View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

epilepsy & lsd

kracks

Bluelighter
is there any posibilty that a person with epilepsy could take a low dose of lsd? if that same person could handel alcohol regularly, would lsd be any worse on her brain or at prompting a siesure?

There was a case I read about that claimed a person without a history of epilepsy had an attack after being dosed with LSD.

Although this was proven, scientists in the 1950's did studies on treating epilepsy with LSD. I would do as much research as you can before you venture into psychedelics. :)

Good luck and be safe,
Bickoma.

I don't think there's any chance of anybody here giving anything more than a vague opinion (even those that might know alot about epilepsy and psychedelics)
I've known people who absolutely always had a fit the morning after drinking but had no issues with lsd.
I know people who have no issues with drink or mushrooms (not seen them on lsd) and have such severe epilepsy that they'd given up their prescribed drugs (and their driving license) because they changed them so dramatically.
I know somebody else who doesn't have fits, but his memory reverts to about 2 years earlier if he drinks. He doesn't take any psychedelics.

From what I know, I don't think she'd be putting herself in excessive danger, but I'd certainly look to have a trip sitter who knows what to do if she does have a fit.

Last edited:
I know somebody else who doesn't have fits, but his memory reverts to about 2 years earlier if he drinks. He doesn't take any psychedelics.

Woah! That's pretty intense. Is this a named syndrome?

bickoma said:
No idea, but it was caused by a rather nasty bike crash.

A friend of mine is epileptic, and takes LSD, mushrooms, various tryptamines over the years, and MDMA at least a few times in the past. He's never had a problem with any of it. He's taking preventative medication to raise the seizure threshold, and I don't think he has a particularly bade time with the epilepsy in general.

i think if you can drink alc
you can take a v. small amt i.e 1/4 blotter
but do expect to writhe
and dont assume the writhing is a siezure coming on.

There was some evidence in the 50's. The effects of LSD on EEG taken from the medial temporal lobes of psychotic patients showed increased "paroxysmal" activity - which made researchers think that it would raise the seizure threshold. In fact, when they dosed epileptics it actually quietened spikes and sharp wave activity. In Grof's "LSD psychotherapy" he recommends not dosing epileptics with LSD, I think his advice is good, especially if you are off anti-convulsant medication.

Last edited:
Alcohol absolutely does not equal ANY degree of a decreased propensity towards seizures. On certain medications, alcohol increases the level of anti-convulsants in the blood stream so what may otherwise be seen as an increased risk regarding seizing (dehydration perhaps being the key here), can be negated by a rise in plasma concentrations of meds.

I just saw this and felt I could contribute, as more information is always good when you're in this boat.

I have the occasional seizure (probably <10 in my time), and LSD was fine. I'm obviously not advocating the use of anything, but I've only ever had them when I've been out all night/flashing lights/etc.

My advice? Do it during the day - your threshold is generally lower the less sleep you've had. Stay hydrated, don't bring out a strobe light or anything stupid, and make sure you've got someone there who can spot you if anything goes wrong.

I have only had one seizure, and it was on Dec 23rd, 2006. I have since cut all drug use, except for the occasional beer, joint, and cigarette.

I know form personal experience that after having few epilepsy seizure I don't have had any when I have had psychedelics that include shrooms, lsd and many RC's. Then again it's only me and you should stongly consider if you take psychedelics when you have epilepsy. If you decide to do it then with persons who know what you have taken and and can help you and call ambulance.
I don't think there will be any problems but be safe cause you are not me and persons are different.

SpellmanT7 said:
Alcohol absolutely does not equal ANY degree of a decreased propensity towards seizures. .

Not sure what u mean here. Too many negatives.:) It increases GABA and acts as a anti-convulsant. However even a very minor hangover may be enough to trigger seizures on meds considered seizure risk, such as tramadol, venlafaxine etc because of gaba downregulation, raised bp and dehydration.

Or alcohol may monopolise some liver enzymes leading toleading to higher plasma levels of certain meds that can triggering seizures.

Or was this the point u were making?

bickoma said:

suppose it could be Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome, because of alcohol, but the bike crash rules that out.

