• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Enjoying drinking after opiate addiction? Possible?

Relapz

Bluelighter
I just am curious about other heroin or opiate addicts and alcohol. I used to love alcohol and to party, but it seems nowadays I just can't bring myself to get drunk and I don't know why. I currently am on a suboxone taper to get off of opiates, a low dose of 2 mg a day.

I just don't know if it's possible to drink anymore, my girlfriend likes to drink and go out and I want to be able to do it with her, but I fear once I'm off of opiates I still won't be able to drink.

So I guess my question is is there any opiate addicts who are clean from opiates and can enjoy drinking after being hooked on them? Do you no longer drink for fear of relapse, or just because it's no longer enjoyable?

Thank you for advice / replies, I know I can be sober and go out with my girl it just would be nice to avoid all the scrutiny and just be able to drink.

Before I started using h I drank a lot then cut way back once I started shooting up regularly after I pretty much stopped I went back to the alcohol eventualy, though years ago when I'd get drunk I'd decide to go get some black I haven't been to tempted in a while. But I still drink just not everyday like I use to

Both are drugs and tbh, Ill abuse both of them equally eventually so I choose to live the sober life.

Yeah, i went through the same thing. Used to drink ALOT in my teens, then when the needle became a daily thing i had no desire to drink, and the girlfriend was mad i didn't want to go out drinking. I didn't drink a drop for 5 or so years until i got on methadone maintenance, then started drinking beer 3-4 times a week. This went on for a year and a half, until i got kicked out of MMT and i started using heroin and other opiates again, and once again quit drinking. I don't know why but a lot of opiate users are like this. Ultimately i had to kick again due to incarceration, and once i got out i again enjoy drinking. Although TBH i would still prefer any opiate. The bright side is if the misses wants to go out partying, I'm down to. I wouldn't worry about it to much man. Try to go out and have a good time at the Bar/Club/Party once your off sub for awhile. I find it helps to enjoy drinking when there are friends around. Good luck man.

This can be a slippery slope, but it can be done. IME, when I got off of methadone I started drinking, as I felt that it helped strip away the social awkwardness from years of not socializing normally. It was, a sort of backward peer pressure in a sense. I never even liked alcohol until I wound up at a point where I was walking around with a mixed drink in a water bottle during all social interaction ...even while using social media from behind a computer screen with no one else immediately present. I eventually tired of the taste of all alcohol which aided its own sort of taper, so I never had a problem stopping.

OP, be careful with this one. As you probably know, it's easy to swap one addiction for another, even if it's not your goal. I definitely believe you can do this without getting hooked, and if that's how you want to enjoy a night out with your girl, then so be it, just enjoy in moderation. I hope its internal pressure that you feel, not external pressure like getting slack from your girl.

Going out with friends and doing the occasional drinking, is one of the best things you can do during paws! However, be careful drinking on suboxone, it has led to people ODing, and as others have said, be careful not to start an alcohol addiction.

I've noticed that when I'm trying to get clean from H, alcohol won't really scratch the itch I have to use H, and I almost have to force myself to go out, but once I have a few in me, and am starting to get loosened up with that warm feeling, then I'm Glad I did it..

- Hopeless 7nos

Thanks everyone for the replies, definitely some good advice here on bluelight