• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Ephedrine as an antidepressant?

thegreatgeno

Bluelighter
I take ephedrine (36.5mg) 3 times per day for asthma and weight loss purposes, but i've noticed for 2-3 hours after taking the ephedrine, I get a nice mood lift. It's not what you'd call blissful euphoria like you'd get on opiates, but a nice little pick me up.

I know ephedrine isn't good for the heart, but i'm young and in shape with no heart problems so that's less of an issue for me.

You're just getting a stimulant high. In no way shape or form is this treating depression - it's just perking you up, as stimulants tend to do, and it is not sustainable. You'll likely start to get a crash as it wears off which will make things worse, tolerance will build and you'll need to up your dose, and in the end it is likely to just stop working. In the meantime you'll have depleted your dopamine and noradrenaline, which will exacerbarte any underlying depression.

As ephedrine has pronounced peripheral action, adverse side effects are common, especially with increasingly high doses - vasoconstriction and fast heart rate (not a good combination for the heart, even a healthy one), high blood pressure, reduced appetite (I know this is a desired effect for you, but it can go too far) and even kidney failure due to vasoconstriction of the renal arteries.

It is likely to start making you anxious, jittery and paranoid - not good for someone who is depressed - and as it is a stimulant it could potentially lead to stimulant psychosis, especially if you take high doses over any length of time. It can also cause insomnia, which will not help depression either. All of these side effects are dose-dependent, so they will worsen as you become tolerant and need to increase your dose to get the mood lift you need.

Overall it is going to make depression worse in the long run, while potentially damaging your health. I'd stick to using it at sensible doses for it's intended purpose only, and bear in mind the detrimental effect it can have on both your physical and mental health!

^Pretty much.

Using stimulants as anti-depressants is self-limiting, let alone a stimulant like ephedrine (which isn't the greatest stimulant around, by far).

^Pretty much.

Using stimulants as anti-depressants is self-limiting, let alone a stimulant like ephedrine (which isn't the greatest stimulant around, by far).

Best stimulant around? No. Best stimulant you can buy in a store? Yes. (unless you're in to propylhexedrine)

Fair enough, but the points I made still stand about it's usefulness as an antidepressant :)

If you can buy it in a store or not isn't the question here.

Long story short, don't use ephedrine as an anti-depressant. Its an okay stimulant, provided you keep the doses low.

If you can buy it in a store or not isn't the question here.

Long story short, don't use ephedrine as an anti-depressant. Its an okay stimulant, provided you keep the doses low.

I suppose you're right. I was hoping it'd help because I have major depressive disorder and SSRIs didn't do diddly shit for me.

^ there are other antidepressants apart from SSRIs, and other treatments apart from antidepressants - have you spoken to your doctor and been through all the options? I understand the appeal of boosting your mood - depression is no joke, and anything that makes you feel even slightly better seems great - but unfortunately it just isn't viable long term...

^ there are other antidepressants apart from SSRIs, and other treatments apart from antidepressants - have you spoken to your doctor and been through all the options? I understand the appeal of boosting your mood - depression is no joke, and anything that makes you feel even slightly better seems great - but unfortunately it just isn't viable long term...

Well, I asked about going on Nardil or another MAOI, but he doesn't want me on MAOIs due to the side effects. Although i'm sure the side effects are no worse than depression. So as an alternative i've been self medicating with synthetic cannabinoids. It helps quite a bit but it gets expensive.

You need to look into changing your environment or getting into therapy; self-medication for depression is a tightrope walk that many don't make.

Personally, Ephedrine i feel would do the opposite, it has a lot of nasty side effects such as anxiety, insomnia, reduces your appetite, i think you would feel more miserable trying to take this as an anti depressant, it's a stimulant, your gonna crash when it wears off, besides it mostly just makes you feel energized with anxiety and muscle stiffness, dont do it

I wouldn't recommend it. I drink caffeine daily, for a little pick up in the morning. The only reason I drink coffee is because there's a container of it on my kitchen counter and it takes less than 3 minutes to make. I've had ephedrine too though. I'd consider it only slightly better than caffeine, but ultimately not worth my time to procure it. But in NH it's kind of a bitch to come across and its mixed heavily with guafinesin. My point though, is that if you use a stimulant like caffeine or ephedrine on a daily basis to combat depression, you'll more likely end up geeked the fuck out.

Ephedrine, theoretically affects many of the same neurotransmitters that SSRI's and other drugs do.

Ephedrine is probably not a good drug to be taking daily for other reasons, but stimulants do have their place in treating depression.
Stimulants can be prescribed off-label for depression.

Depending on how you use it, I think stimulants can help depression. Opioids also have a great usefulness to helping depression.

To tell some one that they're just "getting high" and to do something else is kind of rude. Would you prefer some one not feel good AT ALL?
Why is "feeling good" from a medicine so stigmatized? Especially in a community of people who use them?

There are no "cures" for depression, only tools to cope with it. And stimulants & all kinds of drugs & even "getting high" can all have benefits and be tools for some one battling treatment resistant depression. Except people have been conditioned for decades to feel like they're morally corrupt for "getting high" or self medicating.

Ephedrine is particularly bad for cardiovascular health moreso than anti depressants available i would advise against this

Im advising against it long term (as you would an antidepressant) as well due to the cardiovascular risk..

But I disagree that it's wrong to use medicines that might make you feel "high" or "feel good" for depression.

If you suffer from only mild depression & just need a pick me up for a few days, I think the it could be a useful tool to have around.

I take ephedrine (36.5mg) 3 times per day for asthma and weight loss purposes, but i've noticed for 2-3 hours after taking the ephedrine, I get a nice mood lift. It's not what you'd call blissful euphoria like you'd get on opiates, but a nice little pick me up.

I know ephedrine isn't good for the heart, but i'm young and in shape with no heart problems so that's less of an issue for me.
Ephedrine is horrible for your heart, especially since it’s actually linked to many forms of heart disease in previously healthy hearts. Which is more why it should be avoided as to the notion that it can kill somebody with a bad heart. I’ve noticed the same things though, I did have to switch to Pseudoephedrine though because normal doses were screwing up my QRS and QT lines. Pseudoephedrine works just as well for me in the aspect of antidepressant effects.

Ephedrine is horrible for your heart, especially since it’s actually linked to many forms of heart disease in previously healthy hearts. Which is more why it should be avoided as to the notion that it can kill somebody with a bad heart. I’ve noticed the same things though, I did have to switch to Pseudoephedrine though because normal doses were screwing up my QRS and QT lines. Pseudoephedrine works just as well for me in the aspect of antidepressant effects.

Is pseudoephedrine as bad on your heart as regular ephedrine?

I've been using ephedrine, 25-50mg a day for the past 6 months.
I've been using it to curb stimulant cravings and because I find it helps kick my other meds up a notch and some mood stabilizing effects.

But I too am worried about taking it this long and was hoping to get on a genuine stimulant so that I could get off of it, but that hasn't quite happened yet.
I've told my doctor that I don't like having to take it and would like to be on something safer, but they dont' seem very concerned about me taking it everyday for this long.