View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ego death on low dose LSD?

luxray

Bluelighter
My first encounter with LSD was at a psy trance party in the woods. My blotters were suppose to be 125 ug, but people had told me they were strong/good. I only took one, but experienced what I can only describe as an ego death. I didn't think that was possible on such a low dosage? Is it possible that my blotter contained more than 125 ug?

The trip was not in any way a bad trip.

Here is my experience regarding the ego death:

I started with 2/3 of the blotter. After about 20 min I started to feel the come up. The body high was fantastic, but at the same time it felt sort of like I needed more. I wasn't completely «there», so instead of waiting I took the rest of the blotter. In retrospect it’s easy to see that I didn’t give Lucy enough time. I was impatient.

After 1,5-2 hours I experienced increased mucus production, which lead to coughing. I coughed until i started vomiting, or at least I tried to vomit (empty stomach). It continued for a while, before I found out I had to go lie down. My boyfriend (sober) came with me.

I laid down on the blanket and looked up at the sky, which was all covered with clouds. It was beautiful, colorful, peaceful. It all came to me at once. A man was dancing in the clouds. He turned into a Roman warrior. An archer, a sword-man, a guardian. He moved around and showed me different poses. The clouds changed colors and floated across the sky faster than normal. After a while, a hole in the clouds opened up and I could se the stars. Behind the stars everything was dark, a complete and utter darkness which I didn't even knew existed. Suddenly the universe dropped down towards me at great speed. I felt it in my stomach, like on a huge roller coaster. I felt infinitely small and I got the feeling that I was going to disappear into the void, into nothingness. I grabbed my boyfriend to keep me from getting drawn into the darkness. It was frightening, but manageable. The universe retreated, and I went back to looking at the Roman warrior, the man in the clouds.

After a while my boyfriend was getting cold, so he asked if it was okay that he went dancing, and that he would be back in 10 min. I said yes. In a way I wanted to be alone. I enjoyed it. Everything was beautiful and I felt an inner peace.

I laid there, all by my self, looking up into the sky. I closed my eyes and had beautiful complex CEV. When I opened my eyes I could still see the colorful clouds, the Roman warrior, the stars and the darkness. Soon it became difficult to know when my eyes were open, and when they were closed – the two were blending together. My inner peace faded, and my mind started working… I had been here a few hours now and I was getting anxious. Why didn’t anyone talk to me? All these people passed by, but nobody cared? Where was my boyfriend, why hadn't he returned? Here I was, completely and utterly alone… More alone than I had ever been.

It suddenly felt like I was going to fall asleep. Or was I already sleeping? I was afraid, cause wasn't it suppose to be impossible to fall asleep on acid? Were my eyes open? Or closed? I fought and fought, trying to hold on to the last bit of what felt safe. It was too much. I didn't think I could handle it. Why had I taken acid? Why did I take everything? Could I ever return? What if I had to throw up again, then I would drown in my own vomit.. Why could I hardly feel my body anymore? Would I die? Or am I already dead?

Suddenly, everything began to make sense. Everything mattered and my head was clear. I realized that all I had to do was stop fighting, and let go. For some reason it didn’t matter if it was dangerous or not. I let go, and everything around me fell apart. I no longer felt my body, and I went out into nothingness. I felt everything and nothing at once. I saw everything and nothing at the same time. Everything turned white. I didn’t exist anymore, nothing on earth existed, but at the same time everything existed as one unit. Everything was nothing and nothing was everything. I saw several sunrises, I felt eternity. It is just impossible to put everything that happened into words…

The term "ego death" is something that you can experience in all sorts of different mind states - while tripping, high, or even sober.

Psychedelics can certainly bring it out, sure, but all you need is within yourself.

I guess in the words of Alan Watts "don't try to figure out what it all means...your brain will take care of that by itself later"

It sounds like you get it though ;)

Despite what you may have read online, 125µg is a pretty solid dose that has the potential to make you lose touch with reality (if the dosage is accurate - see the "advertised vs actual dose" thread.)

Doesn't really sound like ego death to me, maybe some ego softening but actual ego death has a lot more unpleasant aspects to it than you described. 125 mics is a decent dose that can certainly give someone an intense trip, but IMO it would take much more than that to achieve true ego death on acid I've takin as much as ~250-300 misc and have never gotten ego death on acid. Shrooms on the other hand seem to produce ego death even at what are considered low doses in my experiences.

