• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Emphysema and opiate abuse?

pahn

Bluelighter
Hi all. I've been an addict my entire life. For the majority of the past 10 years i've been steady on suboxone, but have always told myself when i know i'm getting near death i wanted to go back to using. I got my life together, but if i dont have much of a life left to ruin i want to enjoy what little time i have left. A few months ago i was diagnosed with emphysema. It isnt terrible, but its getting progressively worse. I'm still on suboxone, i avg 6mg a day right now. I've noticed that the suboxone will often trigger some breathing difficulty, and thats what kinda piqued my interest. I was planning on tapering and starting to use occasionally, but i was curious if abusing opiates is going to be safe anymore? I mean obviously i know that abuse isnt safe to begin with, but i mean would abusing opiates with emphysema be WAY more deadly? I know that opiates are CNS depressants which is what causes most deaths in overdose because it basically just stops you from breathing. So now i'm terrified thinking if i were to take a handful of vicodin or methadone im just going to die...im even kinda afraid of taking the suboxone. I have been wrestling with my mortality for quite some time and i'm fucking terrified. I'm only 34, but my health is worse than most ppl i know in their 60s. I know my time left is short. I'd be SHOCKED if i make it to 40. If theres anyone out there with any first hand experience, or any helpful knowledge in general I would greatly appreciate it. This website has saved my life time and time again over the past 13 years, and I appreciate everyone on here. Thank you.

What stage COPD were you diagnosed with? What makes you so sure your life expectancy is as limited as you think?

But yes, opioid abuse and COPD don't play well together.

Hi all. I've been an addict my entire life. For the majority of the past 10 years i've been steady on suboxone, but have always told myself when i know i'm getting near death i wanted to go back to using. I got my life together, but if i dont have much of a life left to ruin i want to enjoy what little time i have left. A few months ago i was diagnosed with emphysema. It isnt terrible, but its getting progressively worse. I'm still on suboxone, i avg 6mg a day right now. I've noticed that the suboxone will often trigger some breathing difficulty, and thats what kinda piqued my interest. I was planning on tapering and starting to use occasionally, but i was curious if abusing opiates is going to be safe anymore? I mean obviously i know that abuse isnt safe to begin with, but i mean would abusing opiates with emphysema be WAY more deadly? I know that opiates are CNS depressants which is what causes most deaths in overdose because it basically just stops you from breathing. So now i'm terrified thinking if i were to take a handful of vicodin or methadone im just going to die...im even kinda afraid of taking the suboxone. I have been wrestling with my mortality for quite some time and i'm fucking terrified. I'm only 34, but my health is worse than most ppl i know in their 60s. I know my time left is short. I'd be SHOCKED if i make it to 40. If theres anyone out there with any first hand experience, or any helpful knowledge in general I would greatly appreciate it. This website has saved my life time and time again over the past 13 years, and I appreciate everyone on here. Thank you.
Heroin is shit nowdays btw if that's your drug of choice.

What stage COPD were you diagnosed with? What makes you so sure your life expectancy is as limited as you think?
But yes, opioid abuse and COPD don't play well together.

I live in a small town with shit medical care. They have been extremely vague about it but said they THINK its early to mid stage. Mind you I was diagnosed 3 months ago. Back then i had few symptoms, sharp pain in chest, seeing stars, occasional dizziness, and minor shortness of breath. My avg O2 saturation was around 98. I cut my smoking down to basically nothing for the first 3 weeks but then had a litany of other medical issues hit me around that time and the stress and mental anguish pushed me back to smoking. In the past 3 weeks my heart has been acting strangely, my breathing has become very labored, i developed a wheeze, and my O2 saturation is steady between 90-95. It has just been such a quick steep plummet the past month and i feel hopeless. I havent abused anything in YEARS and i want to feel that fleeting happiness for once. I know its not best for me, but i've been going through the motions for the past 5 years, and now starring down the barrel of death i want to enjoy it before its too late.

Heroin is shit nowdays btw if that's your drug of choice.
I actually only tried heroin once, i just snorted it, and i barely felt different. I'm pretty sure it was shit quality. I've always wanted to try actually shooting it, but i feel like i missed my opportunity on that one what with the emphysema and all. If I do get high again i feel like id have to take something weaker. Methadone was always my DOC, and i know thats basically synthetic heroin. I loved any opiate really. oxy, vics, percs, morphine was ok in a pinch, same with tylenol 3s. I even had a stretch of xanax addiction, but i feel like thatd be a sure fire way to stop my lungs completely.

