• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Erowid: N-iso meth is not a real thing.

Well isopropylamphetamine was discovered in 1980. It's supposed to be less stimulating with a longer duration of action. BUT I presume that it was only ever tested ad medically appropriate levels and so who knows what the subjective effects are at high doses? It's LogP is going to be somewhat higher than methamphetamine and so at high doses it my produce similar mental effects but with less physical side-effects.

I mean, isopropyl amine is not controlled or watched and it's BP is 34C so it may make production a bit easier... but then I've seen some European (meth)amphetamine labs and I have to say that seeing them has got to be one of the BEST reasons for not taking their output.

They have got around controls on glassware by having experts in the welding of stainless steel produce large reactors. While it has many advantages, it doesn't score too well in the 'ability to see reaction taking place' stakes.

OK 30 years ago I would take the occasional dexamphetamine tablet, but even those were too much for me. When I hear of people taking hundreds of milligrams of methamphetamine, I really do wonder about the outcomes.
From my research N-ISO has the same chemical formula as meth, just in a different order, it will test positive for meth in almost all tests, if you consume it you will fail a drug test, and you will most likely be charged as it being meth if caught, in NZ anyway...only thing is it does nothing for you except give you slight headache..it smells different to meth, the solvents they use in factory I think.

Did you even read the page I linked?
We mixed pure d-meth with N-IPBA at 1:1, 1:10, 1:100, 10:1, and 100:1 ratios. In all of the conditions, our setup showed isopropylbenzylamine as clearly distinct from methamphetamine. They would not be mistaken for one another or lost, even way below 1:100. [...] And they always have clearly distinct Mass Spectra (MS), so they simply don’t get confused at our lab.
GC is a common test that all drug testing labs will have, and many actually have GCMS. And their testing procedure is actually using the same equipment as is used for generalized testing of drugs, so doesn't need some specific special setup.

Also,
As of August 2022, DrugsData’s lab has found isopropylbenzylamine in eight samples total, ever,
My recent search shows 11 results, of which only one was sold as "meth". Every other result was (strangely) present in ketamine or "ecstacy" (which contained no MDMA but instead cocaine and caffeine(???)).
For reference there are 778 samples of meth tested and zero have N-iso as a cut.

From my research N-ISO has the same chemical formula as meth, just in a different order, it will test positive for meth in almost all tests, if you consume it you will fail a drug test, and you will most likely be charged as it being meth if caught,
I'd like to see your source for this.
I would bet on it being unreactive to typical meth test strips as seen in urine tests, and also as stated above GCMS (used in forensic ID of drugs) would show it was not in fact meth.
Also I have read it has a different reaction to meth when using the Mandelin reagent.

Last edited:
From my research N-ISO has the same chemical formula as meth, just in a different order, it will test positive for meth in almost all tests, if you consume it you will fail a drug test, and you will most likely be charged as it being meth if caught, in NZ anyway...only thing is it does nothing for you except give you slight headache..it smells different to meth, the solvents they use in factory I think.
Isopropylbenzylamine does not change color with Marquis reagent:

Someone mentioned to me that 'butyl meth' turned up at least briefly. Their review was that it had a high body-load and little euphoria. I can see WHY it might turn up.

In that case it's simply a case of swapping BMK for BEK. But the N-butyl homologue of methamphetamine appears to predominantly be an NRI with little DRI activity (which I presume would result in the effects reported).

Their will ALWAYS be something people will try to turn a profit (it was sold as meth) and mitigate risk (it appears to be legal almost everywhere).

Their IS a positional isomer, sec-butyl methamphetamine which was patented as a diet medication by French researchers in the 1950s but it has 4 enantiomers (meth has two) so it wouldn't be very potent.

Residual, or about 50% because they don't even try to remove the undesirable levorotary isomer from the racemic meth?
Almost ALL of the meth sold in the US is Cartel methamphetamine, and the levo isomer has been removed using tartaric acid and is pure d-methamphetamine.

DEA says 9X+% d-methamphetamine, 97% pure.

Oh well, ICE methamphetamine was good while it lasted. You can't trust street drugs since fentanyl. Maybe that will change soon and maybe it won't.

Almost ALL of the meth sold in the US is Cartel methamphetamine, and the levo isomer has been removed using tartaric acid and is pure d-methamphetamine.

DEA says 9X+% d-methamphetamine, 97% pure.
Well the DEA probably lies, cops like to lie or are clueless because “pure” sounds better to retain their jobs and funding. Like on that show COPS when the cops are like “it’s such a shame… nowadays it’s so so pure 99%”

I am convinced that most cartel meth has a lot of levo isomer or other compounds and just a small amount of dextro. I just by chance actually got a good batch of what feels like pure dextro, mixed with inactive cut (because the doses were 2-3x what pure would be) and it was exactly like the rare pure stuff I was able to get years ago. Clean, zero blood pressure increase or anxiety. Amazing ADHD drug. Makes me want to try and get desoxyn prescribed just to be able to use it and not have to worry about the unstable supply.

That cartel crap raises BP a LOT usually… most people prob don’t check their BP.

Well the DEA probably lies, cops like to lie or are clueless because “pure” sounds better to retain their jobs and funding. Like on that show COPS when the cops are like “it’s such a shame… nowadays it’s so so pure 99%”

I am convinced that most cartel meth has a lot of levo isomer or other compounds and just a small amount of dextro. I just by chance actually got a good batch of what feels like pure dextro, mixed with inactive cut (because the doses were 2-3x what pure would be) and it was exactly like the rare pure stuff I was able to get years ago. Clean, zero blood pressure increase or anxiety. Amazing ADHD drug. Makes me want to try and get desoxyn prescribed just to be able to use it and not have to worry about the unstable supply.

That cartel crap raises BP a LOT usually… most people prob don’t check their BP.

Yeah I would not trust those DEA stats. I would not be surprised if those numbers were purity not optical purity.

The data I've seen suggests they don't get dextrorotatory enantiomer above 93%. So even if say 7% of total is l-methamphetamine, that amount is plenty significant to alter the perceived effects relative to enantiomerically pure d-meth. That's because l-methamphetamine is a highly specific NE releasing agent (even ephedrine is more dopaminergic than l-methamphetamine).

Anyone who has tried both enantiomerically pure d-methamphetamine and this cartel meth would clearly be able to distinguish the difference.

Or perhaps there is another, less understood reason

The RRR technique (which is the process the mexican cartels use to convert the excess l-meth from the original racemic product into d-meth) is tricky and prone to issues. Racemization is a delicate process, insufficient racemization may lead to low yields, while over-racemization can lead to the unnecessary conversion of d-methamphetamine back to the l-form or to other unwanted by-products (perhaps some being pharmacologically active or toxic). It is certain the the end result of this jerry-rigged (or perhaps i should say juan-rigged) "crystal meth" is more of a mixture that contains residual l-methamphetamine or side reactions by-products.

But, in the end the product works more or less, is mostly d-meth, and is dirty cheap due to the massive scale it is made on. I never was a meth fan but anyone who has had pseudoephedrine derived d-meth would know this new stuff is quite inferior.

Has nothing to so with n-iso though.