• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

ETH-LAD induced problems (right side of head)

user404040

Greenlighter
Last year, I decided to take ETH-LAD with a couple of friends. I already had taken ETH-LAD once, but in lower dose. I also had already taken LSD, 1p-LSD and ALD-52 many times. I never got any physical symptoms from those trips. I read some people have reported nausea on higher doses of ETH-LAD, but I took a standard dose of 100ug. I took the ETH-LAD and drank lots of beer before and together with it (I always do when I trip as I like the combo), and also smoked cigarettes. After 2 hours or so, I could see mild vision changes and felt a slight euphoria. We decided to take a walk. After a few kilometers of walking, it happened. I had no special physical or psychological symptoms until from one second to another I was hit with the worst headache of my life on the right side of the head. It felt as if someone stabbed a knife deep into my head. While this happened I heard a voice repeating over and over a word that doesn't exist and which sounded a bit like if you'd play a vinyl in reverse mode. This lasted for about 1 minute, then only remained a numb feeling on my right side of the head. I read that ETH-LAD is known to produce vivid auditory hallucinations but I've never encountered anything like that before. It was as if this headache/voice had pierced into my head and destroyed something. I thought the headache was to be attributed to a side-effect of the drug. We went back home and I decided to go to sleep as I felt very tired from this event.

Next day I woke up, and my head was still feeling bad on the right side. Like if there was some cramp in it or alike. My face was numb on the right side, too. I thought this would go away sooner or later.

In the next days I always felt like throwing up when waking up in the morning, having constant headache on right side, always most in the right temple. I felt dizzy, had trouble concentrating. It was hard to just get on with everyday life. The headache I had was like no headache I ever had before, but more localized, like some kind of small area was pinching inside my head.

Then I noticed that smoking cigarettes or drinking coffee would worsen this headache very much. I became so dizzy and an awful nausea hit me after 2 cups of coffee and a few cigarettes. I completely stopped. It's been a year ago, and even now, I cannot smoke 3 cigarettes anymore without having literally days of headache and a high pitched tinnitus as well as feeling nausea. The high-pitched tinnitus started appearing a few months after this event. It becomes worse when I drink alcohol (a bit), smoke cigarettes (very much up to catastrophic) or drink coffee (very much). I have to stress out that before this event I could smoke as many cigarettes as I wanted or drink as much coffee as I wanted without ever getting any tinnitus. As a matter of fact, coffee was my favourite drink, I drank tens of cups every day.

I had an MRI scan done 6 months after the event (that late because MRI is pretty much booked out here all the time). They found no sign of strokeI was told my brain looked normal in all regards. However, I was also told that the MRI will not show any vessels smaller than about 4mm. Yesterday, I read that mild strokes can go unnoticed on a MRI if it's done too late (6 months obviously being too late). If I could change one thing in my life, it would be to have called an ambulance that night.

Extra information:

- I have a feeling that my right ear is clogged since about 4 years. The first time I noticed this, I was on mushrooms. I have the feeling that sometimes I don't hear well on this ear. It seems to be going up and down together with the headache but I am not completely sure if this is just me thinking that it's related or not. Could it be a problem with the inner ear? 2 years ago I went to a doctor because of this. He looked into my ear and said there was nothing suspicious. However, it was found out that I don't hear as well on my right ear as on my left ear. The frequency diagram showed a rolloff in the higher frequencies post 12kHz.
- I have had a constant stiff neck for about 2 years now. The headache becomes stronger when the neck is more stiff. Working a lot on the computer makes my neck stiffen and so also the headache becomes worse. However, it has no effect on the tinnitus. There definitely seems to be some relation between the headache and the stiffness of my neck.
- I have seen a neurologist and a doctor. Nobody could tell me what is going on. The symptoms I experienced were stroke/TIA-like or could be some form of migraine. Since both cigarettes and coffeine are vasoconstrictors, I do believe that the aggravated headache comes from some blood flow being limited after smoking or drinking coffee. However, this is just an assumption.
- I haven't taken any drug ever since this event and not looking forward to do so again for a long time. Definitely had my share. My life has been turned upside down by this bullshit.

Maybe someone in here has been experiencing something similar and has some answers. The best thing I can do is stay away from cigarettes, coffee, alcohol and too much computer/desk work. It makes the headache nearly vanish (after weeks) but I always still feel that something is not right on my right side of the head. Like, I can feel it while I never feel the left side of my head. Before this event I also never felt the right side of my head, never had any headaches (expect on rare occasions, for instance when having a hangover from too much drinking).

I have never experienced something similar, but I think you're right and you're drawing more of a conclusion than making an assumption, even if it's not medically confirmed in the strict sense.

Tens of cups of coffee a day is an alarming amount. Add a couple of additional, concrescent factors, and yeah I could see a simple trip being the straw breaking the camel's back.

Vasodilation through physical exercise should therefore aid recovery, but I'm sure you figured as much. I'm sorry you had to go through this, sounds really awful.

if your ear is clogged get some murine for ears and an ear bulb and rinse (irrigate) your ear, it's cheap and worth the trouble.

accumulations of wax over time can be a fascinating and gross thing and the result can be loss of hearing headache loss of balance etc.

the beer and ciggies would make me sick so I don't mix (maybe 1/2 beer - quit smoking. shift to half tabs.

I’ve had something similar, years ago on lsd. It was like you described but made drop to the ground. I didn’t get the voice, though.
Felt like a pulled muscle, with that being my brain.

Dehydration can cause something like this, and coffee and alcohol can really deplete your water store.
Hopefully a one-off, those suck!

About a year ago I took 24mg of 4-HO-MIPT at a lake and about 3/4ths of the way through the trip I got a splitting headache. I've had an aural migraine before and it wasn't quite like that but it was really bad and lasted a couple days. In my case I'm almost positive it was dehydration and drinking 6+ beers while swimming and running around. Not ETH-LAD but I thought it would be worth mentioning here. I hope you can eventually find complete relief again.

Last edited: