liters of water in one go can be lethal, so according to your logic: "why is the deadly toxin water legal?"

Even when SSRIs occupy all SERTs, they still only increase serotonin levels to ~2-5x, which isn't even nearly enough to cause 5-ht2a apoptosis.
"Going by my logic..." Except that you're not going by my logic at all. The point is, there is evidence that the increases in serotonin caused by regular doses of serotonergic drugs that are consumed are enough to cause neurotoxicity. If you had read the article, which is clearly not the case, you'd know the researcher pointed out damage caused by even low amounts of MDMA Your analogy with water is ridiculous because are physiologies are designed to deal with varying levels of water throughout the day, and you would need to ingest several liters of water at once to have water poisoning. Conversely, serotonergic drugs and even things like 5-HTP cause a variation in levels of serotonin at the synapse that our physiologies were never designed to handle. Hence, "my logic" is pretty well grounded. Methinks it's yours that is not.

Nope, you don't know about the difference between MDMA and SSRIs.
MDMA (even at 10^-6 M) increases serotonin to ~20x, SSRIs (even at insane doses) only increase it to a tenth of that.

And yes, you would have to overdose on water to die, just like you would have to overdose on serotonin to cause apoptosis and with SSRIs that's impossible, whereas with MDMA it is possible.

I never said that MDMA can't cause apoptosis, it can, but like I said SSRIs are 10x less efficacious

As an example you can do things like give an animal an SSRI ~5 hours after the MDMA (after the majority of 5-HT release has already occured) to block neurotoxicity. The neurotoxicity observed when mega dosing animals with the serotonin/monoamine releasing agents isn't because of elevated serotonin, its basically because of neurotoxic metabolites of MDMA

Whereas SSRIs are non-neurotoxic, and they downregulate and desensitize 5-HT2A anyways. Whats more important is stuff like activation of 5-HT1 receptors that mediate the therapeutic response via increases in brain growth and neuroplasticity (essentially)

As an example you can do things like give an animal an SSRI ~5 hours after the MDMA (after the majority of 5-HT release has already occured) to block neurotoxicity. The neurotoxicity observed when mega dosing animals with the serotonin/monoamine releasing agents isn't because of elevated serotonin, its basically because of neurotoxic metabolites of MDMA.
Whereas SSRIs are non-neurotoxic, and they downregulate and desensitize 5-HT2A anyways.

You are right, I totally forgot about this kind of research. This happens before the serotonin levels get too high, but even if that was not the case, too high of a serotonin level (with an acute high dose of a non-metabolite-toxic MDMA) would also cause apoptosis through 5-ht2a and they would likely not desensitize fast enough to prevent damage, but this is only a theoretical thing, since the metabolite-toxicity hits before that happens, like you said!

Whats more important is stuff like activation of 5-HT1 receptors that mediate the therapeutic response via increases in brain growth and neuroplasticity (essentially)

5-ht2b is also essential btw:

5-HT2B receptors are required for serotonin-selective antidepressant actions

^I always thought the relationship between 5-HT2B, SERT and MDMA was really interesting. I'd still like to know why 5-HT2B is required for MDMA's serotonin release.

Does it mean that super potent agonists like 25x-NBOMe's might induce neuronal apoptosis or cause proliferation of brain cells?

I wouldn't worry about that, they may produce more significant tolerance and psychedelics can cause adverse effects but I wouldn't worry about it being due to any actual injury to neurons.

