View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ehrlich's reagent testing questions

Kallisti23

Bluelighter
How accurate is the Ehrlich's reagent for testing for LSD (or similar indoles). I recently got a test kit and decided to test out 3 different blotters, one of which I’m sure is LSD and two which I was very questionable about (heavy body load, quite stimmy feeling, different headspace), that I was almost sure must be some kind of phenetylamine or DOx, but all three samples turned fairly magenta. Now the bits of blotter I used were very small cuttings; is there any minimum size etc you need to get an accurate result?

I know many people say LSD-is-LSD, but can there just be very badly produced batches?

Edit: it’s my first time using Ehrlich's so don’t know if I’m maybe doing something wrong. It doesn’t seem too complex a process though... also does anyone know if they work to show other lysergamides? ICP- LSD etc.

Last edited:
What a question. Ehrlich's kit is very accurate. There's no such thing as ''bad batches''. Acid is Lucy.

Yeah that is exactly what is so confusing to me. I actually used one of the other tabs as a control because I was so sure that it was nBome or some RC. Horrible electric bodyload, jaw tension, stimulation - the works. But that turned magenta too... 🤔

Yeah that is exactly what is so confusing to me. I actually used one of the other tabs as a control because I was so sure that it was nBome or some RC. Horrible electric bodyload, jaw tension, stimulation - the works. But that turned magenta too... 🤔
Some Crystal has heavier body load in LSD. But electric bodyload extreme stimulation and jaw tensions are hall marks of any LSD trip.

Some Crystal has heavier body load in LSD. But electric bodyload extreme stimulation and jaw tensions are hall marks of any LSD trip.

I know that LSD can be a fairly stimulating drug. But this stuff even has a pretty strong uncomfortable body load at microdose level. Since I had always believed that there was no such thing as better or worse batches of acid I assumed it must have been something different. I have plenty of LSD experience, and most other tabs that have been tested positive and come from reputable producers have felt very “clean” even at moderate doses. With the body load usually being fairly mild to non existent until higher doses are reached. I guess without proper lab testing it’s impossible to know. Do you know if other lysergemides would also give a positive magenta result? Just curious if this could possibly be an explanation for the stark qualitative difference (over multiple tests, I’m perfectly aware of the impact of set and setting).

I know that LSD can be a fairly stimulating drug. But this stuff even has a pretty strong uncomfortable body load at microdose level. Since I had always believed that there was no such thing as better or worse batches of acid I assumed it must have been something different. I have plenty of LSD experience, and most other tabs that have been tested positive and come from reputable producers have felt very “clean” even at moderate doses. With the body load usually being fairly mild to non existent until higher doses are reached. I guess without proper lab testing it’s impossible to know. Do you know if other lysergemides would also give a positive magenta result? Just curious if this could possibly be an explanation for the stark qualitative difference (over multiple tests, I’m perfectly aware of the impact of set and setting).
Other lsyeramides are dosed onto blotter paper telling you what is it. Some LSD crystal is not 99.9% pure and instead like 84% pure or 95% these batches have have higher body load but are pretty nice to trip on anyways. LSD is also a substance which can give me very varying physical side effects depending on what food i eat. Any processed food consumed will have a negative reaction once LSD is ingested in your body it cleanses your mind soul and body out of all toxins. If your diet is bad it could very well be the most main reason

Considering the constant “there’s no such thing as good or bad batches of LSD, only LSD” narrative I wouldn’t have thought the purity would have made much of a difference in that sense (just potency). So in theory then you can have better or worse produced batches?

I don't think slightly impure lsd will have a different effect from a lower dose of pure lsd.

Lsd is very potent, and based on studies of close analogs, not very tolerant to molecular changes (outside of easily hydrolyzed esters or changes on the alkyl chains on the nitrogen, and these are often still less potent than LSD). For an impurity to matter, it would need to exert physiological effects at a 10 fold lower dose than lsd.

Set and setting may play role in causing subsequent trips to be uncomfortable after an original uncomfortable trip primes you.

LSD purity plays a big part every LSD chemist states it on their products and it is well known. The OG brother hood of love discuss it aswell. 99.9% LSD crystal is mega clean physical high and mental high while having extreme psychedelic visuals. 95% crystal fucks with your head high making you a bit foggy and harder to do things and fucks with your stomach causing nausea but still good. Crystal lower than that is just trash and usually not laid with or done by a very amateur chemist.

Top European producers and american have each crystal listed they sell RAW and its purity % and effects.

