Mental Health EMOTIONAL BLUNTNESS

emotionalnumb

Bluelighter
Why don’t the psych/Drs understand ‘emotional bluntness’? It affects your interest & motivation to do absolutely ANYTHING! Is there a way to counteract the powerful effect of this drug ~ positive thinking just doesn’t cut it…

I think it is just think happy thoughts. If you can.. What do you mean by emotional bluntness? Are you having sad thoughts?

It’s more a feeling of ‘nothingness’ & can’t feel any emotion ~ so thinking happy or sad thoughts doesn’t have any effect…

Hmm.. I think I understand. So are you not content with that feeling of nothingness? If not... What would be your ideal feeling? I can definitely relate to that, by the way. Also, are you staying hydrated and eating enough whole grains and vegetables? (Unrelated I am just concerned about your physical health.)

Emotional blunting is a well known side effect of many psychiatric medications, even the common ones such as Prozac and Zoloft, and of course antipsychotics too. So any psychiatrist or doctor should know about it. Are your doctors claiming to not know what emotional bluntness is? Or are they saying that it's not a side effect of your medication?

Hmm.. I think I understand. So are you not content with that feeling of nothingness? If not... What would be your ideal feeling? I can definitely relate to that, by the way. Also, are you staying hydrated and eating enough whole grains and vegetables? (Unrelated I am just concerned about your physical health.)
It makes it hard to connect with other ppl & life? I like to feel the full range of emotions ideally which is what makes us human! I have COMPLETELY lost my appetite ~ trying to stay hydrated thank you for caring…

I take Prozac coincidentally and I do feel it makes me a little irritated. Neophyte do you think that Prozac can take away feelings of sympathy and empathy? As it Makes me feel ruthless.

It makes it hard to connect with other ppl & life? I like to feel the full range of emotions ideally which is what makes us human! I have COMPLETELY lost my appetite ~ trying to stay hydrated thank you for caring…
So last question, are you mainly focusing on survival? I think as long as your are healthy and alive that is all that matters. Do you know what I mean? Just my opinion that you should be only focused on your own survival. Sorry if I invaded your personal boundaries by saying that.

So last question, are you mainly focusing on survival? I think as long as your are healthy and alive that is all that matters. Do you know what I mean? Just my opinion that you should be only focused on your own survival. Sorry if I invaded your personal boundaries by saying that.
I know exactly what you are saying ~ but emotions make life worth living & we also need them for survival…otherwise we are just existing (not living) ie. if I had to attend a funeral I couldn’t cry & my fight or flight instincts aren’t working? Also, I have absolutely NO appetite so it is threatening my very existence! Meds SideFX.

I take Prozac coincidentally and I do feel it makes me a little irritated. Neophyte do you think that Prozac can take away feelings of sympathy and empathy? As it Makes me feel ruthless.
Oh yes, definitely, any antidepressant has the capacity to do that. I remember feeling like a zombie, "brain-dead", on a couple of different medications that I tried, Prozac being one of them.

I am literally going through exactly what you are describing. So I can relate. Though I'm not sure how to help. I think that if you were to constantly remind yourself that you will always be okay and that everything you are going through is a normal experience everything will be okay. Not sure what to say. But I can assure you you will be okay no matter what. Always and forever...

I would really like you to read about radical acceptance. Which I see as accepting and being okay (a.k.a. Neutral) with every experience you have.

Last thing about that subject is have you ever tried being funny, making a joke about your situation, forcing yourself to laugh for 30 seconds straight, or smile for a minute straight. Anything to do with laughter or happiness. It may be easier said than done so I understand if not.

Last thing about that subject is have you ever tried being funny, making a joke about your situation, forcing yourself to laugh for 30 seconds straight, or smile for a minute straight. Anything to do with laughter or happiness. It may be easier said than done so I understand if not.
THXXX for the suggestion ~ I can’t laugh or cry on this drug…I really wish it were that simple.

@emotionalnumb I assume the medication that caused the emotional blunting is Invega?

I experienced emotional blunting aka flat affect from Risperidone injections. Another byproduct of my injections was anhedonia, which is specifically the inability to feel pleasure. Unfortunately in the case of Invega, probably the only way to get your emotions back is to taper off Invega and wait. I'm sure you've read at least some of the Invega thread but I'd recommend reading it closer and perhaps even visiting the previous Invega threads. An anti-depressant may or may not help but it's worth at least trying.

My psychiatrist is the one who told me about emotional blunting, so yours should know what it means.

@emotionalnumb I assume the medication that caused the emotional blunting is Invega?

I experienced emotional blunting aka flat affect from Risperidone injections. Another byproduct of my injections was anhedonia, which is specifically the inability to feel pleasure. Unfortunately in the case of Invega, probably the only way to get your emotions back is to taper off Invega and wait. I'm sure you've read at least some of the Invega thread but I'd recommend reading it closer and perhaps even visiting the previous Invega threads. An anti-depressant may or may not help but it's worth at least trying.

My psychiatrist is the one who told me about emotional blunting, so yours should know what it means.
THXXX for your response. You couldn’t have put it better ~ I have also experienced Anhedonia…my psychiatrist denies this as a side effect. How long were you on Invega for & @ what dosage etc. Did your emotions come back & if so how long did it take?