• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Escitalopram Markedly Decreases Dendrite Density.

Bravoncius Roxford

Bluelighter
Interesting study. Escitalopram, the second most commonly prescribed SSRI in America(after sertraline, Zoloft) is a potent ligand of the human serotonin transporter, with an affinity of less than 1 nmol. This study indicates that a single dose of the drug causes a significant reduction of dendrites throughout most of the brain, except for the cerebellum and thalamus, where the connectivity was increased. The long-term implications for the health of the brain for those taking this drug are unknown: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct.../PMC3694983/&usg=AOvVaw2yGyNpNiQEWySnLqsA6UZc

Very interesting indeed! No idea what to make of this really, although it occurs to me, and perhaps this is obvious, that the DMN disruption is maybe important to the "antidepressant" effect, given that disrupting this DMN activity is, I believe, one of the potential mechanisms, by which psychedelics can exert antidepressant effects. I only had a cursory read so far but I notice that psilocybin is mentioned. Obviously on the flipside though reduction in dendrite density sounds bad. Hopefully we'll have more of a definite clue what is really going on in the brain one day... :)

Very interesting indeed! No idea what to make of this really, although it occurs to me, and perhaps this is obvious, that the DMN disruption is maybe important to the "antidepressant" effect, given that disrupting this DMN activity is, I believe, one of the potential mechanisms, by which psychedelics can exert antidepressant effects. I only had a cursory read so far but I notice that psilocybin is mentioned. Obviously on the flipside though reduction in dendrite density sounds bad. Hopefully we'll have more of a definite clue what is really going on in the brain one day... :)

Another interesting finding relates to neuropeptides with neurogenic, adaptive qualities like brain-derived neurotrophic factor, somatostatin C, etc: ,most SSRIs, like sertraline and paroxetine, seem to increase these neurogenic factors, at least in the pre=frontal cortex. Escitalopram, conversely and uniquely, seem to suppress them. While all SSRIs decrease BDNF in some areas of the brain related to emotions and movement, like the lymbic system and cerebellum, they seem to have neuroprotective effects in the pre-frontal cortex, which is the seat of reason, abstract thought and a sense of identity. Conversely, escitalopram strongly suppresses BDNF in this area of the brain. Neurons deprived of BDNF tend to markedly shrink and experience loss of dendrites, and if the decline is too severe and too prolonged, the neurons might actually die. The implications of this for long-term treatment with escitalopram and increased risk for dementia is unknown. As a precaution: only take this drug if you really, really need it. It might be harmful to intelligence and memory in the long run(we just don't know).