Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Evil Dead (2013)

His Name Is Frank

Bluelight Crew
evil_dead_poster.jpg

Is anyone else looking forward to this movie? When I first heard about it being made, I was like many others. Sacrilege, I thought! How dare they attempt to remake Evil Dead. However, I'm hearing and reading nothing but good things about this one. I'm definitely checking it out when it hits theaters on April 5th.

^Yeah, I felt the same way at first too. But I read a little bit about it in a film magazine I bought on a whim and it sounds promising.

I'm glad to see you're still here, tribal girl! And yes, if the Bruce backs it, (not to mention Raimi) then I'm 100% on board. Not sure about the huge claim of "The most terrifying film you will ever experience.", but whatever helps to get the butts in the seats.

Its supposed to be made by the same guys who did the original. Obviously they didn't have this kind of technology in the 80s and want to redo it because of the great money making opportunity.

ignoring the content of the text and the social media icons, that's a badass film poster.

Last edited:
if youre looking for a remake forget it

if youre looking for a horror movie go for it

I went for it. But went in and went pshhhhh remake. I was not expecting much. But man if you like horror movies, youll enjoy this, esp the end (or when you see the dope scene)

I just went and saw it today, too. Definitely gets a thumbs up from me (in honor of our fallen Ebert) if only for the fact that it mostly relied on practical effects over CGI and didn't throw jump scares at you every five minutes. I'm looking at you, nearly every horror movie made in the past decade! Cut that jump scare shit out. All it does is make the teenage girls in the audience scream, which in turn makes a lot of the other people in the audience laugh at said screamer. It's very annoying.

There was plenty of gore for the splatter fans and slicing and dicing for the slasher fans. The Cabin In The Woods has made it to where I can never watch a movie like this the same way again. Every time a character would do something stupid, I kept thinking of management pulling levers and gassing them or using subliminal suggestions. That's the only reason I can think for Lou Taylor Pucci's character (looking a lot like Jared Leto in this) to have read from the book or for them to stay in the cabin after
NSFW:
finding a bunch of dead animals hanging from the basement ceiling. Seriously. Would anyone here stay in a cabin after finding Leatherface's playroom underneath their feet or read from a satanic book wrapped in barbed wire?
That's pretty much my only complaint, other than two of the characters being reduced to glorified extras. I don't even recall the blonde girl's name being mentioned once.

It was very well made and paid homage to a few scenes from Evil Dead 1 and 2, as well as Pulp Fiction, for some odd reason. I guess the director is a fan, but then again, who isn't? One more minor complaint.
NSFW:
I knew there was a scene afterwards involving Bruce Campbell. Only it wasn't even a scene. It was a shot of his head, most shrouded by darkness, turning to the camera and saying, "Groovy." As serious as the film portrayed itself for its hour and a half running time, this just seemed out of place and reeked of fan service. As if to say, hey sorry we didn't have Bruce Campbell anywhere in the movie. Here's a shot of him saying a catchphrase! You're welcome! No, Evil Dead. That's not how it works. Either work him into the movie somewhere or leave him out completely. I don't know. I guess I was just disappointed because I thought they would have an actual setup for Ash at the end. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

It is the only film in a long time I will pay to go to the cinema and see. It looks AMAZING. I have an unhealthy attachment to Bruce Campbell (I am getting Deadite tattoos on my calves) but I think theyve done a good job on this one. Cant wait !

didn't throw jump scares at you every five minutes. I'm looking at you, nearly every horror movie made in the past decade! Cut that jump scare shit out.

Jump scares get me but i like to be afraid, like PA movies.

r Lou Taylor Pucci's character (looking a lot like Jared Leto in this) to have read from the book or for them to stay in the cabin after

I had the same thoughts when there were closeups of his face

I don't even recall the blonde girl's name being mentioned once.

NSFW:
after they stop her killing them with the nailgun they say her name, thats all i remember

NSFW:
I wouldve taken the book and even if i didnt read out of there i wouldve at home so every would be fucked lol. But i really liked the ending man, esp when the blood rain start I went awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shit

Cabin in the Woods was a great movie and I don't think you can really watch a movie that features that meme/cliche or whatever after you watch it.

I tried watching the original Evil Dead and while really well made for a cheap, indie, cult movie - its basically the first and best movie of the cabin genre - I lost interest. The plot basically forces the audience to suspend disbelief from the very beginning. The more I think about the movie itself that its basically a platform for ~60 minutes of artificial gore, the more difficulty I get of being in that frame of mind of spending $10 to go see it. I still might go and watch it. There's just not a real big reason to.

theres a bunch of crappy cams up if you dont wanna spend the ten dollars

This movie fucking SUCKED! Saw it with my friend christina on friday fucking predictable, horrible, horrible SHIT!

when i see a movie marketed as "the most terrifying film you will ever experience" my first thought is "this probably won't be the most terrifying film i will ever experience"

alasdair

This movie fucking SUCKED! Saw it with my friend christina on friday fucking predictable, horrible, horrible SHIT!

Did you go into this expecting a movie full of suspense and intrigue, by any chance? You did watch the trailer before seeing it, right? If you went in expecting anything more than blood and gore, then I'm afraid that the fault lies with you and possibly Christina.

when i see a movie marketed as "the most terrifying film you will ever experience" my first thought is "this probably won't be the most terrifying film i will ever experience"

^This.

Am I the only one here who feels it took some audacity to do an Evil Dead remake only a year after the release of Cabin in the Woods? Fucked da trope.

^ Well, this remake has been in production awhile now. I doubt they anticipated they'd be releasing it so soon after another film which took so much...erm..."inspiration" from the original Evil Dead.

Well they fucking shoulda known!

But yeah, while Cabin.... had nods to a lot of horror films, its primary template seemed to be Evil Dead.