• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Ever Ignore A Parent?

I didn't just ignore my parents, I moved across the country to be completely away from them. That's how badly I needed a hard boundary. That was years ago and our relationship is much better now.

When we weren't talking, I really found myself, processed a lot of trauma, and found new "chosen family" that made me feel more appreciated. It wasn't easy because I was really young and didn't have a lot of support, but I muddled through. My parents still trigger me to this day, but I have developed a much better inner way of being that helps me to deal with them.
I needed to hear that. I feel intuitively, even before reading this post, that there is a connection between me distancing myself from my dad and me growing into the person I want to be.
Now the reverse has kind of happened. I was so far away from all of my heritage and ancestry that I started to feel rootless. I also got really ill and that called back in family. My near death brushes with illness really made us fix all our priorities. Now I wish I lived closer to them, but I don't!
I've been sick ever since I got angry at my dad (he got sick as well), but being with him makes me just as sick. I think ultimately sickness is related to how we deal with stressors, not the stressors themselves.

I needed to hear that. I feel intuitively, even before reading this post, that there is a connection between me distancing myself from my dad and me growing into the person I want to be.

Reminds me of this quote:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
.” - T.S. Eliot

In my case, time apart, going through my own struggles independently, and having many different kinds of relationships over the years, gave me a better appreciation for my parents. There is a parent-child gaze that you get locked into where your parents are kind of like the gods in your life, and that gaze doesn't break until you live a lot more adult life and begin to see your parents as people who are also products of their own environment, just as you are. You might understand that logically right now, but an overly attached familial connection makes it hard to really embody. So you easily slip into unconscious patterns with them, despite a strong desire to change.

Only healthy time apart and working out your own life on your terms can really remedy that, especially if your parents show no sign of changing. You get to decide what that looks like. It could mean cutting them out completely, or just having a lot more separation time between contacts; or it could mean talking by phone once in a while rather than seeing them; or seeing them infrequently. I mean, you get to decide.

I've been sick ever since I got angry at my dad (he got sick as well), but being with him makes me just as sick. I think ultimately sickness is related to how we deal with stressors, not the stressors themselves.

Illness due to a relationship is a sign of extreme resistance. Even people with the best coping mechanisms can eventually break down in unhealthy relationships. The resiliency people build to deal with toxicity can't erase the toxicity, it can only provide temporary coping strategies until you are able to remove yourself, or the source of toxicity changes. Those are really the only two options -- and that's even after you have had time to develop your tool set. Even with that tool set, if the other person won't meet you half way then you will eventually be dragged through the mud as long as you keep trying in vain.

There are lots of people out there who disown their parents forever. There are also lots of people whose parental relationship changes for the better. Only time tells. I wouldn't assume anything about the future, but just focus on what is needed now.

I
Fine, ultimately. I did hear that there was a kind of switching pattern in my dad's side of the family, though. My grandpa hated his dad, who loved his dad, who hated his dad, etc.

That's a good point. I never thought of that.
Incredibly familiar to me. So many people ha e “daddy issues”. Everyone needs both male and female on those ends in respect to anything there or other, many ways right?

I do feel like I'm in a better place than my father.

I already have been doing unexpected nice things for him. I showed him some music I've been working on, and he appreciated it. Then he went back to mourning my lack of contact with him.

I have already entertained the viewpoint that he needs my help. It helped for a while--it helped me come from a place of generosity. But honestly, it doesn't help the big picture. It's like he eats it up and then things are still the same.

And what's annoying is he thinks I'm ignoring him because I'M miserable. I'm fine--interacting with him is what makes me miserable. I mean, I'm not without my problems, but talking to him about any of them never seems to help anything. There always seems to be this power dynamic between us, like he's the master, teaching me the ways, whenever I talk about anything important in my life. I'm sick of that. He's really not the master--I struggle to look up to him.
Hi RhythmSpring, there is no easy answer to your relationship. The couple of things I have picked up on, was you said your dad has low self esteem, and was prone to bouts of flaring up, and also hiding away. I am Bi-Polar with emotional personality disorder. these all sound quite familiar go me. I am on antidepressants and mood stabiliser's + Pregabalin. Although I have not had a problem with the relationship with my children (probably because I divorced their mum) now they have grown up I have always let them make their own choices, and be their own people. If they ask for advice I will tell them truthfully what I think and the do what they want with the advice. I had some issues with my Dad because he was born in 1915 and had a totally different view of the world. I joined the Armed forces so we missed that period when it could of got bad 19-25. I hope this makes some sense, and I wish you all the very best for the future Take care.

I'm 32, and I've been at it trying to fix it since I was 18,
I'm 33 and I have been going through the same thing with my dad since I was 21.
He's passive aggressive, he doesn't listen, he takes everything personally and when I don't speak to him, he tries to agitate or sweettalk me.
But he's also an alcoholic, the occasional junkie and always violent while inebriated. I'm so done with him.

I cut out my mom from my life when I was 20, but for different reasons. Just because someone is family doesn't mean they can act however they want.
Keeping someone around that makes you feel bad because you're bonded by blood is a terrible idea.

If it wasn't your dad but just a friend, what would you do?
The fact that he raised you means nothing in the grand scheme of things. That was his choice.
This is yours.