Last edited:
As an example you can do things like give an animal an SSRI ~5 hours after the MDMA (after the majority of 5-HT release has already occured) to block neurotoxicity. The neurotoxicity observed when mega dosing animals with the serotonin/monoamine releasing agents isn't because of elevated serotonin, its basically because of neurotoxic metabolites of MDMA

Whereas SSRIs are non-neurotoxic, and they downregulate and desensitize 5-HT2A anyways. Whats more important is stuff like activation of 5-HT1 receptors that mediate the therapeutic response via increases in brain growth and neuroplasticity (essentially)

Uh...what? There is plenty of evidence that the SSRIs are neurotoxic. They are even effective as oncogenic agents due to their amazing ability to induce cell(including nerve cell) suicide: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...000848&usg=AFQjCNHhIAlZr7gxWL_ZDuy4gtj5ANalYQ
https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...37.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGVNzSDpM8Y0mOsiViGvAAxLztqDg SSRIs induce plasma membrane cell damage: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...visiae&usg=AFQjCNFU63vWMCho9aKhYwJPF96XVARUXw https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...29523/&usg=AFQjCNHU54cwh39RPyGOx7NSjwPORCD5gA Increase markers of cell-suicide https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...77/pdf&usg=AFQjCNFbr2NRTbeLUNUDnF62rdPNCtMVow

Unfortunately, it does seem that SSRIs are neurotoxic. Some of it is caused by excessive stimulation of the 5-HT2A receptos, but a lot of it is caused by their molecular structure. It seems that SSRIs increase several transcription factors such as caspase-3 and tumor necrosis alpha which induce nerve cells to suicide. I say "unfortunately" because if you are severaly depressed this is a really shitty choice to make: do not take antidepressants and kill yourself, or take them and lose millions of brain cells and risk possible early dementia.

Actually, you are wrong. SSRIs block the "rebound" effect of extremely low serotonin levels, which can cause a different type of neurotoxicity, with loss of setonergic axoms. However, the SSRIs further increase 5-HT2A toxicity. Not to mention t hat the SSRIs are neurotoxic in themselves.

Nope, you don't know about the difference between MDMA and SSRIs.
MDMA (even at 10^-6 M) increases serotonin to ~20x, SSRIs (even at insane doses) only increase it to a tenth of that.

And yes, you would have to overdose on water to die, just like you would have to overdose on serotonin to cause apoptosis and with SSRIs that's impossible, whereas with MDMA it is possible.

I never said that MDMA can't cause apoptosis, it can, but like I said SSRIs are 10x less efficacious

What evidence do you have that levels of setotonin comparable to those of taking MDMA are needed to induce apoptosis of nerve cells? BTW, certain SSRIs like sertraline and paroxetine have been known to cause serotonin syndrome even alone when taken in doses only 2 X greater than therapeutic doses. They are quite powerful at blocking SERT.

Uh...what? There is plenty of evidence that the SSRIs are neurotoxic. They are even effective as oncogenic agents due to their amazing ability to induce cell(including nerve cell) suicide: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...000848&usg=AFQjCNHhIAlZr7gxWL_ZDuy4gtj5ANalYQ
https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...37.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGVNzSDpM8Y0mOsiViGvAAxLztqDg SSRIs induce plasma membrane cell damage: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...visiae&usg=AFQjCNFU63vWMCho9aKhYwJPF96XVARUXw https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...29523/&usg=AFQjCNHU54cwh39RPyGOx7NSjwPORCD5gA Increase markers of cell-suicide https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...77/pdf&usg=AFQjCNFbr2NRTbeLUNUDnF62rdPNCtMVow

Unfortunately, it does seem that SSRIs are neurotoxic. Some of it is caused by excessive stimulation of the 5-HT2A receptos, but a lot of it is caused by their molecular structure. It seems that SSRIs increase several transcription factors such as caspase-3 and tumor necrosis alpha which induce nerve cells to suicide. I say "unfortunately" because if you are severaly depressed this is a really shitty choice to make: do not take antidepressants and kill yourself, or take them and lose millions of brain cells and risk possible early dementia.

I don't think you're accurately reading the studies. The first study seems to be talking about immunosuppresant properties of SSRIs, while the second paper is on the possibility of using SSRI to induce cell death in cancer cell lines, which says the following

"Assessment of paroxetine cytotoxicity in primary mouse brain and neuronalcultures showed significantly lower sensitivity to the drug's proapoptotic activity.

