• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ethan Rickman, 14, Dies After Taking Synthetic Drug 'Acid'

Bluelight Crew
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/ethan-rickman-dies-dead-acid_n_4076860.html

They call it "acid" -- but it's not what you think. And that confusion may have cost a young Missouri student his life.

Ethan Rickman, a high school freshman from Northland, Mo., died last week after taking "acid," a synthetic hallucinogenic drug made to mimic the effects of LSD.

Rickman was rushed to an area hospital Oct. 4 after Platte County sheriff's deputies received a call about an unresponsive teenager. The 14-year-old died at the hospital. Another 14-year-old, who has not been identified, was also treated for the drug.

Court documents state that the drug was "not the LSD form of acid," though Rickman thought it was.

KCTV reports that two other teens now face drug charges related to the death. According to court documents, Krista Meeks, 17, allegedly sold six hits of a "research chemical drug" known as "acid" to Rickman and the other teenager Oct. 3 in order to settle a debt with 18-year-old Jamell Montgomery.

The Kansas City Star reported that the unnamed teenager originally approached Montgomery about buying drugs, but that Montgomery then referred him to Meeks.

Court documents say the copycat hallucinogen has effects so "harsh and violent" that the young woman, who admitted to being a heavy drug user, said she refused to try it.

Montgomery and Meeks are both charged with felony distribution of a synthetic controlled substance. Meeks also faces two marijuana-related misdemeanor counts.

A statement released by the Park Hill School District called Rickman "a bright, talented, fun-loving young man who played in a band," and noted that "his family donated his organs, which are already saving a life."

Law enforcement told KSHB that police have seen an increase in the availability of synthetic drugs such as "acid" on the market and in schools, in part because they are cheaper than their organic counterparts. The side effects of those drugs are also far more violent and dangerous.

cont. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/10/ethan-rickman-dies-dead-acid_n_4076860.html

Law enforcement told KSHB that police have seen an increase in the availability of synthetic drugs such as "acid" on the market and in schools, in part because they are cheaper than their organic counterparts.

Are there any inorganic hallucinogens? They're all phenethylamines or tryptamines I think.

Other than the gaseous anesthetics (e.g. nitrous oxide), I can't think of any recreational substances that are inorganic.

The downside to the RC game. Kids who can be excused for not knowing WTF they are doing. pretty tragic. Im thankful DOB was still the aldurterant of choice 10 years ago when I got into acid.

It just sucks. If the media and government would just stop being so one sided in that "all drugs are bad" then maybe kids would understand when a drug is, well, really bad and not just assume it is more bullshit being blown up their ass.

Unless the high school were to freely distribute testing kits and give all incoming freshmen a crash course in organic chemistry, this kid still would've overdosed. No amount of rhetoric shift would've made a difference.

GENERALLY speaking though, abstinence-only drug education is probably as useful as abstinence-only sex education.

Lets all congratulate the government for all the lives they saved from that big RC ban back in 2011/2012.

Unless the high school were to freely distribute testing kits and give all incoming freshmen a crash course in organic chemistry, this kid still would've overdosed. No amount of rhetoric shift would've made a difference.

GENERALLY speaking though, abstinence-only drug education is probably as useful as abstinence-only sex education.
Or, if he lived in an alternate reality where the acid he took was actually LSD like it's supposed to be he'd most likely still be alive.

A death of young person is always sad.
Here it's tragic because it could have been avoided easily in alternate reality where the ignorant drug prohibition is replaced by early honest chemical education and using government resources to secure chemical purity to pharmacuetical levels and allowing reasonable access to adults.
The irony of people resorting to using more dangerous chemicals to avoid the possible legal consequences of much safer drugs is no doubt lost on the morons responsible for creating and sustaining the insane status quo.
It's bizzarre that owning a automatic firearm is considered a right in the same country that will incarcerate someone caught in possession of a psilocybin mushroom; they've no problem with tools used to kill people, only tools the open people's minds and hearts.

In HS this kid in my class dropped like 3 hits in this old lady substitutes coffee. Shit was hilarious but terrible.

This article is so devoid of useful information it would be laughable if a person had not died. Thanks drug war for claiming another innocent victim. This kid committed no crime, he just wanted to experience something new or alleviate his boredom. Now he is dead and not because some older kids sold him some "acid" that "causes much more violent and extreme effects." He is dead because of a vast uncaring government that insist on waging war on its own citizens. Whenever these anti-drug faggots get together and thump their chests and their bibles and exclaim "think of the children" there cries ring hollow because they dont care about the children. They care about control, power, and greed. The only reason drugs are not legal is because the USA gov is involved in the drug game at the highest levels. They make big money from drugs and they exert control over people thru force and oppression. These same sick asshole will get on TV and expound the great victories they achieve against the poor and downtrodden while the greedy and immoral run free. Drugs are not evil, people are evil. It's just the same as guns; guns dont kill people, people do. Guns and drugs are tools and any tool used by a moron is dangerous, hell a hammer in the wrong hands is just as dangerous. If the USA was not run by corrupt and evil people who do not care for their fellow man we could legalize drugs here. If the US did it then soon it would be legal everywhere, it may take a while but it would happen. The US forces it's anti-drug agenda on other nations, they give out massive amounts of money to struggling nations but only if they do as they are told and continue to eradicate plants, kill and jail their own citizens and support a wholly unjust and completely anti-human campaign of oppression. I'm not a religious person but i do pray for one thing. I pray that during my lifetime the drug war will end and we can celebrate our natural given right of mental, physical, and spiritual freedom the way we were born. The way life was intended to be.

"not the LSD form of acid,"

There is no other form of acid. LSD is acid, stick with whatever stupid media nickname you are tagging it with, like smiles. Even N-bomb or 25i. I like when LEO and media make up street names my favourite, and i didn't make it up: Tweety-Bird Mescaline.

So i guess anything that resembles the effects of lsd is now called acid. I swear people are just becoming more and more incompetent its scaring me, something being organic doesnt mean its more expensive nor does it mean that a synthetically made drug is cheap. Remove heads from between ones own ass cheeks.

condolences to the family dealing with their tragic loss and kids know what your taking before you consume anything.

"not the LSD form of acid,"

There is no other form of acid. LSD is acid, stick with whatever stupid media nickname you are tagging it with, like smiles. Even N-bomb or 25i. I like when LEO and media make up street names my favourite, and i didn't make it up: Tweety-Bird Mescaline.

first thing that struck me lol...not the lsd form of acid.

good to see there is no shortage on drug hysteria stories in the media. actually there is a horrid overabundance of them. drugs are bad mmmkay?