Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Exactly how strict are the drug laws in Qld

apolloraver

Greenlighter
I read about how strict the drug laws are in Qld but really how much stricter are they to the rest of Australia?

Most states in Australia are pretty bad.....

Are they more strict in every way like busts/raids, looking for drugs on the street, people importing them?

Also the length of conviction and min sentence?

Last edited:
That's a pretty broad question you are asking there.

They aren't that strict; we have drug diversion here for possession charges, and I have met people who have received drug diversion multiple times even though the police will say you can only pull that card once. It is up to the discretion of the police officer whether they offer drug diversion or not, though it is mandatory to give drug diversion to minors.

Here is the Drug Misuse And Trafficking Act 1985 - Schedule 1

Drug Misuse Act 1986 - Unlike the previous link does not tell you amounts for possession and trafficking but sets out penalties and other interesting information regarding the law in QLD.

AussieLegal - Drugs and the law in QLD

I have done the cannabis education program, and it was actually pretty cool.
The guy I had explained to me the FACTS, but I had to watch a 90's shit video, but he told me all of the real stuff that we see here on the internet, he just explained it was illegal so I shouldn't, in the end :p

Anyways, I don't know much about the law, but I think it's OK from my point of view, I heard somewhere that San Pedro was illegal to grow, not sure though, I know many who do.

Of course, the whole of Austalia, import and export is a whole different ball game.

^ I think San Pedro is legal to cultivate. Obviously it's illegal to extract and possess the mescaline in the plant.

I had a friend who received a drug diversion for possession of an Ecstasy tablet. His experience was similar, though with less actual facts. He mostly just went along with it so that it would go smoothly and he could get out of there.

I read about how strict the drug laws are in Qld but really how much stricter are they to the rest of Australia?

Not very, mifren...

Most states in Australia are pretty bad.....
National drug laws override state drug laws.

Are they more strict in every way like busts/raids, looking for drugs on the street, people importing them?
Strict isn't the right use of your vocabulary brother. Victoria has a large number of drug raids. Not really when it comes down to looking for drugs on the street but you never know who's an undercover (yes, you do) on a night on the town. The AFP mostly deals with intelligence connected to drug importation and traffic of controlled drugs

Also the length of conviction and min sentence?
The majority of drug offenses are pretty lenient. I know a friend of a friend who committed prescription fraud...Got 2 counts of fraud/2 counts of theft and he also contravened a requirement, and got off with a Good Behaviour Bond.

I can't really answer your question(s) there buddy boy. It's a very broad question.
Blondey and I, born and raised in Queensland, know a fair bit about the legal system in Queensland.

On a bit of a tangent I found the drug services in Qld pretty poor. I wasn't able to get my prescriptions of naltrexone and baclofen continued (for alcoholism/opiate use), and the drug services there seem to cater for alcohol, tobacco and weed almost exclusively. I was told if I wanted to do a detox from anything apart from those 3 I'd need to go to Brisbane. Opiate maintenance doctors are also few and far between, at least when you get out of Brisbane. Overall I found the system there to have the most backwards view of addiction of any state I've lived in, and the drug service I went to agreed.

Yeah, any place outside of Brisbane is backwards...in Queensland state only. It ain't like Victoria, where you've got Geeloong and Melbourne on like 2 opposite sides...