• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Emotional bluting caused by antidepressants vs benzodiazepines

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I thought that Pharmacology might be suitable for this topic. I've taken both antidepressants and benzos and know others who have taken them as well. The common theme that people describe is that their emotions are blunted i.e. they can't feel anything.

What is surprising is that people find the former (antidepressants) unpleasant in regards to losing their emotions. Very few if any describe it as positive. However, I know many people who find the emotional blunting caused by benzos to be calming, almost euphoric. I know I didn't care about anything but that wasn't because of depression, but because I felt numb to anything bad

Why the difference?

For me, blunting from antidepressants affects everything so *strongly* and it's consistent for months with no reprieve.
Good feelings, bad feelings, sex drive, thought processes, etc are all dead in the water.
I won't mess with SSRIs.

I didn't have the same issues with Bupropion.

Benzos only noticeably blunted my anxiety and negative feelings/thoughts.
(Put loosely.)

I won't mess with SSRIs.

I didn't have the same issues with Bupropion.

Benzos only noticeably blunted my anxiety and negative feelings/thoughts.
(Put loosely.)

I've been looking into the Ketamine as a solution to treat depression. I'm not entirely sure how it works but it's a dissociative and should certainly help in at least some way, the studies are showing lots of promise.

I wish there were a silver bullet, but trying to find out what is wrong with me is going to be hard - much of my problem is brought on my traumatic or extremely distressing events.

I've been looking into the Ketamine as a solution to treat depression. I'm not entirely sure how it works but it's a dissociative and should certainly help in at least some way, the studies are showing lots of promise.

I wish there were a silver bullet, but trying to find out what is wrong with me is going to be hard - much of my problem is brought on my traumatic or extremely distressing events.

I had a suicide attempt a few years ago and the attending ER Dr suggested looking into Ketamine as 1st choice or LSD or Mushrooms as second options but I know exactly zero about Ketamine other than it's making headway and looks promising.
All 3 are illegal here but he was very confident that many in his profession are looking favorably at them as options.
Being that I didn't have a single clue how to get any of those and chemicals sound much scarier, the first 2 were out.

I managed to acquire some shrooms the hard way (gardening, thanks internet, lol) and did some trials with those over a very long, dark, Winter.
I don't usually go into it much but I will say 100% I find them effective for me.
After various dosing schedules and amounts, I am very favorable towards responsible use and respect for shrooms.
I'm one of THOSE people now though. 😂 They changed me in a sense that I don't see them as a drug but a powerful gateway. I feel if I respect the source; I can trust the source to guide and heal.
We can have fun along the way to that place.