• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Emotional state V Neurological function, one mediates/determines proficiency of the other?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
What we feel is mediated through neural spikes, therefore impacting what we feel modifies the state of our nervous system.

There in are links that demonstrate the non-negligible effort of common paracetamol on emotional state.

Vitamin D, a cell nuclous transmitter = impacts emotional state.

Fish oil? TBD.

Almost anything I've found to impact the nervous system = impacts our emotional state, feelings, ultimately personality.

Conditions like depression, neural degeneration, all compromises in nerve function and conventional interventions have focused on drug therapeutics in attempt to alleviate "downstream" effects of the condition:

- depression, reduced signal discharge from nerve terminals, but the upstream determinant = the action potential frequency/strength.

- multiple sclerosis, compromise my myelin sheath integrity, which is mediated by microglial pruning which is determined by.... action potential strength integrity.

Etc etc.

Point being, intervention to affect emotionality = perhaps the primary mediator of sound nerve function.

PS - action potentials = known as "nerve excitation".

i.e. increase emotional excitation = potential to improve nerve excitation = long term neural well being.......

(that's my primary contention).

The left brain is thought to focus more on logic, while the right brain is thought to focus more on emotions. So left brain, male. And right brain, female. The two hemispheres, which more or less function automatically and independently, are connected by a bundle of nerve fibers called the corpus callosum. If you can match the two lobes' energetic frequencies, then you can achieve great mental states. Or, like me, if you are myopic in your left eye, the sum of input stimuli will go to your left brain, because your right eye is providing far more detailed optical imagery than my left eye does. If you look at the optical nerves, they both clearly switch from right eye to left brain and vice versa. Being overwhelmingly dominant left brain, a traditional talisman of the largely one eyed if the right eye dominates over the left eye, makes me less susceptible to emotions and more focused on getting results, such as staying high.

While I sympathize with the notion that modern psychiatric care cater tends to focus on ‘downstream’ effects, I’m not sure I would agree with the statement:

intervention to affect emotionality = perhaps the primary mediator of sound nerve function.

‘Sound nerve function’ requires a delicate balance of excitation and inhibition. So it’s incorrect to say:

increase emotional excitation = potential toimprove nerve excitation = long term neural well being

Just food for thought…

W.r.t. right brain/left brain - you are vastly misrepresenting the current understanding of brain lateralization. It’s certainly not male vs. female issue. In my opinion, that’s reminiscent of past scientific racism with e.g. social Darwinism. But now it’s scientific sexism with pop psychology

Some brain functions are lateralized, for sure. Language is generally left brain localized and spatio temporal functions are generally right brain localized. But this is an imperfect model. One only has to consider left handed individuals to see counterexamples to this claim

Not to mention language and spatio temporal function are not strictly independent. Search engines use a vector space model to evaluate semantic similarity!

So I would also posit that it’s incorrect to say:

If you can match the two lobes' energetic frequencies, then you can achieve great mental states.

Just my 2 ¢

While I sympathize with the notion that modern psychiatric care cater tends to focus on ‘downstream’ effects, I’m not sure I would agree with the statement:

intervention to affect emotionality = perhaps the primary mediator of sound nerve function.

‘Sound nerve function’ requires a delicate balance of excitation and inhibition. So it’s incorrect to say:

increase emotional excitation = potential toimprove nerve excitation = long term neural well being

Just food for thought…

In terms of specifics, yes.

But re the contention in question - everything we feel in our body = mediated through neural spikes.

That's the basis of how we feel, electricity in neurons.

That electricity can be mediated by boosting or blocking receptors and channels on those neurons, which is where drug use comes in.
Or anything that mediates nerve function, particularly in the brain.

Therefore, as emotion is mediated through these neural spikes, ANY drug acting on nerve function (in the brain), will affect our emotional state.

The links were to demonstrate that something as benign and considered non-psychoactive (conventionally) as paracetamol, does indeed impact emotional state to a clinically-relevant level.

In a sense, reverse engineering this situation, if we focus on emotion specifically, a means to mediate our emotions, sway or influence them one way or another, positively - then by default it enhances the functionality of our nervous system;

Improves action potentials -> improves signalling = increase overall nervous system integrity and capability.

I believe this focus is characterized as emotional-intelligence, which by way of modern therapeutic intervention is done via "cognitive therapy".

But I just don't think modern science has refined the process sufficiently to see the desired level of results........

But in time I think it can.