Mental Health EMOTIONAL BLUNTNESS

THXXX for your response. You couldn’t have put it better ~ I have also experienced Anhedonia…my psychiatrist denies this as a side effect. How long were you on Invega for & @ what dosage etc. Did your emotions come back & if so how long did it take?
Just to clarify, I have never had Invega injections. I have had Risperidone injections, which are considered Invega's little sister.

The info I got about Invega came from the Invega thread.

THXXX for the suggestion ~ I can’t laugh or cry on this drug…I really wish it were that simple.
Prozac killed my Affect. That is the emotional bluntness I think you describe, as well as Anhedonia from some antipsychotic meds IME. (I told my pdoc no meds where I feel like emotionally blunted, constantly exhausted and weight gain. We worked on that successfully but it took awhile).

For blunted affect - I switched to Zoloft and it whisked it away and the blunted affect you described disappeared. I have not taken your AP but I understand what you mean and experienced it on others.

Total loss of appetite—-I have struggled with this to the point where my body quit sending hunger signals like “hunger pangs” for a few years. This was due to Eating Disorder. It will return if one eats fairly regularly -

Same with lack of appetite IME as our bodies aren’t at our best starving … etc.

But yes yes 👍🏻 I have experienced both and they aren’t permanent for most of us. Sending hugs.

Last edited:
Prozac killed my Affect. That is the emotional bluntness I think you describe, as well as Anhedonia from some antipsychotic meds IME. (I told my pdoc no meds where I feel like emotionally blunted, constantly exhausted and weight gain. We worked on that successfully but it took awhile).

For blunted affect - I switched to Zoloft and it whisked it away and the blunted affect you described disappeared. I have not taken your AP but I understand what you mean and experienced it on others.

Total loss of appetite—-I have struggled with this to the point where my body quit sending hunger signals like “hunger pangs” for a few years. This was due to Eating Disorder. It will return if one eats fairly regularly -

Same with lack of appetite IME as our bodies aren’t at our best starving … etc.

But yes yes 👍🏻 I have experienced both and they aren’t permanent for most of us. Sending hugs.
THXXX for sharing ~ how did you force yourself to eat when you had no appetite…

THXXX for sharing ~ how did you force yourself to eat when you had no appetite…
*ED Trigger reply*

———

Your body just will start to fail on you mentally and physically if you become too underweight.

But yes there are tips like small easy foods like yogurts, protein bars, small portions of say a restaurant meal it’s ok to take home a lot of it. Oh! Spoonful of peanut butter if you like that.

Maybe those nutrition drinks like Ensure or protein shakes well that for sure would work. I just haven’t …. liquid calories are hard for me.

Or maybe one big meal a day? I like Intermittent Fasting 15/8 or 16/3 which can have health benefits but definitely ask your doctor.

Thinking of you.

*ED Trigger reply*

———

Your body just will start to fail on you mentally and physically if you become too underweight.

But yes there are tips like small easy foods like yogurts, protein bars, small portions of say a restaurant meal it’s ok to take home a lot of it. Oh! Spoonful of peanut butter if you like that.

Maybe those nutrition drinks like Ensure or protein shakes well that for sure would work. I just haven’t …. liquid calories are hard for me.

Or maybe one big meal a day? I like Intermittent Fasting 15/8 or 16/3 which can have health benefits but definitely ask your doctor.

Thinking of you.
I take a liquid supplement like Ensure but it wears thin pretty quickly so I’ve resorted to baby food pouches as I figure something is better than nothing? Am not underweight (just yet) have a fair bit of fat to still burn so hopefully this will help keep me alive longer! The one meal a day sounds like a good plan ~ sounds like you have been there done that in this area…