The high sensitivity to these drugs of the cancer cell,compared with primary brain tissue, suggests the potential use of theseagents in the treatment of brain-derived tumors."

I really don't see any evidence that SSRIs are producing appreciable cell death in healthy cells at therapeutic concentrations.

Much less that SSRIs increase the risk of "early dementia"... That latter bit should be readily visible by now seeing as how long SSRIs have been on the market.

"Actually, you are wrong. SSRIs block the "rebound" effect of extremely low serotonin levels, which can cause a different type of neurotoxicity, with loss of setonergic axoms. "

Do you have any evidence of this rebound activity causing cell death? You are challenging most of what is known about MDMA related neurotoxicity without any actual evidence. All the evidence you've quoted so far (re: high 5-HT levels causing cell death) has sucked in terms of supporting your claims

EDIT: Did all the papers you linked use cancer cell lines??? I see the very bottom one did too now.

You can't generalize what effects SSRIs will have in a cancer cell line in vitro to what effect they will have on the brain in vivo.

If the SSRIs are encouraging pruning/apoptosis of some synapses or cells then this isn't necessarily a bad thing as well, some could even be necessary for the synpatic remodeling that is thought to underlie antidepressant's efficacy.

As an example of apoptosis being perfectly acceptable in some situations, think of the development of the hands. When your hands first form, your digits are actually all connected - its programmed cell death that allows each individual finger to emerge appropriately, otherwise you would just have a big flipper with no fingers.

EDIT: Did all the papers you linked use cancer cell lines??? I see the very bottom one did too now.

You can't generalize what effects SSRIs will have in a cancer cell line in vitro to what effect they will have on the brain in vivo.

If the SSRIs are encouraging pruning/apoptosis of some synapses or cells then this isn't necessarily a bad thing as well, some could even be necessary for the synpatic remodeling that is thought to underlie antidepressant's efficacy.

As an example of apoptosis being perfectly acceptable in some situations, think of the development of the hands. When your hands first form, your digits are actually all connected - its programmed cell death that allows each individual finger to emerge appropriately, otherwise you would just have a big flipper with no fingers.

I agree Cotchya, I think OP is being overly 'mechanistic' e.g. empirical with the mechanism of his meta-physics in regard to the scientific physics of drug interactions: what are tumors i.e. cellular cancer except/save-for one repeating wall of same-cell type reticulated into differing cell membrane "islands" of uniqueness. There is no 'universal solvent' in ancient alchemy because what would you store/hold it in? So modern chemistry must have a 'cure' for cancer, even if each individual type of cancer, like cures for different virulent viruses which just repeat themselves free-flowing/floating through the body to copy themselves using your metabolic mechanisms, cancer uses this against the infrastructure, statically. Thus how viral and carcinogenic structures, like crystal growth in elemental nature, are similar.

If serotonin is a basic 'organizing' and bifurcating process of differing processes, it may kill cancer cells without killing healthy, organized, cells.

I agree Cotchya, I think OP is being overly 'mechanistic' e.g. empirical with the mechanism of his meta-physics in regard to the scientific physics of drug interactions: what are tumors i.e. cellular cancer except/save-for one repeating wall of same-cell type reticulated into differing cell membrane "islands" of uniqueness. There is no 'universal solvent' in ancient alchemy because what would you store/hold it in? So modern chemistry must have a 'cure' for cancer, even if each individual type of cancer, like cures for different virulent viruses which just repeat themselves free-flowing/floating through the body to copy themselves using your metabolic mechanisms, cancer uses this against the infrastructure, statically. Thus how viral and carcinogenic structures, like crystal growth in elemental nature, are similar.

If serotonin is a basic 'organizing' and bifurcating process of differing processes, it may kill cancer cells without killing healthy, organized, cells.

