Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

EU -Menthol cigarettes and packs of 10 to be outlawed

edgarshade

Bluelighter
Metro

Tuesday 8 Oct 2013 10:52 pm

With reader comments

Menthol cigarettes, ten packs and small rolling tobacco pouches are to be outlawed. Bigger health warnings on packets and a ban on descriptions such as ‘light’, ‘mild’ and ‘low tar’ will also be introduced. There will also be new limits on advertising for electronic cigarettes although they will not be regulated as medicines. The clampdown was agreed by MEPs today and should be written into law next year. The decision was welcomed by anti-smoking campaigners who say it will save thousands of lives.

But Angela Harbutt, head of campaigns at pro-smoking group Forest, said: ‘This is prohibition. Menthols have been smoked by adults for decades who will now turn to the black market costing the treasury millions and putting smokers at risk.’ very year 700,000 people in Europe die of smoking-related disease. The vote clears the way for a European Union directive to be finalised next year. It is likely to take another two years to be imposed in the 28 member countries. It will lead to a ban on menthol cigarettes by 2022 and mean that 65 per cent of each cigarette pack has to be covered in gory images such as the inside of a cancer-riddled lung.

Menthol cigarettes have been targeted because studies show they appeal to younger smokers. The decision on e-cigarettes was widely welcomed as an attempt to ensure they remain readily available to those trying to quit. Expert Prof Peter Hajek said: ‘Current research indicates that the risks to health from using e-cigarettes are minimal.’

But UKIP MEP Paul Nuttall said: ‘This EU tobacco directive defies logic, even the EU’s twisted logic. Banning packs of ten will not stop people smoking, it will just make them buy more cigarettes and make them poorer.’

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/08/menthol-cigarettes-and-packs-of-10-to-be-outlawed-4139732/

What the hell?
What kind of logic is that for banning the 10 packs? This is completely ridiculous.

in australia the minimum amount of cigs we can get is a 20 pack or 20 grams

the idea (im guessing) is kids are poor or dont want that many cigs, so its less likely they will fall into their hands if its more expensive

honestly i wish u could buy 1 cigarette by itself

we still have menthols tho, idk why they dont like menthols, its a positive thing imo, ppl who can consistently smoke menthols are fkd in the head

Menthol cigarettes have been targeted because studies show they appeal to younger smokers.

these are some fucked up younger smokers

also, black market menthol cigs? lmfao. youre gonna see people selling dippers they soaked in breath freshener.

I've never met anyone who starts smoking menthols, I regularly get some abuse for smoking them, theres not much appeal, plus who says 'oooh menthol I'll just start smoking now then'? The gorey pictures already on cigarettes havent stopped anyone, I dont even notice them anymore. Also, why ban displaying the type of smoke? If its a 'light' one then why would you not tell people that? Then theres the ban on 10 packs, thats a good idea, for getting people to smoke more... I know I do when I have 20.

I've never met anyone who starts smoking menthols, I regularly get some abuse for smoking them, theres not much appeal, plus who says 'oooh menthol I'll just start smoking now then'? The gorey pictures already on cigarettes havent stopped anyone, I dont even notice them anymore. Also, why ban displaying the type of smoke? If its a 'light' one then why would you not tell people that? Then theres the ban on 10 packs, thats a good idea, for getting people to smoke more... I know I do when I have 20.

Exactly, it's part of the reason I don't buy large numbers at a time, my addiction will just consume it faster. Sigh...

think i only ever used mentol to skin up with when a teen that and cherry tobacco but never could see myself smoking them everyday cnt remember if this is right but the was a rumor that they made you sterile impotent that was going round back then

in australia the minimum amount of cigs we can get is a 20 pack or 20 grams

the idea (im guessing) is kids are poor or dont want that many cigs, so its less likely they will fall into their hands if its more expensive

honestly i wish u could buy 1 cigarette by itself

we still have menthols tho, idk why they dont like menthols, its a positive thing imo, ppl who can consistently smoke menthols are fkd in the head

Myeah, I used to live in France where you can only get packs of 20, and the only difference that made compared to now that I'm in the UK and I can get packs of 10, is that it used to make me smoke more :|
Annoyed at this.

