• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Etizolam - half life, active metabolites and detection of use

Dextro .45

Bluelighter
Greetings all,

So I wanted to discuss a few issues with Etizolam regarding its pharmalogical profile, specifically its half life, any relevant DDI, it’s active metabolite (alpha-hydroxyetizolam), and its detection of use/drug clearance/route of elimination, etc.

A reason for my interest is that I have been using Etizolam responsibly at low therapeutic doses for the last three years and am stable on long term Methadone 80mg for chronic pain due to a medical condition. Methadone is mostly metabolized by the liver enzyme CYP3A4 to the inactive metabolite EDDP. Interestingly, CYP3A4 is the enzyme responsible for metabolizing Etizolam as well...

After steady state administration of Etizolam 0.5mg nightly (three times a week) for several months, benzodiazepines were detected in my pee test at the clinic AFTER stopping all Etizolam & benzos for a solid 2 weeks. Wow I thought...there are still levels of detectable alpha-hydroxyetizolam in my urine after 2 weeks of abstinence. Talk about slow clearance....

Following a single Etizolam 0.5mg dose the half life is 3.4 h but may be increased up to 17 hours depending on the rate of metabolism. The main metabolite alpha-hydroxyetizolam has a longer elimination half-life of 8.2 h and demonstrates the same anxiolytic profile in animal models.

So, perhaps because of the extremely long half-life of Methadone, and the same CYP3A4 enzyme for Etizolam is busy metabolizing the Methadone .....more alpha-hydroxyetizolam is present for much longer?

Taking the thienotriazolodiazepine derivative Etizolam WILL show up as a benzo on a 5 panel drug test, no doubt...and will/can/might be detectable for many days up to 2 weeks at long term, steady state, low dose administration.

weird that you failed for benzos with etizolam. my methadone clinic doesnt seem to detect etizolam as a benzo. also i went into the hospital recently and had been using etizolam instead of my prescribed clonazepam for about a month. the hospital was puzzled as to why i had no benzos in my urine despite the clonazepam Rx and my obvious physical dependency on diazepines

Wow, really? I was under the impression that the drug testing / 5 panel test will react to a diazepine ring group, regardless if the molecule features a benzene ring or a thiophene ring, Etizolam still features a diazepine ring.

I’m shocked that this didn’t show up at your clinic, also at a hospital which also tested you for chemical substances....

Both interesting and strange...hmm ???

Wow, really? I was under the impression that the drug testing / 5 panel test will react to a diazepine ring group, regardless if the molecule features a benzene ring or a thiophene ring, Etizolam still features a diazepine ring.

I’m shocked that this didn’t show up at your clinic, also at a hospital which also tested you for chemical substances....

Both interesting and strange...hmm ???
One of my closest friends is on methadone and certainly dabbles in etizolam and he's never failed a drug test either. I dont think etizolam should show up in a benzo screening test.
Perhaps you just got a false positive on your test?

How is etizolam? Worth trying? Is it overwhelming like other benzos can be?

I'm worried about purchasing it as I don't want a strange suited man from the CIA to arrive at my doorstep and then I'll have to make up some excuse. "It's for my etizolam christmas wreath I swear."

Etizolam is probably the best anxiolytic on the market....regarding speed of onset, safety profile, tolerance/addiction liability, subunit selectivity, etc.

Many compare it to a less sedating version of Alprazolam (Xanax). With Etizolam you’re more mentally alert (less cognitive impairment) and it’s potent & rapid acting also displaying antidepressants properties (as well as Alprazolam)

It’s a valuable tool to have in your inventory...

1mg of Etizolam is equal to approximately 0.5mg of Alprazolam, also kicks in faster and no groggy after effects day after. Often it has a pleasant afterglow the next day with Etizolam, perhaps it’s antidepressant effects.

I have both Alprazolam & Etizolam and I can honestly say I prefer Etizolam 0.5mg as a rapid acting potent anxiolytic.

weird that you failed for benzos with etizolam. my methadone clinic doesnt seem to detect etizolam as a benzo. also i went into the hospital recently and had been using etizolam instead of my prescribed clonazepam for about a month. the hospital was puzzled as to why i had no benzos in my urine despite the clonazepam Rx and my obvious physical dependency on diazepines

I did the same last year and my methadone doctor asked why I wasn't taking my prescribed clonazepam. I just played dumb and said I threw up a couple days in a row

Etizolam STILL features a Diazepine ring / group ....it just has had the benzene ring substituted for a thiophene ring

And I have been testing positive for benzos bi weekly for over a year lol.