The term "ego death" is something that you can experience in all sorts of different mind states - while tripping, high, or even sober.

Psychedelics can certainly bring it out, sure, but all you need is within yourself.

I guess in the words of Alan Watts "don't try to figure out what it all means...your brain will take care of that by itself later"

It sounds like you get it though ;)

That does make sense :D

Despite what you may have read online, 125µg is a pretty solid dose that has the potential to make you lose touch with reality (if the dosage is accurate - see the "advertised vs actual dose" thread.)

Yeah, guess you're right. :) Just so used to people telling me you need at least 250 ug to trip properly.

Doesn't really sound like ego death to me, maybe some ego softening but actual ego death has a lot more unpleasant aspects to it than you described. 125 mics is a decent dose that can certainly give someone an intense trip, but IMO it would take much more than that to achieve true ego death on acid I've takin as much as ~250-300 misc and have never gotten ego death on acid. Shrooms on the other hand seem to produce ego death even at what are considered low doses in my experiences.

A lot more unpleasant aspects to it? From what I've learned, an ego death is different for every person, and varies from time to time. It's not necessarily unpleasant, it's not necessarily scary. But it can be unpleasant as hell, and scary as nothing you've ever experienced before. Like I B Profane, you could even experience an ego death while sober (while meditating, ect). But what do you consider a true ego death?

Regarding my experience, I have to say that it's impossible to describe what I experienced with words, it's like trying to write down a whole eternity on a piece of paper. There are also a lot of things that just cannot be explained at all, and a lot of things I don't remember.
If what I had was a "true ego death" or not...well I suppuse I don't know. But it certainly felt like an ego death to me. I've experienced ego softening on other substances before, but this was a whole other level.

Ego death (ie the experience of dying in the psychedelic state of consciousness) is inherently terrifying and unpleasant, it's never blissful and easy. It's the same kind of terror that anybody would feel instantly if a hungry lion enters the room, ie mortal fear/panic, the prospect of ceasing to be alive. Ego is by nature attached to its existence, and losing that attachment in ego death is not something that can be taken lightly and enjoyed recreationally.

The most basic human instinct is the will to survive, the determination to continue to exist into the future. When ego death looms during a psychedelic trip it comes into direct conflict with the basic instinct to continue to will one's own survival, which causes a panic fight/flight reaction.

Ego death is not something that can be experienced on a low dose gentle trip, and it cannot be experienced without ingesting any drugs

If your ego is gone then what part of you can be feeling it's loss?

When somebody experiences ego death they go down to their feral instincts so to speak. Look up vids of people on ayahuasca, as that one seems to produce pretty much guaranteed ego death from what I observed. It's always a rough journey, although in the end it could leave you with positive feelings/insight etc. That's how I've always understood ego death at least. That's why I love acid though, it gives you part of the psychedelic experience without shattering your ego, at least at medium or low doses

I see that you guys are having different opinions regarding ego-death, dosage, what it's like, ect. I've spoken with some old psychonauts, and ego death is indeed possible on lower doses of LSD (125 ug tab isn't that low of a dose either, if it is in fact 125 ug), also it's a different experience for every person (it's not necessarily terrifying, horrible or negative for everybody). Some people also tend to get them more easily than others. So I'm quite sure my dose was somewhere around 125 ug.

For me it was indeed horrible at first, but when I came back into my body everything was great and I was re-energized (although I was quite shook up a long time after). :)

I suppose the fundamental question is whether such an thing as an ego-death ever happens or if it's simply better described as "being unable to handle your high" which can certainly happen on low-dose acid to certain people.

Do you just wait around for these threads to show up Ismene? lol..

sounds like a great trip,
fulfilling in any way you might desire.

the term ego death is not negotiable currency and should fall out of use altogether in my opinion. very very hard to compare the quality of a person's experience.

you'll know its a ego death when it happends you trip ALOT harder off a smaller dose and no matter what you do it just gets more intense ego deaths happen to the best of souls ;) also your ego is gone then what part of you can be feeling it's loss? <-------- this right here sounds like close to ego death. when i had a ego death im sure somthing happend but i wasnt sure then i started searching for symptons ppl go threw with ego death and it matched mine perfect all i know is when you said i was scared to let go thats exactly me with my shroom ego death but after like 2hrs of them trying to dissinigrate my ego it happend and i let go i really agree with everything being nothing and nothing being everrything and you feel like everything at the moment and when you come back to your body you just had realizations like no other / Pure euphoria sounds legit 2 me