I agree banning ten packs seems stupid to me, I can see where ten packs would cause people to smoke less as they stretch their pack out over a day or whatever compared to if the same person had a twenty pack they might just smoke 'em til they're gone.

Tobacco really is the shittest drug ever, I say this as a smoker, still though I am incredibly sick of this never ending war on smokers they don't even really want to fucking quit or they would just ban it like everything else. Where I live the price of a packet of cigarettes has gotten so crazy, and every year they just add more and more tax, at a certain point it is not a deterrent it is just greedy fucks taking what they can, despite the fact that heavy smokers frequently fall into lower socio economic status. They have plain packets, it has gotten so ridiculous that down near the filter where it used to have the name of the cigarette brand written there is just random fucking codes, it is political correctness and an overzealous campaign against smokers gone mad I say!

Banning menthols is ridiculous as well, I have always disliked menthols but I feel bad for anyone who is partial to them. It really is a completely different taste and sensation, I can see how menthol smokers would not be satisfied by a normal ciggie the way menthols do not satisfy me and I don't feel that is fair. I knew less people who smoked menthols when I was in High School than I do now, that is anecdotal and not really indicative of anything but I would honestly bet that kids do not find menthols more attractive. If anything I see the opposite, atleast at my High School, people tended to smoke the strongest cigarettes as possible and there was a bit of dicksizing about the whole thing, not in a major way just immature sort of competing. I remember when people would bring fat cigars up the smokers area and people would take turns inhaling as big of a hit as they could, even though cigars aren't meant to be inhaled, was really so immature and pathetic in retrospect but I guess that is High School for you. My point is, younger kids tend to see smoking as rebellious and bad ass and shit like flavoured tobacco and menthol cigarettes I think fits that category a little less than stronger flavoured tobacco.

The 10 pack ban seems rather stupid as it might have been used by smokers possibly trying to taper, so to speak.

As for the Menthol flavor cigs, back when I used to smoke regularly for about 11 years, I can count with one hand the number of friends/acquaintances who smoked Menthols. We all hated them. To each his/her own though.

Personally, I really miss the fruit-flavored cigarillos that I used to be able to buy at convenience stores in the area. Think they're banned now as well.

Anyone else from southern Ontario still buy their smokes from an Indian reserve because of the price? Hehe, I miss those days. They aren't exactly premium, but still... =D

also, black market menthol cigs? lmfao. youre gonna see people selling dippers they soaked in breath freshener.
We already have quite a lot of black market tobacco, either smuggled or counterfeit, in the EU, so it's not completely unthinkable, although perhaps a little silly.

Wow this is retarded. The war on drugs isn't working, so let's just keep banning shit and keep prohibition alive!

You know what's funny? Vanderbilt Medical Center research dept did a study on menthol v regular cigs, and it turned out that compared to a non-smoker, your chances of getting lung cancer smoking menthols was 13 times higher than a non smoker. Smoking regular cigs your chances of getting lung cancer are 22 times higher. So menthols are actually less bad out of the two.

Governments have to be the dumbest facilities ever. They always think they're right and never bother to check facts and sources because THEY KNOW THEY"RE RIGHT

I was talking to my local corner shopkeeper a while back (NW england) and found out that she makes just two pence on a pack of 20, the grower of the tobacco itself gets 4 pence as their cut, and the government steals the rest.

Thing is, shopkeepers CAN'T just stop carrying smokes altogether, or she would have done by now, it just not being financially viable to carry on. But if she were to do that, nobody would come, and they wouldn't be able to carry on trading. That happened recently to another corner shop a few minutes from me. Stopped carrying tobacco products, and not long after just went out of business altogether.

A new route for the Russian mafias, smuggling tobacco products.

I was talking to my local corner shopkeeper a while back (NW england) and found out that she makes just two pence on a pack of 20, the grower of the tobacco itself gets 4 pence as their cut, and the government steals the rest.

That's an exaggeration. Shopkeepers get about 50p on a pack of 20 costing around 7-8 pounds. (US translation about 80c on a pack costing 12-13 dollars). The government tax is enormous and last time I heard the revenue raised actually paid the health costs of smokers to the nation and then some.