....are you all taking sealed pharmaceutical Etizolam tablets and testing negative for benzos???

I am taking Etizolam powder ....could it be mixed with a benzodiazepine? Lol I doubt it, but have no way of knowing for certain. I have also went through my second batch, years apart, certainly from another batch/order, and still testing positive for benzos

F@ck ....to be perfectly honest a few weeks ago I tested positive for Fentyl ....Wtf I thought....how is this possible? I did take a few peach footballs that looked weird (falling apart a bit) could have been pressed cut with fentanyl. The person at the clinic told me the test strip things are not completely accurate and brushed it off....but I dunno

Unless you have legit sealed pharmaceutical Etizolam HCL and nothing else....and testing Negative for benzos? Please be honest.

Ive heard other people say too, that they tested positive for benzos off Etizolam.

I would assume it would because Etizolam features a benzodiazepine “backbone” ....a diazepine ring substituted with a thiophene ring instead of a benzene ring.

Hmmmm....?

....and not to get off track too much here, but I abstained from Etizolam for 2 weeks (no other benzo either) and there was still active metabolites in my urine for a positive test on benzo

I am on Methadone, so might this be slowing the clearance of Etizolam from my system? Both substances being metabolized by the same liver enzymes

Does long term, steady state dosing of low dose Etizolam / benzo stay in your system for weeks? It’s probably out of your system in 3-7 days in general for low, sporadic dosing ....but steady state long term dosing? I dunno....

I wish I would conduct a blind controlled experiment, with two clean subjects, pharma Etizolam, raw powder Etizolam and lab grade analysis lol...jeez

I for the record use pure etizolam powder thats produced by a certain reptilian minded group......So im fairly confident i am recieving etizolam. I typically dissolve 100 mg in 5 mg of alcohol to make a 20 mg/ml solution and use a micro pipette to drop 0.1 ml onto a sweet tart candy and allow the alcohol to evaporate leaving me with candies dosed at 2 mg ( give or take 100-200 micrograms in either direction maybe) they seem quite uniform.

my routine was 4 mg in the morning, 2 mg in the afternoon and 4 mg before bed. Im currently in a treatment type center where they switched me over to 2 mg clonazepam in the morning, 1 mg afternoon and 2 mg before bed. it seems to honestly be of equal potency to the etizolam i was taking

Last edited:
Etizolam STILL features a Diazepine ring / group ....it just has had the benzene ring substituted for a thiophene ring

And I have been testing positive for benzos bi weekly for over a year lol.

....are you all taking sealed pharmaceutical Etizolam tablets and testing negative for benzos???

I am taking Etizolam powder ....could it be mixed with a benzodiazepine? Lol I doubt it, but have no way of knowing for certain. I have also went through my second batch, years apart, certainly from another batch/order, and still testing positive for benzos

F@ck ....to be perfectly honest a few weeks ago I tested positive for Fentyl ....Wtf I thought....how is this possible? I did take a few peach footballs that looked weird (falling apart a bit) could have been pressed cut with fentanyl. The person at the clinic told me the test strip things are not completely accurate and brushed it off....but I dunno

Unless you have legit sealed pharmaceutical Etizolam HCL and nothing else....and testing Negative for benzos? Please be honest.

Ive heard other people say too, that they tested positive for benzos off Etizolam.

I would assume it would because Etizolam features a benzodiazepine “backbone” ....a diazepine ring substituted with a thiophene ring instead of a benzene ring.

Hmmmm....?

Etizolam molecules are different from benzodiazepine due to the benzene ring being replaced with a ring fused from thiophene and triazole. This results in the Etizolam drug being classified as a thienotriazolodiazepine.
You have your rings messed up

Etizolam molecules are different from benzodiazepine due to the benzene ring being replaced with a ring fused from thiophene and triazole. This results in the Etizolam drug being classified as a thienotriazolodiazepine.

Um I'm sorry. Did you just call me a benzene ring? Take it back NOW!!!

Actually--can you translate this for someone not a benzo wizard? I want to understand what you're saying, I really do.

the core structure of a benzodiazepine is a benzene ring fused to a diazepine ring with different substitutions at different positions resulting in different benzos. they can also have a traizole ring, creating triazolobenzodiazepines like alprazolam and Clonazolam. in the case of etizolam the benzene ring has been replaced with a thiophene ring , and a triazole ring on it making it a triazolo version of a thienodiazepine like Kara Kava said.