I am reminded of this verse by Kahlil Gibran:

On Children​

Kahlil Gibran - 1883-1931

And a woman who held a babe against her bosom said, Speak to us of Children.
And he said:
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

As a father, that makes me sad.
Sorry birdup, that was not my intention. I'm sure you're a better father than mine was.

What I meant was, doing the bare minimum as a parent (food, shelter, nurture, love) doesn't give you the right to be physically and mentally abusive.
It obviously mean a lot to me that my parents provided for and took care about me when I was younger, but my mother lied about having cancer (among other things) and my dad has come at me with a machete - to me it doesn't matter that they are bonded to me by blood anymore.

If that makes sense?

In short, my dad is extremely unpleasant to deal with. He isn't overtly aggressive (well, not anymore, and those were just a few spurts), but he just ...doesn't get me. He doesn't seem to actually listen to what I'm saying. I've told him things he's forgotten 5 minutes later (no, he's not senile). He pretends to listen, something I've gotten good at too, unfortunately. But I digress. He used to be super passive-aggressive, and that passive aggression has just kind of been buried deeper and deeper into the ground. You can't see it or hear it, but you can definitely feel it.

Just in the little things he says and does, it's clear to me that his mental framework is too small to actually get me. I've accepted that, but he doesn't seem to. I say things like "You wouldn't understand," and he takes personal offense at it. He's projected his low self-esteem onto me, which I don't blame him for, I understand it, I have compassion for it, but I'm done with it. I'm done with doing the emotional labor for our relationship. I'm tired. I've tried so many things. Brick wall.

So I've stopped talking to him. It's exhausting, like quicksand to engage with him. And of course, he responds to the silence by trying to appeal to my sense of obligation, then pity. I feel like whatever I say to him will be interpreted the wrong way, so I don't say anything. I don't plan on being silent forever--only until there arises an opportunity for us to speak the same language, for us to actually get somewhere with some kind of communication. Otherwise it feels completely useless and a waste of time and energy.

Has anyone else gone through this? I don't hear of it too often, but a little. I wish there was another way. I am rarely the kind of person to "ghost" someone. I prize communication as an extremely important part of my life. I aim to be clear with everyone. But with some people, it's impossible. And unfortunately, one of those people is my dad.
Yes my father.But he ignores me first.with his next marriage and children.Loose contact for a months and later understood that he was passed.That was grief,sadness and some remorse.Hope he forgive me.May rest in peace

Yes my father.But he ignores me first.with his next marriage and children.Loose contact for a months and later understood that he was passed.That was grief,sadness and some remorse.Hope he forgive me.May rest in peace
I'm sorry to hear that. Was it a surprise that he had passed, or was it something that could have been foreseen?

@Op I can totally relate to what you're saying and going through!

I'd say distance yourself from him now and then. Take breaks, for the sake of your own sanity. Some things will just never change or work, you just gotta accept that and move on with your life.

When my mom had semi-advanced Lewy Body Dementia, and my older sister said it was important that we still take her places to stimulate her mind, there were times she behaved terribly. I would get her, from wherever she'd wandered to, and she'd tell me to leave her (and my daughter, who she called by my name, as she believed she was me) alone, and that I was a strange women she didn't want to know. She'd refuse to get in my car, she'd call me weird, all sorts of stuff. But then the advanced stage set in. She turned nice and childlike. I quit my job to spend time with her. I'm glad I did.

When my dad was super-wasted, he'd call me at work and simply yell into the phone, "Buy me Vodka!" and hang up. Most days I stopped by to check on him and see what was up. Much of the time, there was barf and broken dishes and glasses on the floor, as there was when I was a little girl. It had been my responsibility to clean up after him as a kid, from age 6, as my mom was always on a business trip, and I did it until he committed suicide at age 71. Most of the time I could handle it, but a good 30% of the time he was naked, sitting in his filth, and I never grew up enough to deal well with that.

@Fiori di Bella Wow. Thanks for sharing. So much. I'm just taking it in, I don't have much to say at the moment. It definitely puts things in perspective.
No, it honestly doesn't put my truth in perspective. I've misrepresented some facts, with the exception of the ffact that my mom lived with me for a few weeks affter I gave birth, I honestly don't have much nice to say about her. My parents had an open marriage. My father, was a poly-addicted gay psychiatrist, and I loved him more than I've loved anyone ever in life. My mom was a psychologist who was gone 3+ weeks of each month.

I've been a wreck since his suicide, and I'm the kind of girl who is much more comfortable dating and caring for addicts, and I have no desire to stop vaping, drinking or using Oxys. I recognize this as unhealthy, but a fun and preferred pattern, and so this is my truth.

90 minutes or so ago, the dad of my 3 older half siblings died. I was with my half sister when she got the call. Instead of seeming sad, she seemed angry, telling me that I was so perfect and loved by my dad, and she was never good enough, according to her dad.

I asked if she wanted to talk about it, and she was super annoyed, and seemed to act like I was the last person she'd want to talk to. I didn't mention to her that I was there to lend my artistry to decorate cookies she serves at a formal holiday party each year that Ive never been invited to, that other family members attend. I'm not going to confront her, because she's 17 years older than I am. I just told her I'd get out of her hair and left, while I had a few private tears on my drive home.

Stay strong, Fiori! You've been through so much and really seem to have your shit together considering! 🙂