Hey, ive just been checking out things on the internet because my girlfriend, who has had one seizure in her life about a month and a half ago, and i split a tab of lsd yesterday around 2pm and she suffered a total of six tonic-clonic seizures over the course of the trip, affecting her at 3:30ish pm, 4:15 pm, 5 pm, 5 45 pm, 6:50 pm and 7:50 pm. unfortunately i havent been able to find any information correlating to lsd intake and seizures, so ill write our experience here for anyone in the future who may be looking. we were both quite surprised because wed taken so little each, i barely felt the effects and it was both our first times taking it. not to say i was entirely free of effects, but i had no visual hallucinations and other then a state of stoked-ness that lasted for about five hours was relatively unaffected. anyways we learnt a lot about how seizures work on her, basically she sees mad psychedelic colours in the top left corner of her vision and her whole body gradually tenses up left as she finds herself unable to look away from the colours and is drawn into them, at which point she enters what appears to be the clonic phase of the seizure for about 45 seconds and is then in a state of disoriented heavy sleep for about 7 minutes afterwards, and after waking remains quite disoriented but recovers gradually over a period of at least half an hour. She learned to recognize that the seizure was about to occur when she saw the crazy colours and i attempted to talk her out of the seizure and keep her distracted from the colours as long as possible. My father also suffers from epilepsy due to getting knocked out playing hockey as a kid, however his fits are few and far between. He ended up undergoing a series of exams in the 80s and they discovered the root of this epilepsy was because part of his brain had been killed in the hockey accident and that the fits occurred whenever his brain attempted to use this dead part. He also learnt that whenever he noticed one coming on all he had to do was simply focus on a task and the feeling would come to pass, and that he was incapable of having a fit when doing something, it only happened if he was sitting down zoning out. I decided that getting her to process quick easy math would hopefully give her brain something else to think about and perhaps stop the spread of the fit throughout the brain, however also realized that her form of epilepsy was likely completely different from my fathers. A combination of these techniques proved somewhat effective, as the first couple times she experienced the seizure she went almost immediately into the clonic phase (within 5 seconds) however with me talking her through it and attempting the distract her vision from the colours we managed to make it as long as 20-25 seconds before she finally succumbed. I should also note that when the first six seizures first began her pupils got very large and would look as far into the top left quadrant of her vision as they could and could not look away. After the sixth seizure i made the room as dark as possible for her thinking that perhaps light had something to do with triggering the seizure, and it may have been correct or perhaps the lsd was simply wearing off. regardless, my friend opened the door to the room at 9:50 pm and let a sliver of light into the room, at which point she told me it was happening again, however her tone changed quickly and said it was much milder this time and she thought she could stop it. I told my friend to close the door and we were back in darkness. He left the room after asking me a quick couple questions and closed the door again behind him letting as little light into the room as possible. I then asked my girlfriend if it had stopped and she said not yet, but did not sound worried, and 10 seconds later she told me it had passed. the night passed relatively event free and we just hung out in bed unable to fall asleep until around 4 in the morning. she was quite restless the whole time but i thought it prudent to stay in the dark at least until she had had a full nights sleep in case any other seizure may have occurred, i did not think her body would thank her if she had any more.

anyways, to any epileptics out there who may be looking to try lsd, if your fits resemble the type my girlfriend has suffered i would definitely not recommend acid, or if you really want to try do it in as safe an environment as possible where someone would know how to react if your threshold level got lowered as dramatically as my girlfriends, as well as being prepared for an unbelievably sore tongue, mind and body the next day.

Lets say you take 300mcg 1p-LSD friday.

Is there any reason why, I am epileptic since sept. , I created nonsense reply's saturday. Unconcious/ without memory. The things I was supposed to do, visit my granny was gone.

But on sunday still not concious I went to a apointment that was planned later that week. Walked through a abandoned hospital the only memory I have.

Decided to get groceries and hed home. During the ride I fell asleep to be awakened by a what I assume was a paramedic. They asked me if I wanted to do a Alcohol breath test. Negative.

From then on I was conciouss, barely , and headed home. 3 day's later my typing was visibly effected. But emotionally I felt better then the last 10 years. Not like how you feel after a seizure.

Any idea's, my dr will be next year. But this is puzzling to me especially as i find no relevant info on internet related to epilepsy. My MRI was ok, blood pressure a bit low.

300 mics is a lot.
you got what you got.
yeah, I agree my negative view on 1p is gone. Just had to double the dose. But what was it that I got after is that related to epilepsy? And why does it only effect my writing in Dutch not English?

The afterglow was amazing but the missing day's. The complex activities I performed while being subconscious.

I love LSD but if this is the price to pay I better take precaution's. Maybe I should quit but like I mentioned can't find any reference for my day after experience.

A lot more information on the subject here :

300 mics is a lot.
you got what you got.
yeah, I agree my negative view on 1p is gone. Just had to double the dose. But what was it that I got after is that related to epilepsy? And why does it only effect my writing in Dutch not English?

The afterglow was amazing but the missing day's. The complex activities I performed while being subconscious.

I love LSD but if this is the price to pay I better take precaution's. Maybe I should quit but like I mentioned can't find any reference for my day after experience.
A lot more information on the subject here :
after scrollin down many pages I found no mention of my complex activities I performed unconcious.

It was not an seizure, but I think it is related to epilepsy.