• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos etizolam- less likely to cause tolerance and dependence?

JM357

Bluelighter
According to the wikipedia article it is claimed that etizolam causes less of an increase in tolerance and is less likely to cause dependence than classic benzos:

"In a study that compared the effectiveness of etizolam, alprazolam, and bromazepam for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder, all three drugs retained their effectiveness over 2 weeks, but etizolam became more effective from 2 weeks to 4 weeks, a type of reverse tolerance.[11] Administering .5 mg etizolam twice daily did not induce cognitive deficits over 3 weeks when compared to placebo.[12]

When multiple doses of etizolam, or lorazepam, were administered to rat neurons, lorazepam caused downregulation of alpha-1 benzodiazepine binding sites (tolerance/dependence), while etizolam caused an increase in alpha-2 benzodiazepine binding sites (reverse tolerance to anti-anxiety effects).[13] Tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of lorazepam were observed, but no significant tolerance to the anticonvulsant effects of etizolam were observed.[13] Etizolam therefore has a reduced liability to induce tolerance, and dependence, compared with classic benzodiazepines.[13]"

what do you think? I've never tried it and therefore can't speak from personal experience. Also, I would say that even if this is true one should be very careful- there isn't a study saying it CAN'T cause dependence, it does have a short half-life, and thinking it is less likely to cause these problems may cause more reckless use which would therefore lead to a greater risk.

personally i found it more addictive than alprazolam. and with less good effects. i used it for a while, then tapered down, exactly as i had done with alprazolam many times.. but experienced some pretty weird withdrawls for a few days.. nothing major but i hadnt been using it long.. and it was quite unexpected because i had done the same with alprazolam with no issues..

Neuroleptic malignant syndrome?

personally i found it more addictive than alprazolam. and with less good effects. i used it for a while, then tapered down, exactly as i had done with alprazolam many times.. but experienced some pretty weird withdrawls for a few days.. nothing major but i hadnt been using it long.. and it was quite unexpected because i had done the same with alprazolam with no issues..

Could it have been neuroleptic malignant syndrome related? That is a WD effect related specifically to etizolam (not sure how many people experience it) and maybe other theodiazepines (not sure about that one- just thinking etizolam, being prescribed some places, is the only theodiazepine that has probably been studied a lot that I know of). I think it is more they are claiming it would take more to become dependent rather than the WD being less severe...:

From my experience it is on the same level as normal benzos with short half-lifes. I would definitely not take this as an excuse to use Etizolam daily.
Actually people who are dependent on it seem to develop very high tolerances towards Etizolam (for example taking more than 10mg a day).

Also it has more recreational potential than classic Benzos and only a very short duration.

From my experience the addiction potential is huge and the withdrawals are worse than anything I've ever experienced before. I still take them recreationally but limit it to a an absolute MAX of 1 weeks use of between 4 - 10 mgs a day.

Etizolam is far by worst when it came to withdrawing, I had full on seizures. Not a drug to mess with for sure. & it basically ruined my life --partially. I'm on a nice dose of temazepam and it's good. Just talk to your doctor, and get a script. It's a process, but it's worth it to go through it and get it legally.

Etizolam is far by worst when it came to withdrawing, I had full on seizures. Not a drug to mess with for sure. & it basically ruined my life --partially. I'm on a nice dose of temazepam and it's good. Just talk to your doctor, and get a script. It's a process, but it's worth it to go through it and get it legally.

Can I ask how much you took and for how long?