• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Electrical feeling: Shocks and tingles in the head or back

I dont really know the scientific explanation other than its called "extra-pyramidial" effects. And it does have something to do with serotonin. Its about your seizure-threshold being tampered with.
Ive experienced it both when coming of SSRI's and post MDMA days.
Probably reduced serotonin levels, yes. Not necessarily beyond your normal baseline though.
[ 20 October 2002: Message edited by: leftknee ]

I've gotten these "shocks" when stopping a low dose of paxil (10mg).
I just started taking "zyban" (a bunch of samples a friend gave me) 300mg/day, to see what it does (i didnt take it long enough before). I am also taking adderall, i've been getting those shocks certain times of the day since starting the wellbutrin. Not uncomfortable though :)

Are you talking about pins and needles? Tingles and "shocks" can be caused by stretching the nerve roots that are innervating certain dermatomes.
I don't really have enough information. Intermittant? Can you link motions to the tingling? Can really be a lot of things from meds to posture to fracture.
Peace

Do you mean a tingle going threw your whole back basically feeling really good.. Is is the feeling for like 5 seconds and does it feel like it goes basically from the top of your spine to the bottom?
I used to get this alot. I love when it happens cause it feels so fucking good.. It is probably a sign of something bad. but oh well

The shocks/tingles can be due to serotonin but I have always had a hunch that they are more norepinephrine related. And I doubt that it is due to LOW serotonin levels.
How bad are the shocks?

I had a couple "zap" feelings when I started wellbutrin, but nothing since then and I've been on it for 2 years.

supposedly this "feeling" is due to a neuronal response to decreased serotonin. People who stop taking SSRI's (and TCA's, MAOIs) experience this...I have heard a couple of theories...
one is based on the function of the reuptake pump after removal of a reuptake blocker (SSRI). In this case, changes occured (downregulation) due to the constant presense of the drug (SSRI) and increased levels of serotonin. When the ssri is removed, the reuptake pump begins to function normally, decreasing the amount of serotonin in the synapse (remember, downregulation has occured, so there are less specific 5-ht binding sites)
there are a few studies:
Schatzberg AE Possible biological mechanisms of the serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome. J Clin Psychiatry 1997;58 (7):23-7.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9219490&dopt=Abstract
Black K, et al. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: proposed diagnostic criteria. J Psychiatry Neuroscience 2000;25(3):255-61.
Rosenbaum JE Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: a randomized clinical trial. Soc Biol Psychiatry 1998;44:77-87.
Gorden J, Rojas-Femandez C. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: putative mechanisms and prevention strategies. Can J Psychiatry 1998;43(5):523-4.

Very interesting...
A couple years ago, I went on a X bender for about 3 days in Vegas. I took about the same amount of pills as my friends did (8-10) and suffered (what I thought) was some serious shit.
Here it was...When I got back home, I was noticably depressed and, of course, tired (little sleep). Every time I laid down to sleep, I got violent shocks or "vibrations" pulsing through my head. Seemed like a seizure of sorts. I will tell you this - scared the living shit outta me! This went on for about 2 full days then eventualy subsided. Talked to my friends and they said that they "weren't themselves" and also depressed.
I never had this awful experience again. WTF was it? Bad pills? I rememeber asking BL for an explaination back then and no one knew.
Funny thing...I remember flying home and realizing how emotionaly messed up I was when I kept getting tears in my eyes - reading an article about that guy who does "Crossing Over"...I laugh now, but....

Dr Karl Jansen was asked to comment on the "electric shock" phenomenon in mixmag earlier this year. The shocks were basically what djsnaz described, and were reported by people after a period of heavy MD** use. He speculated that this was an "epileptic phenomenon" and stated there was "cause for concern". Unfortunately, that was pretty much the extent of his comments.
This phenomenon seems to be getting reported here on BL a bit more frequently - here is a recent thread on the topic. This is obviously an area that needs to be researched, but I doubt we'll see any research any time soon. :(
[ 29 October 2002: Message edited by: babydoc_vic ]

I tend to use diazepam on after taking MDxx and I still get the shocks. Also had them (headshox) while on Mushrooms. I thought that diazepam was used to bring people out of sezuires - funny how I still get this phenomena while using it.

So what if you arent taking any drugs and you get these?
I dont get them very often, but its like someone hooking me up to a car battery and giving me a ZAP. Shock that normally runs down a side of my neck and makes my neck muscles spasm. Dont get them very often, and i cant ever remember if a certain motion causes it. Any ideas?

Eternal X - right this might sound a bit silly but I can get them while totally straight. Here`s the weird bit: If I get a strange thought in my head that can trigger it off. Example. One night I was looking up at the stars thinking about whats beyond the edge of the universe and all that crap etc. All of a sudden - ZZAP!!! It`s like the fact that my brain couldn`t compute that thought?! Imagination overload?
Spooky.
I also used to get a similar thing as a kid, before I touched drugs, while I had the flu or a fever.
Also spooky.

i have been getting the head shocks latley in my head, and i never thought anything about this, but i am glad i read this, it happens everynow and then, but more so when i am on E, or a few days after.

nasty stuff this
havent had in years but i remember i had it just like snaz. everytime i would finally fall asleep (this was night no3 going into day4) its like i would see a flash and zap!!!! scared the fuck outt me!!!! i had heaps of xtc that weekend but i never really get it anymore
fuck!!! if your getting this and your not on drugs well theyre could be something seriously not right there

So what if you arent taking any drugs and you get these?
I have been getting these for a while now but I can't remember if my first symptoms occured after I had gotten into E. Well, I have not rolled for about a year and a half and I get these almost daily.
Here`s the weird bit: If I get a strange thought in my head that can trigger it off.
I know what you mean. I get these "shocks" all over my body but most commonly in my head and chest, often in my stomach area and sometimes in my wrists and knees. Whenever I get them they do seem to be traveling but not in any prefered direction. Im not sure how yet, but my thoughts seem to be able to "trigger" them.
I am not sure that this is even related to Ecstacy, It really hasn't been a problem or a major concern for me, and until reading this post I didn't know other people experience similar sensations.
[ 25 November 2002: Message edited by: GodsMind ]