• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Epigenetics vs Eugenics

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Eugenics being the contention that cross breeding of two "stud" specimens renders the optimized outcome (theoretically).

Epigenetics seems to yield actually a more genuine outcome.

It's a cross of phenotypes

rp7dIAN.jpg

The determinant of development is actually the thought process one acquires.

That is to say, the phenotype is the thought process, therefore the product of cross-phenotyping (offspring) - will actually be a product of the mentality of specimens that bred.

I think that's accurate.

Gene mutations aside (such as disease), in healthy offspring, their predisposed "thought" setup is simply a combination of their parents mentalities.

Mentalities dictate long term phenotyping, i.e. gene expression.

i.e. performance, life potential, "character".

During lockdown I was replaying an old video game from way back;

It's primary theme is actually genetics.

What the cut scene outlines is that, gene cross breeding to produce ultimate specimens is unreliable at best.

i.e. Hilters idea of the Arian race could in terms of actual performance, never have been successful.

Conventional eugenics simply doesn't materialize.

Why?

The phenotype, the development phase, ultimately - thought process acquisition - what that means, and how its optimized.

That is the true denominator of performance and success.

Gene codes for protein synthesis and expression, essentially, physiologically, what we become.

But it's actually the epigenome that causes that expression, such that modification of the epigenome is the true determinant of protein synthesis, "what we become".

Thus the phenotype vs the genotype is the more accurate consideration.

And phenotyping as a function of development = thought process thus neural electrical activity -> biological cascades that implicate gene expression.

i.e. genes are historically considered the primary denominator as in, "either you have it or you don't".

But I guess that's more a reflection of contemporary science's lack of understanding when it comes to true optimization of phenotyping and modification of gene expression (neural electricity coded for by how we think, determining biological cascades which influence/determine the phenotype).

QyPK2pd.png

Last edited:
“Sperm DNA methylation epimutation biomarker for paternal offspring autism susceptibility”

Eugenics, at least in the classical sense, is based on phenotype. With the advent of genetics the partition between epigenetics, as to the side of the old eugenics, and genomic / genetic questions covering modernized “eugenics” (which it is unlikely to be called if ever truly utilized, it has become a disparaged term, derogatory almost) which it is clearly apart from (away from epigenetics as we understand them now).

However in terms of being able to 're-program' epigenetic features, the science of displayed and latent traits could certainly help with the fitness of the population through individuals already living. Yet there is some evidence that hard wired genetics can be respliced with CRISPR Cas–9, albeit, taking hold through heteroplasmy would be a tall order and take time, perhaps cause rejection issues as it proliferates.

wXhsn4c.jpg

In relation to coding, apparently the contention of this text is it happens primarily by way of cell signalling, vs neural action potentials (spikes) themselves - relative to the brains computational efficiency vs that of a computer/integrated circuit.

It's 500 pages and I'm just starting.

If anyone has happened to browse this already, thoughts on its contentions....?

“Sperm DNA methylation epimutation biomarker for paternal offspring autism susceptibility”

However in terms of being able to 're-program' epigenetic features, the science of displayed and latent traits could certainly help with the fitness of the population through individuals already living. Yet there is some evidence that hard wired genetics can be respliced with CRISPR Cas–9, albeit, taking hold through heteroplasmy would be a tall order and take time, perhaps cause rejection issues as it proliferates.

Thoughts on how this is/would-be accomplished?

Thoughts on how this is/would-be accomplished?
Just a hunch on topics such as the article I linked; targeting health issues due to the epigenetic state of the parents when it comes to the child, etc.

Just a hunch on topics such as the article I linked; targeting health issues due to the epigenetic state of the parents when it comes to the child, etc.

Although genetics is anticipated to be a component of ASD etiology, environmental epigenetics is now also thought to be an important factor.

Ancestral or early-life paternal exposures that alter germline epigenetics are anticipated to be a molecular component of ASD etiology.

Curious as to what such exposures could be.

If I gather that abstract correctly, they're basically insinuating that behavioral based epigenetic modification, can heighten/reduce/influence potential for offspring based ASD.

So it goes beyond the conventional exclusively genetic base for ASD susceptibility.

But yeah - the pivotal question there is, what are the nature of these epigenetic changes/exposures...?

Last edited:
"Cognitive neuroscience" and study of ASD do seem closely related.

I personally contend cognition development and epigenetic modification are a function of one another.

Autism is a disorder related to perhaps, abnormalities in cognition - interesting that a paper would correlate epigenetic influence to ASD risk.

Eugenics is like geoengineering: it's the practice of taking (huge) risks with something humanity only has one of, be it the genome or the Earth. Luckily, it will never succeed politically. It's such an abysmally awful bet it's no surprise that only the crazy people are interested. If a eugenics program works, we might experience a few extra decades of life and maybe a lot less developmental disease. If it fails, we could lose the whole species.

Very enlightening/informative video on aspects of free will/agency vs determinism.

i.e. life course dictated/determined by genes.