This is a nice piece of uncogent semantic babbling. I don't know if you were trying to sound pedantic on purpose, but it backfired because you wrote several sentences and yet said nothing. What I "deciphered" from what you wrote is redundant, that cancers are different cells sharing the same cellular membranes and that viruses use the cell's replication machinery for it's own benefit. Yeah, you just stated a well-known but irrelevant to this discussion scientific fact with so many more words than needed. Your point is? Then you went on about serotonin killing cancer cells without killing healthy cells because serotonin is involved in prunning cells that go wrong. Well, wrong. Seronin actually kills healthy cells. During the last four months of the fetus inside the wonb, serotonin leads to suicide of about half of all neurons of the developing fetus.

Serotonin is dangerous to the brain in supra-physiological amounts. The evidence is overwhelming

I don't think you're accurately reading the studies. The first study seems to be talking about immunosuppresant properties of SSRIs, while the second paper is on the possibility of using SSRI to induce cell death in cancer cell lines, which says the following

"Assessment of paroxetine cytotoxicity in primary mouse brain and neuronalcultures showed significantly lower sensitivity to the drug's proapoptotic activity.

The high sensitivity to these drugs of the cancer cell,compared with primary brain tissue, suggests the potential use of theseagents in the treatment of brain-derived tumors."

I really don't see any evidence that SSRIs are producing appreciable cell death in healthy cells at therapeutic concentrations.

Much less that SSRIs increase the risk of "early dementia"... That latter bit should be readily visible by now seeing as how long SSRIs have been on the market.

"Actually, you are wrong. SSRIs block the "rebound" effect of extremely low serotonin levels, which can cause a different type of neurotoxicity, with loss of setonergic axoms. "

Do you have any evidence of this rebound activity causing cell death? You are challenging most of what is known about MDMA related neurotoxicity without any actual evidence. All the evidence you've quoted so far (re: high 5-HT levels causing cell death) has sucked in terms of supporting your claims

If you read the studies I posted carefully, they use neurons in two of the studies. Also, the concentrations are not that much higher than you get from therapeutic use: about 10-30 times higher doses. I would agree with you if the doses used were close to 10,000 X the therapeutic dose. Even caffeine leads to mass cell apoptosis in doses equivalent to 100 grams. The problem is that the doses of SSRIs that lead to mass apoptosis of neurons is only 10 to 30 X greater than the therapeutic dose. This is close. Now, the therapeutic doses might not lead to mass apoptosis, but considering that the doses that do are only 10 X higher, it is not unreasonable to assume that therapeutic doses might kill some brain cells and be hamful to the brain.

Also, there is a huge difference between cell prunning in the forming fetus and in an adult. You cannot compare the two. I hardly think that massive brain cell loss is a good thing in adults. Especially considering that massive brain cell loss is one of the hallmark traits of degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's.

But, hey, I have no problem admitting that I am wrong. If you can post studies and/or evidence that SSRIs such as sertraline, paroxetine, escitalopram, etc, do not destroy brain cells at therapeutic doses I will admit that I am wrong.

You haven't actually cited anything about SSRIs inducing appreciable apoptosis in healthy neuronal cells or degeneration in vivo - all the papers cited concern cancer cell lines or yeast, and the yeast cells were given micromolar concentrations of an SSRI apparently.

If you look back at what I copy and pasted for you earlier, the authors of one paper even acknowledge that the selectivity of SSRIs inducing appreciable apoptosis only in cancerous cells is actually desirable in terms of using SSRIs for cancer -

"Assessment of paroxetine cytotoxicity in primary mouse brain and neuronal cultures showed significantly lower sensitivity to the drug's proapoptotic activity.

The high sensitivity to these drugs of the cancer cell, compared with primary brain tissue, suggests the potential use of these agents in the treatment of brain-derived tumors."

But at the end of the day I don't really know where you are going with all this? There are many ways by which SSRIs could cause persisting adverse and detrimental effects, especially in people who are already diseased. I wouldn't tunnel vision on programmed cell death.