This makes it an unscheduled substance in a lot of places as it technically is not a benzodiazepine despite acting on the same receptor sites and producing indistinguishable effects. for all intents and purposes its a benzo. but now that these have hit the market the word Diazepines is starting to replace benzodiazepine as there can indeed be different diazepines

Last edited:

Umm.....ya, you’re right what you’re saying, but I don’t think you’re getting the pharmacological science behind my reasoning of what I’m saying. Try to imagine this reasoning for a sec....

yes, the molecules are different with the benzene ring being substituted with a thiophene ring (like I previously pointed out) BUT ......BOTH Etizolam AND Alprazolam (a Thienotriazolodiazepine and a benzotriazoldiazepine) feature a Diazepine core skeletal structure .....and benzodiazepine structure (regardless that Etizolam doesn’t feature a benzene ring)

So when taking a drug test the test trips could be reacting to the substances diazepine ring structure (testing positive) regardless if it features a benzene ring or not.

When I test positive for Methadone.....it’s actually the inactive metabolite EDDP that the test strip is reacting to for a positive result.

Is my reasoning kinda making sense ?

Regardless .....Etizolam is a FULL agonist at the benzodiazepine receptor complex (as a GABA-A agonist & PAM) so it’s 99.99% identical to a benzodiazepine, but even better being highly selective at the a2 subunit which is responsible specifically for its anxiolytic action (anti-anxiety effects) as apposed to the less desirable a1 subunit which is responsible for the sedation, cognitive impairment, and dependency liability...as with benzos like Alprazolam (Xanax)

All solid facts ladies & gentleman

I would think that the Diazepine group is what makes a benzo a benzo (as funny as that sounds lol)

Amphetamines is a great example ....beta-phenylisopropylamine or alpha-methylated phenylethylamine.

the skeletal core structure of amphetamines is its Phenylethylamine skeleton (a Phenyl ring, connected to the terminal Amine, through an Ethyl chain)

Methylphenidate (Ritalin) features the core Phenylethylamine structure

MDMA / Methamphetamine also feature the core Phenylethylamine core structure

Dopamine itself....is 3,4 Dihydroxy Phenylethylamine (as displayed by my user name lol)

Phenmetrazine (Preludin) also features an amphetamine / phenylethylamine core structure substituted with a Morpholine ring...

So, in regards to benzodiazepines.... the Diazepine ring group is most significant group....ATTACHED to a benzene ring (making it a benzo-diazepine) and further fuzing a Triazolo ring as with Alprazolam/Triazolam & Etizolam (thieno)

What the test strip COULD be reacting to....giving me a positive result for Benzo’s...is actually the Diazepine ring structure of Etizolam. Could be...

I gotta stop getting faded and replying to these posts ha ha ha .....Methadone 80mg twenty min later 20mg Ritalin with 3 oz Tanqueray Jin cocktail at 9:36am before heading to family Thanksgiving gathering and dinner :) ....taking with me cannabis jel caps, 1.5 grams of Phenibut and half a Xanax peach football for after dinner around the fireplace lol :p

Happy Thanksgiving All :) ...from your friendly neighbour up north in Canada, Ah...

Cheers ;)

No worries, happy thanks giving to you as well! I just woke up and took my clonazepam and nabilone and am waiting on getting to the methadone clinic for my carry out doses.

But ya I understand your reasoning, but like i said, when many vendors have them available, they are listed as "diazepines" as they often have benzodizepines (or triazolos) like clonazolam and thieno triazolos like etizolam. so it seems even they distinguish it by the benzene/thiophene ring.

How many carries do you get?

I get 12 ...my old doc would write a months supply in rare cases. If the patient is stable for long term, clean urine, stable job, far away from clinic or trouble getting there, etc

It’s SUCH a bitch having to go there every week for my observed dose and pick up carries

Before I would get 2 MONTH supply of Dilaudid or OxyContin ....I think I might see my pain management do again and see if I can get back on their treatment with oral Methadone tablets.

Waste of gas & time with these clinics. People all on edge, angry, budding in line to get seen first lol, fights, geez. The first day I went there I was waiting for 3 hours to be seen, all sweaty and agitated....freaking nightmare.

Last edited:
I only get 6 thats the max my clinic typically gives out....so i have to go once per week for an observed dose and urine sample then they release 6 carries to me to last until the next monday

Well ladies & gentleman...here’s the true test for me

...no longer going to MMT clinic every two weeks and pissing in cup with 2 dollar insta test strips.

I’m back at my real pain treatment centre, getting multi month scripts :) very happy....but kinda dreading my results cause I will be tested monthly with real professional testing

will my test come back benzo positive? or shall I say, will they detect the Etizolam in my system ? Time will tell

I’ll let you guys know as soon as it happens....