LSD purity plays a big part every LSD chemist states it on their products and it is well known. The OG brother hood of love discuss it aswell. 99.9% LSD crystal is mega clean physical high and mental high while having extreme psychedelic visuals. 95% crystal fucks with your head high making you a bit foggy and harder to do things and fucks with your stomach causing nausea but still good. Crystal lower than that is just trash and usually not laid with or done by a very amateur chemist.

Top European producers and american have each crystal listed they sell RAW and its purity % and effects.

How do you explain that though?

95% purity means 5% impurities.
5% of 100 mcg (assuming that is an avg dose) is 5 up. C or a compound to have activity at 5 ug means it is quite a bit stronger than LSD, which is highly unlikely.

That may be it then. The nice clean LSD that I use as a standard to compare the others too is from a well known and reputable producer. The other blotters may just be low purity. The worst quality one did all the things you mention; nausea, foggy head fuck, tight muscles and heavy body load...

I would also have thought that the level of impurities would be so low as to not be able to cause any drastic difference though...

How do you explain that though?

95% purity means 5% impurities.
5% of 100 mcg (assuming that is an avg dose) is 5 up. C or a compound to have activity at 5 ug means it is quite a bit stronger than LSD, which is highly unlikely.
LSD requires great care to it when been made LSD chemists know this you cant disagree with albert hoffman nick sands and owsely who all report the purity plays a major effect on the trip.

I am not convinced. Show some primary sources and I will buy it. I would prefer if they provided a mechanism, but I'd take a recorded source of any of the famed psychadelic chemists saying that purity effects the trip in a way that is unrelated to dose.

Slightly unrelated question; but does anyone here know if Ehrlic’s works for testing 1cp-LSD?

Set and setting may play role in causing subsequent trips to be uncomfortable after an original uncomfortable trip primes you.
[/QUOTE]

I can definitely get this point as I know the power of set and setting; and plasticity of a drug like LSD. It’s the fact that they would consistently produce such a strong uncomfortable physical body load and stimulation, which was even notable at microdose level (which I would not have gone into expecting) that leads me to question this.

Shulgin himself points out that the most common impurity from LSD synthesis (d-iso-LSD) is inactive.

Let me mention in passing, that there are three stereoisomers possible for d-LSD. There are d-iso-LSD, l-LSD, and l-iso-LSD. The inversion of the stereochemistry of the attached diethylcarboxyamido group of d-LSD gives the diastereoisomer (d-iso-LSD) which is a frequent synthetic impurity of d-LSD itself. The corresponding optical antipodes l-LSD and l-iso-LSD are also known and have been tasted. All three are completely inactive: d-iso-LSD shows no psychological changes at an oral dose of 4 milligrams; l-LSD none at up to 10 milligrams orally; and l-iso-LSD none at 500 micrograms orally. These dramatic decreases in potency show both the stereoselectivity of the native LSD molecule in producing its central effects, and the LSD-free purity of these isomers.

The only difference from taking LSD of lesser purity is a need for dose adjustment.

Shulgin himself points out that the most common impurity from LSD synthesis (d-iso-LSD) is inactive.

The only difference from taking LSD of lesser purity is a need for dose adjustment.
The whole point is that it is inactive it means it doesn't allow you to trip on it alone and gives negative physical side effects. Shulgin was the one who gave nick sands the recipe for 99.9% LSD. Shulgin and Nick later on agree that anything less than 99.9% LSD has more and more physical side effects when used.

You want to post a reference for that? From what I understand Sand and Scully were using a method not even detailed in TiHKAL (TiHKAL uses POCl3 I think, the Sunshine boys were using SO3/pyridine)... I don't even know if the two knew each other in the 60s/70s.

Arguably nobody is taking pure LSD if it's on a blotter paper... it's cut with cellulose!

You want to post a reference for that? From what I understand Sand and Scully were using a method not even detailed in TiHKAL (TiHKAL uses POCl3 I think, the Sunshine boys were using SO3/pyridine)... I don't even know if the two knew each other in the 60s/70s.

Arguably nobody is taking pure LSD if it's on a blotter paper... it's cut with cellulose!
Nick sands announced it in 2010 that shulgin and him had known each other since the 60's. Nick sands gave details on his synthesis in 2017 at orozara. And owesly gave a big speech about his days of making LSD during the 60's in 2011 australia. Its all on videos alot of footage to go back through.

Anyways here is the MAPs conference where nick sands gave the credit of orange sunshine to shulgin. https://maps.org/news/multimedia-li...volution-part-two-alexander-sasha-shulgin-the