I actually only tried heroin once, i just snorted it, and i barely felt different. I'm pretty sure it was shit quality. I've always wanted to try actually shooting it, but i feel like i missed my opportunity on that one what with the emphysema and all. If I do get high again i feel like id have to take something weaker. Methadone was always my DOC, and i know thats basically synthetic heroin. I loved any opiate really. oxy, vics, percs, morphine was ok in a pinch, same with tylenol 3s. I even had a stretch of xanax addiction, but i feel like thatd be a sure fire way to stop my lungs completely.
Tbh man, this id the worst time to be an opiate addict. So many restrictions and counterfeit pills. Unless you got a Dr, you're pretty much effed.

Tbh man, this id the worst time to be an opiate addict. So many restrictions and counterfeit pills. Unless you got a Dr, you're pretty much effed.
Just curious as to what you mean by restrictions? I've been outta the game for a minute, so im fucking clueless lol. COUNTERFEIT PILLS?!?! duuuuude...the thought of that infuriates me beyond measure. I mean pills are dangerous enough as it is, we dont need russian roulette added on top of it. I remember back in the day someone tried to sell me a whittled down altoid and tried to pass it off as a zubsolv. Luckily i spotted the inconsistancies immediately, and im really fucking lucky because i always snorted zubsolvs and snorting an altoid wouldve been hell. So are these counterfeit pills sold online, or made by hand? Is it all opiates like vicodin, morphine, etc? I'm so curious and furious at the same time lol. I need sooo much more information!!!

Just curious as to what you mean by restrictions? I've been outta the game for a minute, so im fucking clueless lol. COUNTERFEIT PILLS?!?! duuuuude...the thought of that infuriates me beyond measure. I mean pills are dangerous enough as it is, we dont need russian roulette added on top of it. I remember back in the day someone tried to sell me a whittled down altoid and tried to pass it off as a zubsolv. Luckily i spotted the inconsistancies immediately, and im really fucking lucky because i always snorted zubsolvs and snorting an altoid wouldve been hell. So are these counterfeit pills sold online, or made by hand? Is it all opiates like vicodin, morphine, etc? I'm so curious and furious at the same time lol. I need sooo much more information!!!
Oxy 30s containing fentanyl, xanax Bars that contain either more than 2mg of alprazolam, no alprazolam at all, an RC benzo or even fentanyl.
So u gotta be careful with who u get ur gear from these days.
But oh well, I think with vicodin there's no probs so far. I'm not based in the US but I'm aware (sorta) of how the opiate scene has changed and is at the moment. Take care bud

I meant restrictions from the drs that used to freely prescribe you 240 oxys and 90 xanax Bars 10 years ago lols. They dont prescribe shit nomore.

Well no one's mentioned that buprenorphine is only a partial agonist.

You could still use bupe, as long as you have a tolerance. If you do not have a tolerance, I would not recommend using bupe for 'recreational' purposes, as it can be too strong for a non-addict. But if you're going to use, then bupe does not produce as much respiratory depression, so it's always a 'safer' option.

There's always that risk I guess. Be very careful.
If anything, some opioids may be able to help alleviate your coughing fits (assuming you have them, as my stepfather who died of emphysema coughed a lot).

fent mostly

Hi Pahn,
I hope you don’t mind me asking, if you don’t want to give details I totally understand but I am just curious. You said you are only 34 years old? You were diagnosed with emphysema? Do you know how that happened at such a young age?

I see you are on suboxone, did you snort them often by chance? I have heard that this can cause emphysema and lung issues so I was just curious if that might be what led to your diagnosis? Did you smoke cigarettes as well?

I ask because I am on suboxone too, and I snorted mine a lot for a long time. I had a CT scan a few months back that showed a large cyst in my right lung. No other damage was seen and my pulmonologist says it’s congenital, and that it’s not linked to my past drug abuse. I have a hard time believing him though and I am worried that I caused this damage due to my suboxone snorting.

How did you find out you had emphysema? Was it a CT scan or just a Pulmonary Function Test?

I’m sorry you got that diagnosis at such a young age. I have heard in my research of people who have lived with it for decades and have kept it from progressing by staying really healthy through diet and exercise.

I hope you are doing well and taking care of yourself.

Thanks so much for any info you can share.