For example, one of the concerns with chronic benzo use leading to dementia is that benzos impair REM sleep - SSRIs impair REM sleep as well, so there could be some concern there. There are even concerns that anticholinergics speed along neurodegenerative disease in the elderly, and this could be due to increased accumulation of plaques.

When we are talking about neurodegenerative disease, you have to think much larger than the cell culture, and you also have to consider that the diseases the meds are hoping to treat might also predispose one to developing neurodegenerative disease and this adds a lot more confounders to the situation.

Obviously these studies are difficult to do because there are some many confounders, but here is an example
https://www.researchgate.net/public...a_in_patients_with_severe_depressive_disorder

"It was concluded that continued long-term treatment with older antidepressants is associated with a reduced rate of dementia in patients treated in psychiatric healthcare settings, whereas continued treatment with other kinds of antidepressants is not."

My point is that regardless of whether TCA's show apoptotic activity in vitro, their in vivo effects on the risk of developing neurodegenerative disease could be completely different.

Moreover, even if there is some evidence that SSRIs increase the risk of neurodegenerative disease (which there is), it would be difficult to link this to a direct action of SSRIs on cells that induced apoptosis rather than something like chronically impaired REM.

RE: fetus vs. adult

There could be some advantages to restoring plasticity to that of a younger brain in some cells. For example see the following

"Critical period plasticity in the mammalian visual cortex is a well-characterized model for cortical development and plasticity [37,38,87,88] (Figure 3). It is widely thought that similar processes govern the development and tuning of neuronal connectivity in other cortical areas as well [1,88]. Recent studies have revealed that critical period-like plasticity can be reactivated in the adult visual cortex by a number of treatments, including enrichment and chronic fluoxetine treatment (Figure 3D) [40,48,59,62,89,90].

Reactivation of developmental plasticity in adult brain is apparently not restricted to the visual cortex. Chronic fluoxetine treatment induces a dematuration of neurons in the mouse DG that extends to the already matured granule neurons [58]. A recent study used the fear-conditioning paradigm to show that chronic fluoxetine treatment increases neuronal plasticity in the amygdala and leads to the long-term removal of conditioned fear response when fluoxetine treatment is combined with extinction training; neither fluoxetine treatment nor extinction training alone produced a long-term fear removal [60].

These findings demonstrate that enriched environment or fluoxetine treatment in adult animals reactivates a critical period-like plasticity, which facilitates the reorganization and functional recovery of a network miswired during development.

In addition to synapse number, synaptic strength is also dynamically regulated by environmental experiences, including enriched environment, exercise, and antidepressant drugs. Chronic fluoxetine administration increases long-term potentiation (LTP) in the DG elicited in the absence of GABAAreceptor (GABAAR) inhibitors, and this effect depends on the newborn neurons [12].

In the presence of GABA
AR inhibitors, DG LTP is reduced, perhaps due to occlusion, and long-term depression (LTD) is enhanced [12,57,58]. Enrichment and fluoxetine enable LTP in the adult rat visual cortex [48,59], and a similar effect of fluoxetine treatment on LTP was observed in the murine amygdala [60].

These findings may be related to the “dematuration” process observed after chronic fluoxetine administration in the dentate granule neurons [
58], indicating that antidepressant treatment reactivated a juvenile-like plasticity in brain [48,60]. Enriched environment and perhaps also fluoxetine treatment during early life accelerate cortical maturation [6163].

Conversely, chronic mild stress facilitates LTD in the CA1 area and chronic antidepressant treatment blocked this LTD facilitation and enhanced LTP [
64]. Thus, chronic antidepressant treatment and enriched environment may increase synaptic plasticity in several brain areas (Figure 1), which may be consistent with the increased dendritic spine dynamics and turnover induced by antidepressant treatment [40]."

Try not to get lost in unappreciable effects of drugs. I see people tunnel vision on this sort of stuff all the time and it just never does them any good.

Last edited:
You haven't actually cited anything about SSRIs inducing appreciable apoptosis in healthy neuronal cells or degeneration in vivo - all the papers cited concern cancer cell lines or yeast, and the yeast cells were given micromolar concentrations of an SSRI apparently.

