• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

erythromycin phosphate problem

Retired Trashcan

Bluelighter
I hope this is the right forum for this and that this topic is allowed. I have some erythromycin phosphate(solid) that is mixed with NaCl. It is fish antibiotic that I need to use to dose my cats (I'm not SWIMming here, it is for my kitties, not me). There is 90mg salt for every 10mg erythomycin, so the salt must go. I was going to dissolve the mixture in acetone, because I know salt won't dissolve in that, and I think the erythromycin phosphate will, then filter and evaporate the acetone to be left with my erythromycin. My question is, I found infoclearly showing that erythromycin stearate dissolves completely in acetone, but the info on erythromycin phosphate was a little over my head, and I am not 100% sure about it's solubility in acetone. Can anyone answer or give some feedback on this. I really can't afford a vet visit, so... TY RT :)

This is a really bad idea. Can you find a vet who will take payments? I'm not comfortable using erythromycin on cats. If you must use aquarium antibiotics for your poor cat, try amoxicillin. It is available in capsules. Look up the dosage by weight for cats, and use a mg scale to measure it out.

Do NOT do this if you don't have a scale. Cats are extremely sensitive to meds of all sorts and there's a very fine line between effective and toxic doses for very many meds, including antibiotics in cats.

Meanwhile, while I do hope your cats survive their illness and treatment, can you cut back on recreation a little bit and try to put the money you save by doing that into a "fund" for vet care for your critters?

I've done that for many years. I also have veterinary insurance on my cats, though Thomas who is pushing 13, will lose his coverage due to age shortly.

I'm not recreating. Too broke actually, and trying to live right. I tried all of the above actually, and amoxicillin isn't working. I found several places that sell erythromycin for feline use, including a dosage rate that I have found to be the same accross many well known vet Rx sites, 10-20mg/kg every 12 hours for erythromycin. However, it is Rx only. My worry is that is unsafe with all that salt in it. It needs to go. But erythromycin's effecteive and well used in kitties. This is a last resort that I'm not thrilled with, but don't have much choice.

Well, I went ahead and performed this experiment. I am left with about 120mg of white powder. It is consistent in color and consistency and has that horrible, bitter taste that I recognize as 'medicine flavor'. I think the other 80mg were lost in the leftover acetone mixture with the salt and other byproducts in it, as well as the film left on my glass dish that I couldn't completely scrape off. I took 20mg as a test to make sure it was safe for kitty, I figure that to be a dose high enough to make me feel ill if I had a toxic product, but not high enough to kill me if said powder is somehow toxic. I will dose kitty tomorrow if I feel well in the morning. I would still love some feedback on this if possible? The strange things I do, even clean, LOL. TY RT :|

Yeah, the erythromycin phosphate would dissolve well in acetone I reckon. The stearate more so as that is very lipophilic.