If you look back at what I copy and pasted for you earlier, the authors of one paper even acknowledge that the selectivity of SSRIs inducing appreciable apoptosis only in cancerous cells is actually desirable in terms of using SSRIs for cancer -

"Assessment of paroxetine cytotoxicity in primary mouse brain and neuronal cultures showed significantly lower sensitivity to the drug's proapoptotic activity.

The high sensitivity to these drugs of the cancer cell, compared with primary brain tissue, suggests the potential use of these agents in the treatment of brain-derived tumors."

But at the end of the day I don't really know where you are going with all this? There are many ways by which SSRIs could cause persisting adverse and detrimental effects, especially in people who are already diseased. I wouldn't tunnel vision on programmed cell death.

For example, one of the concerns with chronic benzo use leading to dementia is that benzos impair REM sleep - SSRIs impair REM sleep as well, so there could be some concern there. There are even concerns that anticholinergics speed along neurodegenerative disease in the elderly, and this could be due to increased accumulation of plaques.

When we are talking about neurodegenerative disease, you have to think much larger than the cell culture, and you also have to consider that the diseases the meds are hoping to treat might also predispose one to developing neurodegenerative disease and this adds a lot more confounders to the situation.

Obviously these studies are difficult to do because there are some many confounders, but here is an example
https://www.researchgate.net/public...a_in_patients_with_severe_depressive_disorder

"It was concluded that continued long-term treatment with older antidepressants is associated with a reduced rate of dementia in patients treated in psychiatric healthcare settings, whereas continued treatment with other kinds of antidepressants is not."

My point is that regardless of whether TCA's show apoptotic activity in vitro, their in vivo effects on the risk of developing neurodegenerative disease could be completely different.

Moreover, even if there is some evidence that SSRIs increase the risk of neurodegenerative disease (which there is), it would be difficult to link this to a direct action of SSRIs on cells that induced apoptosis rather than something like chronically impaired REM.

RE: fetus vs. adult

There could be some advantages to restoring plasticity to that of a younger brain in some cells. For example see the following

"Critical period plasticity in the mammalian visual cortex is a well-characterized model for cortical development and plasticity [37,38,87,88] (Figure 3). It is widely thought that similar processes govern the development and tuning of neuronal connectivity in other cortical areas as well [1,88]. Recent studies have revealed that critical period-like plasticity can be reactivated in the adult visual cortex by a number of treatments, including enrichment and chronic fluoxetine treatment (Figure 3D) [40,48,59,62,89,90].

Reactivation of developmental plasticity in adult brain is apparently not restricted to the visual cortex. Chronic fluoxetine treatment induces a dematuration of neurons in the mouse DG that extends to the already matured granule neurons [58]. A recent study used the fear-conditioning paradigm to show that chronic fluoxetine treatment increases neuronal plasticity in the amygdala and leads to the long-term removal of conditioned fear response when fluoxetine treatment is combined with extinction training; neither fluoxetine treatment nor extinction training alone produced a long-term fear removal [60].

These findings demonstrate that enriched environment or fluoxetine treatment in adult animals reactivates a critical period-like plasticity, which facilitates the reorganization and functional recovery of a network miswired during development.

In addition to synapse number, synaptic strength is also dynamically regulated by environmental experiences, including enriched environment, exercise, and antidepressant drugs. Chronic fluoxetine administration increases long-term potentiation (LTP) in the DG elicited in the absence of GABAAreceptor (GABAAR) inhibitors, and this effect depends on the newborn neurons [12].

In the presence of GABA
AR inhibitors, DG LTP is reduced, perhaps due to occlusion, and long-term depression (LTD) is enhanced [12,57,58]. Enrichment and fluoxetine enable LTP in the adult rat visual cortex [48,59], and a similar effect of fluoxetine treatment on LTP was observed in the murine amygdala [60].

These findings may be related to the “dematuration” process observed after chronic fluoxetine administration in the dentate granule neurons [
58], indicating that antidepressant treatment reactivated a juvenile-like plasticity in brain [48,60]. Enriched environment and perhaps also fluoxetine treatment during early life accelerate cortical maturation [6163].

Conversely, chronic mild stress facilitates LTD in the CA1 area and chronic antidepressant treatment blocked this LTD facilitation and enhanced LTP [
64]. Thus, chronic antidepressant treatment and enriched environment may increase synaptic plasticity in several brain areas (Figure 1), which may be consistent with the increased dendritic spine dynamics and turnover induced by antidepressant treatment [40]."

Try not to get lost in unappreciable effects of drugs. I see people tunnel vision on this sort of stuff all the time and it just never does them any good.

SSRIs increase markers of iapoptosis such as caspase-3 and TnAlpha: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...54.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEo_OLKi-RMPaYjUsY7_X1US3zizA SSRIs indude direct apoptosis to hyppocampal cells: https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&...55945/&usg=AFQjCNHMYJin9xFdU2YkvO6iQouySpMEIg

If you read the studies I posted previously, they were comparing healthy brain tissue to cancer cells lines, and demonstrated that while the healthy brain tissue was more resilient to the induction of apoptosis, that the same markers of TnAlpha and caspase-3 and caspase-9 increased in the healthy brain tissue as well.

And yes, serotonin leads to dematuration of neurons, which is probably only beneficial in the amygdala and hyppocampus to some degree in those severely depressed. I hardly think this is a good thing in the brain overall.

I agree that we cannot extrapolate and say that the increased risk of dementia in those treated with SSRIs is due to the drugs. Just being depressed already leads to dementia anyway, as depression leads to massive inflammation in the brain, high cortisol and probably damages the brain more than any antidepressant. So, the cost-benefit of severely depressed people taking antidepressants pays off even though they kill brain cells. But still, you cannot rule out that SSRIs and other antidepressants contribute to early loss of grey matter. The MRIs and CT scans of people that have been on SSRIs and TCA for many years and have been free from depression show increased spaces between lobes and other signs of atrophy.

While both the SSRIs and TCA probably kill brain cells, the TCAs are even worse since they are anticholergics. Anticholinergics cause Olney's lesions to many structures of the brain by antagonizing NMDA receptors.

Again, you have failed to post a single study demonstrating that the SSRIs in clinical doses does not lead to neuron apoptosis. It is impossible to hav e clinical data on this as demonstrating a causal relation from in vivo brain tissue is impossible. Ex vivo in cell lines is a reasonalbe extrapolation of what goes on in the brain. Can you prove otherwise?

Once again you link the cancer cell line study and now a liver cell study, you're not showing any appreciable apoptosis in neuronal cell lines, much less that this has meaningful in vivo implications

The title of one paper you linked
"Sertraline, an Antidepressant, Induces Apoptosis in Hepatic CellsThrough the Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Pathway"

I just posted evidence that TCAs actually lead to decreased risk of neurodegenerative disease earlier, so I don't know why you're claiming TCAs are worse. Also, anticholinergics are not causing their deleterious effects on the brain through NMDA antagonism/olney's lesions, and olney's lesions are very unlikely to occur in humans.

The issue at hand for you is not whether or not SSRIs lead to apoptosis of neurons in vivo, but rather whether they can cause adverse effects (why would you limit the adverse effects of psychiatric meds to apoptosis?)

The other issue is the actual pathology of depression and neuropsychiatric disease from which you suffer - don't tunnel vision on apoptosis. Especially not SSRI induced apoptosis in cancer/hepatic/yeast cell lines.

Also, the burden of proof is not on me here, you're the one making the truth claim (that SSRIs cause appreciable apoptosis)

Rumination is a big part of depression that is both a symptom and a causal factor. Try mindfulness to stay in the present, learn mindfulness through an app like Headspace.